President Trump

vantexan

He plead guilty to campaign finance violations . There are a fair number of experts out there that say he would never have been convicted on those charges if he had gone to trial. He plead because they had him on multiple fraud and tax evasion charges. NY prosecuter got a political win at Cohen's expense.
If they are felonies he plead to, and it's Trump's money that was used, which has been said in Trump's defense, then is Trump complicit in committing a felony? They probably can't touch him while President, other than impeachment but doubtful the Senate will remove him. But if he's guilty of a felony then pretty likely they'll go after him after he leaves office if statute of limitations hasn't run out. Other Presidents, and others, have had campaign finance violations and just paid a fine. Why does this rise to a level of a felony? I see Judge Napolitano on FOX says he knows for a fact that NY prosecutors have serious felony charges against Trump lined up. And Trump just tweeted it's all on Cohen because as a lawyer he should've known better. I think Trump should be very careful in the future because it's doubtful any lawyer will work again as a fixer on his behalf.

It will be fine

If they are felonies he plead to, and it's Trump's money that was used, which has been said in Trump's defense, then is Trump complicit in committing a felony? They probably can't touch him while President, other than impeachment but doubtful the Senate will remove him. But if he's guilty of a felony then pretty likely they'll go after him after he leaves office if statute of limitations hasn't run out. Other Presidents, and others, have had campaign finance violations and just paid a fine. Why does this rise to a level of a felony? I see Judge Napolitano on FOX says he knows for a fact that NY prosecutors have serious felony charges against Trump lined up. And Trump just tweeted it's all on Cohen because as a lawyer he should've known better. I think Trump should be very careful in the future because it's doubtful any lawyer will work again as a fixer on his behalf.
It wasn’t just a paperwork mistake. Cohen set up shell corporations to hide the payments. The intent was to defraud voters, that’s why it’s not just a fine.

vantexan

It wasn’t just a paperwork mistake. Cohen set up shell corporations to hide the payments. The intent was to defraud voters, that’s why it’s not just a fine.
How were voters defrauded? Hillary worked with the DNC to rig the system against Bernie Sanders. By that standard did she defraud voters? Trump trying to make his indiscretions go away is pretty much the same as Congress shelling out millions to make theirs go away too, except they use taxpayer money to do it rather than their own.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
How were voters defrauded? Hillary worked with the DNC to rig the system against Bernie Sanders. By that standard did she defraud voters? Trump trying to make his indiscretions go away is pretty much the same as Congress shelling out millions to make theirs go away too, except they use taxpayer money to do it rather than their own.
Tu quoque
Failed argument
Try again

bacha29

Three simple words that sealed Cohen's fate....." willful tax fraud". The highest level of criminal behavior when it comes
to deliberate and designed efforts to avoid paying taxes.

If has been often mentioned that when it comes to Trump what will get him in the end are taxes. If in the end the courts rule that a sitting president cannot be indicted I seriously doubt that his party would ever consider backing him for another term simply to give the guy the opportunity to hide out in the WH for 4 more years. Losing 8 governorships and 40 seats in the House, it's time for the GOP to go look for an alternative presidential candidate for 2020.

vantexan

Three simple words that sealed Cohen's fate....." willful tax fraud". The highest level of criminal behavior when it comes
to deliberate and designed efforts to avoid paying taxes.

If has been often mentioned that when it comes to Trump what will get him in the end are taxes. If in the end the courts rule that a sitting president cannot be indicted I seriously doubt that his party would ever consider backing him for another term simply to give the guy the opportunity to hide out in the WH for 4 more years. Losing 8 governorships and 40 seats in the House, it's time for the GOP to go look for an alternative presidential candidate for 2020.
He gained seats in the Senate, about unheard of in a midterm. And other presidents have lost many more seats than he did. It'll come down to the economy.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
OK, how about this? Hillary's campaign paid for the Steele dossier through a law firm, keeping her name out of it. Is that illegal use of campaign funds? Serious question, doesn't require snarkiness.
Your argument is the equivalent of an accused murderer defending himself by saying "....but, OJ Simpson!!!!!".

Doesn't work.
Try again.

vantexan

Your argument is the equivalent of an accused murderer defending himself by saying "....but, OJ Simpson!!!!!".

Doesn't work.
Try again.
I'm not trying to defend Trump, I'm just pointing out the obvious. Democrats and Republicans in Congress have spent over $17 million to settle employee disputes including sexual harassment. That's something like 264 settlements if I remember right. Using taxpayer money to boot. What has Trump done that's so much worse? Shouldn't the Congressmen be prosecuted also? And using the standard that voters were defrauded because Trump didn't publicly disclose this hush money, even though it was his own money, would seem to apply to the Clinton campaign also. Did voters know that their vote for Sanders didn't matter because Hillary rigged things so he couldn't win? Did her campaign violate campaign finance rules by secretly paying for a dossier through a proxy, making the public unaware that this was campaign propaganda? I'm not saying Trump didn't do anything wrong, he may very well have. I'm just wondering why the natives have the torches and pitchforks out for Trump while there's a clear double standard for others doing similar things.

newfie

If it's illegal them in fairness they should go back and charge bill Clinton who did the same thing. I'm fine with an equal application of the law.

Box Ox

If it's illegal them in fairness they should go back and charge bill Clinton who did the same thing. I'm fine with an equal application of the law.

I’m fine with equal application too. The Clintons should be dragged out of bed tonight and charged if the Republicans have evidence of prosecutable crimes. If they do, they should be screaming at the top of their lungs about it.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Sloppy Choppers and Slouchy
hiden-agenda-600-li.jpg

bacha29

I’m fine with equal application too. The Clintons should be dragged out of bed tonight and charged if the Republicans have evidence of prosecutable crimes. If they do, they should be screaming at the top of their lungs about it.
If prosecutable new evidence can be found they should be prosecuted if the timeline hasn't already expired and the evidence trail hasn't gone cold but their GOP enemies had their chance tried but failed to compile a strong enough case to go to trial over and the question is , will the public tolerate another politically motivated trial of the Clinton's especially since Hillary has not held elected office for nearly 10 years and Bill 20? Is the prospect of gaining a conviction worth risking the heavy political price the GOP would no doubt pay if it failed to do so?..

newfie

That evidence is already out there. Neither side believes bill did wrong paying his hush money, your side believes Trump did doing the same thing