President Trump

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Aaaaand you don't realize that the correct wording, grammar, and punctuation would have been:
He doesn't realize we have something called the Department of Transportation.

So how can we take your posts that attempt to insult the intelligence of others seriously, homie?

We cannot.
same reason nobody reads your page and a half respones

newfie

Apparently not to you. How can I be a groupie if I don’t pay attention to what he posts. That’s just weird.

so you commented that the debate had gotten silly but only read one side?
his posting five shots for every one of mine and you missed his five and commented on one of mine.
yea i think your intentions are quite clear. carry on with your warped argument

LarryBird

Nothing more heartwarming than an unbiased moderator.

Impeach!!!!
It's not a moderator's job on a message board to be unbiased, their job is to make sure the terms of service are complied with, and that the discussion remains somewhat civil.

They're allowed to have their own opinions on matters at hand.

Don't be salty that @bbsam doesn't agree with you politically, brah. He seems like a really intelligent and level headed dude, so I'm sure it's not anything personal. He has his beliefs in what would make our country a better place, and you have yours. This difference of opinion, and the discourse it produced, used to be what made this country the great and progressive place it was.

Now, it's just a bunch of people lining up on opposite sides against each other and calling out names. The willingness to meet in the middle or concede that the other side might actually have the best way forward is gone. Sticking to your guns and going down with the ship has become the new norm.

We will be a superpower in decline, until we set aside this partisan dogfighting. If we don't even respect this country enough to set aside petty differences to move ourselves forward, how can we expect other's to respect us? Why would the world look to us for stability in the future, when we've got a buffoon tearing us apart in the oval office, and our own future stability is very much in question?

I think it's becoming laughable to say America is the greatest country in the world, and even more laughable to say we're the freest country. The truth is that we're probably the least free, free country in the world. We certainly have some really draconian laws that have made for the highest prison population in the world.

We'd be well advised to focus on compassion for non-violent drug offenders, overall prison reform, and dropping this asinine drug war. That's a start. The easy stuff. After that, we can start in on the more complicated issues. I want to live in a progressive country, one that allows freedom of religion, not one that allows people's religion to dictate our policy and our laws. We've lost our way.

We've let fear control us and color our decisions.

newfie

It's not a moderator's job on a message board to be unbiased, their job is to make sure the terms of service are complied with, and that the discussion remains somewhat civil.

Don't be salty that @bbsam doesn't agree with you politically, brah. He seems like a really intelligent and level headed dude, so I'm sure it's not anything personal. He has his beliefs in what would make our country a better place, and you have yours. This difference of opinion, and the discourse it produced, used to be what made this country the great and progressive place it was.

Now, it's just a bunch of people lining up on opposite sides against each other and calling out names. The willingness to meet in the middle or concede that the other side might actually have the best way forward is gone. Sticking to your guns and going down with the ship has become the new norm.

We will be a superpower in decline, until we set aside this partisan dogfighting. If we don't even respect this country enough to set aside petty differences to move ourselves forward, how can we expect other's to respect us? Why would the world look to us for stability in the future, when we've got a buffoon tearing us apart in the oval office, and our own future stability is very much in question?

I think it's becoming laughable to say America is the greatest country in the world, and even more laughable to say we're the freest country. The truth is that we're probably the least free, free country in the world. We certainly have some really draconian laws that have made for the highest prison population in the world.

We'd be well advised to focus on compassion for non-violent drug offenders, overall prison reform, and dropping this asinine drug war. That's a start. The easy stuff. After that, we can start in on the more complicated issues. I want to live in a progressive country, one that allows freedom of religion, not one that allows people's religion to dictate our policy and our laws. We've lost our way.

We've let fear control us and color our decisions.
Will you be leaving this oppressive country to go to a free country?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Don't be salty that @bbsam doesn't agree with you politically, brah. He seeMs to be a butt.
I agree with you.
Try telling that to
@DriveInDriveOut
@Sportello
@It will be fine

LarryBird

Will you be leaving this oppressive country to go to a free country?
No, I'd rather stick around and fight for what I believe in.

Although there's a number of countries I believe I wouldn't mind living in, and might even prefer, like France or Spain, but they don't want ugly Americans :censored2:ting up the joint. So it's basically not even a possibility if that was something I was interested in doing - you are not getting a work permit there, and would be relegated to a life of :censored2: cash jobs, if you were able to find work at all.

Don't mistake my critiques of America for a dislike of my country. It's the opposite, in fact. I love this country so much, that it annoys me to see what we're becoming, and I know we're better than this. I want to see us return to greatness, and I believe that it's possible if we take some responsibility for where we've :censored2:ed up and do what's necessary to fix it.

Politicians pandering to the lowest common denominator to win/keep their offices, instead of doing what's truly best for this country, and what they really believe in doesn't serve the greater good, it keeps us stuck in the same old cycle of mediocrity.

There's a reason that politicians running for national offices suddenly find religion, and it's not because they believe, it's because they're pandering to voters who let religion color their politics. There's a reason that east coast elites start talking like down home good old boys when they're visiting these places in the flyover states - they're pandering to the same people there that they're laughing at the minute they get back on the plane.

There's a few basic things that need to change before we can really ever move forward. Prison reform and the war on drugs, as I've mentioned previously, and then election reform along with term limits and changes in campaign finance laws are probably the biggest.

Career politicians have ruined this country. This post is long enough, so I'm not gonna elaborate on that any further here, but nearly anyone with half a brain should realize this and agree with it.

LarryBird

Why? Did they chase you away? Did you fill your diaper because the bullies were mean to you? ;)
Reported.

That's not how moderators should conduct themselves, so I'm telling.

And keep your opinions to yourself while you're at it, too, bro. How dare you voice what you think on a message board?

LarryBird

I find it extremely odd that I'm painted as some kind of extremist because I want our country to take care of it's citizens, and hold true to the ideals that made us great, like being a nation of immigrants and a melting pot etc.

Being for gun control isn't wrong either, it's logical. We have a problem with gun violence, and we need to change the level of access to weapons of war - handguns and assault rifles aren't meant for sport, they were made to kill. Period. Nobody wants to take away your bolt action rifle. They want to regulate semi-automatic killing machines, and make it harder for mentally ill people to commit mass shootings. The argument that we need to have guns to protect against govt tyranny seems disingenuous, if not straight out laughable. The argument that we need all these guns because we need good guys with weapons to protect against bad guys with weapons seems a bit flawed as well, I thought that's why we paid all these policemen and had a national guard. The last thing we need, in my opinion is a bunch of untrained yahoos firing off potshots in a crowd, in the name of protection against the 'bad guys'. That doesn't make me feel safer, it makes me feel more likely to get hit by a stray bullet.

The fact that I want a clear separation of religion and state isn't weird, it's how it was supposed to be. Being pro-choice isn't wrong, and it's not an endorsement of abortion. It is respecting a woman's choice to make an informed decision about her own body and whether or not they want to bring a child into the world that they might not be equipped to provide and care for - if conservatives, who claim to be anti-welfare, put their religion aside, you would think this would be something they would be firmly behind.

I'm basically for common sense. I'm a realist. Clinging to the past just for tradition's sake, doesn't seem like a very wise position to take. Change is constant, and most people don't necessarily love it, myself included. But I can recognize that many of our laws and belief systems need to change, some drastically, and others just need a little tweak. But remaining stagnant, as the rest of the world around us changes, is not an option - it's the death knell of empires past their prime.

newfie

No, I'd rather stick around and fight for what I believe in.

Although there's a number of countries I believe I wouldn't mind living in, and might even prefer, like France or Spain, but they don't want ugly Americans :censored2:ting up the joint. So it's basically not even a possibility if that was something I was interested in doing - you are not getting a work permit there, and would be relegated to a life of :censored2: cash jobs, if you were able to find work at all.

Don't mistake my critiques of America for a dislike of my country. It's the opposite, in fact. I love this country so much, that it annoys me to see what we're becoming, and I know we're better than this. I want to see us return to greatness, and I believe that it's possible if we take some responsibility for where we've :censored2:ed up and do what's necessary to fix it.

Politicians pandering to the lowest common denominator to win/keep their offices, instead of doing what's truly best for this country, and what they really believe in doesn't serve the greater good, it keeps us stuck in the same old cycle of mediocrity.

There's a reason that politicians running for national offices suddenly find religion, and it's not because they believe, it's because they're pandering to voters who let religion color their politics. There's a reason that east coast elites start talking like down home good old boys when they're visiting these places in the flyover states - they're pandering to the same people there that they're laughing at the minute they get back on the plane.

There's a few basic things that need to change before we can really ever move forward. Prison reform and the war on drugs, as I've mentioned previously, and then election reform along with term limits and changes in campaign finance laws are probably the biggest.

Career politicians have ruined this country. This post is long enough, so I'm not gonna elaborate on that any further here, but nearly anyone with half a brain should realize this and agree with it.

So now that you've identified the problem what will you do to fix the Democrats?

LarryBird

So now that you've identified the problem what will you do to fix the Democrats?
I'm not quite sure, but I do know it's a problem on both sides.

The only way to have honest politicians, with the balls to act boldly, and try to change this machine, is to make single term limits, and provide candidates with fixed public money campaign war chests, in my opinion.

As long as they can serve for as long as they're able to secure a victory, nothing will change, nobody will do anything to upset "the base", and fund raising will continue to begin on day one after the election, and remain their number one priority while in office.

It will be fine

I'm not quite sure, but I do know it's a problem on both sides.

The only way to have honest politicians, with the balls to act boldly, and try to change this machine, is to make single term limits, and provide candidates with fixed public money campaign war chests, in my opinion.

As long as they can serve for as long as they're able to secure a victory, nothing will change, nobody will do anything to upset "the base", and fund raising will continue to begin on day one after the election, and remain their number one priority while in office.
Term limits enshrine a government run by unelected lobbyists that will understand how the system works. They’re a fine idea in theory but in practice they only further control by corporate interests that can afford to have permanent lobbying staff.

LarryBird

Term limits enshrine a government run by unelected lobbyists that will understand how the system works. They’re a fine idea in theory but in practice they only further control by corporate interests that can afford to have permanent lobbying staff.
I disagree.

I think it helps eliminate the influence of lobbyists, and it makes for politicians with a sense of urgency to accomplish what they can with the limited time they have in office. It removes the 'cover your ass' mentality that pervades politics today, and makes them more willing to make the tough but necessary decisions that might not be popular, but may take the country in the right direction, and ultimately be the correct course of action.

Politicians who need to raise funds and have powerful benefactors to remain in office will always be beholden to those lobbyists and the corporations that employ them. Politicians with no need for funds and no interest in preserving a career will be more able to act of their own volition, and on behalf of their constituencies best interests.

It's pretty simple. Take the money and the C.Y.A. mentality out of politics. Make it a temporary service to the people and this country and not a career.

Plus, in regard to your comment about lobbyists who would then know the system better than the politicians, one could argue that's already true. But assuming it's not, for a minute, there would still be career staffers and consultants that work the hill, and they would still be there to do the bulk of the heavy lifting and provide guidance, just as they do now, only the final decision makers would be unburdened by reelection worries and free to follow their conscience and what they stand for, for a change.

It will be fine

I disagree.

I think it helps eliminate the influence of lobbyists, and it makes for politicians with a sense of urgency to accomplish what they can with the limited time they have in office. It removes the 'cover your ass' mentality that pervades politics today, and makes them more willing to make the tough but necessary decisions that might not be popular, but may take the country in the right direction, and ultimately be the correct course of action.

Politicians who need to raise funds and have powerful benefactors to remain in office will always be beholden to those lobbyists and the corporations that employ them. Politicians with no need for funds and no interest in preserving a career will be more able to act of their own volition, and on behalf of their constituencies best interests.

It's pretty simple. Take the money and the C.Y.A. mentality out of politics. Make it a temporary service to the people and this country and not a career.

Plus, in regard to your comment about lobbyists who would then know the system better than the politicians, one could argue that's already true. But assuming it's not, for a minute, there would still be career staffers and consultants that work the hill, and they would still be there to do the bulk of the heavy lifting and provide guidance, just as they do now, only the final decision makers would be unburdened by reelection worries and free to follow their conscience and what they stand for, for a change.
They’ve tried it in Ohio and the results are what I described not what you dream would happen.

LarryBird

They’ve tried it in Ohio and the results are what I described not what you dream would happen.
I'm not talking about the Ohio state legislature. We're talking about congress and the senate here. Nobody outside of Ohio cares what happens in Ohio.

Congressmen and Senators make decisions that affect all of us nationwide, and they should not have the ability to serve for an unlimited number of years. That serves nobody but them and their career, and practically guarantees they will take the easy or safe/popular route to reelection over making the tough decisions that need to be made, and ensures they will remain beholden to special interests because of the money necessary to run again and protect their cushy job on the hill.