President Trump

Box Ox

Why don’t you just get back to agreeing with me that corrupt officials and misuse of disaster funding isn’t limited to Peurto Rico?

Oh I agree with that. It's the lack of enforcement to mitigate or stop it on Puerto Rico's end that's the problem.

Box Ox

Between trade policies and horrific flooding this spring, farmers have had it rough.

And I’d be willing to suggest that some of those folks professing outward faith in the president, might just not have their vote represent the same. Because those bailout checks to farmers don’t even come close to covering cost.

And when will the tariffs end? According to the president, they probably won’t and will be more after the 2020 election.

How many farmers can afford that gamble for another four years?

Farmer Approval of Trump Hits Record, Poll Shows — The Wall Street Journal

"Approval of President Trump among farmers in the Corn Belt is on the rise following the signing of the long-awaited U.S.-China trade deal last week.

According to a monthly poll from agricultural trade publication Farm Journal released Sunday, 83% of farmers and ranchers approve of the president’s job performance. It is the highest level of support for Mr. Trump among farmers since he took office, Farm Journal said.

The poll collected 1,286 responses among roughly 5,000 ranchers and farmers asked via text to give their opinion. Respondents were nationwide, but concentrated mostly in Midwest states like Illinois, Iowa, Indiana and Nebraska.

“We have heard repeatedly from farmers that they believe in the end of the trade fight with China,” said John Herath, news director at Farm Journal.

The uptick in farmer support comes following the signing of the so-called phase-one trade agreement in Washington on Wednesday. The deal stipulates that China will purchase roughly $36 billion worth of U.S. agricultural exports in 2020, and over $43 billion in 2021.

Also playing a role in boosting farmer sentiment is the U.S. Senate passing the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement on Thursday, the free-trade deal replacing the 26-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement.

“This trade agreement comes at a critical time for farmers and ranchers, increasing optimism that we’ll turn the corner in 2020,” said American Farm Bureau President Zippy Duvall in a statement Thursday following the Senate vote."

bbsam

Staff member
Farmer Approval of Trump Hits Record, Poll Shows — The Wall Street Journal

"Approval of President Trump among farmers in the Corn Belt is on the rise following the signing of the long-awaited U.S.-China trade deal last week.

According to a monthly poll from agricultural trade publication Farm Journal released Sunday, 83% of farmers and ranchers approve of the president’s job performance. It is the highest level of support for Mr. Trump among farmers since he took office, Farm Journal said.

The poll collected 1,286 responses among roughly 5,000 ranchers and farmers asked via text to give their opinion. Respondents were nationwide, but concentrated mostly in Midwest states like Illinois, Iowa, Indiana and Nebraska.

“We have heard repeatedly from farmers that they believe in the end of the trade fight with China,” said John Herath, news director at Farm Journal.

The uptick in farmer support comes following the signing of the so-called phase-one trade agreement in Washington on Wednesday. The deal stipulates that China will purchase roughly $36 billion worth of U.S. agricultural exports in 2020, and over $43 billion in 2021.

Also playing a role in boosting farmer sentiment is the U.S. Senate passing the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement on Thursday, the free-trade deal replacing the 26-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement.

“This trade agreement comes at a critical time for farmers and ranchers, increasing optimism that we’ll turn the corner in 2020,” said American Farm Bureau President Zippy Duvall in a statement Thursday following the Senate vote."
I would be a bit wary of reading a lot into this.
Trump’s margin of victory in didn’t have a lot of wiggle room.
The results are based slightly better than 25% respondents. That’s 1286 responding nationwide. While the poll does say something, it doesn’t focus narrowly enough to say what’s happening with some very tightly contested states. Wisconsin comes to mind. The states that don’t come to mind are the ones that had the most respondents. Illinois is not going to Republicans. The other three were easily into the red column in 2016. I think Iowa has become a tighter race this time around
Now I’m not saying that Trump support hasn’t grown with farmers. I am saying that if it were late October 2020, I wouldn’t be hanging my election expectations on this poll.

bbsam

Staff member
So let me get this straight.

The current president beat the polls, beat the establishment, and beat the opposition’s funding machine.

And now the current re-election crowd is crowing about their polls, their incumbency, and their fund raising.

Fascinating

Box Ox

The results are based slightly better than 25% respondents. That’s 1286 responding nationwide.

Only 1,068 respondents would be needed to achieve a 95% confidence level and a confidence interval (margin of error) of +- 3% in a nationwide poll that represents the entire US population.

So 1,286 of the estimated 2.6 million farmers and ranchers in the US is also a plenty adequate sample size.

Now I’m not saying that Trump support hasn’t grown with farmers. I am saying that if it were late October 2020, I wouldn’t be hanging my election expectations on this poll.

Of course not. Hillary won the popular vote in 2016 by more than the total number of ranchers and farmers in the US today.

bbsam

Staff member
Only 1,068 respondents would be needed to achieve a 95% confidence level and a confidence interval (margin of error) of +- 3% in a nationwide poll that represents the entire US population.

So 1,286 of the estimated 2.6 million farmers and ranchers in the US is also a plenty adequate sample size.

Of course not. Hillary won the popular vote in 2016 by more than the total number of ranchers and farmers in the US today.
This poll reminds me of my buddy who I picked up at the hospital after spending 10 days there for a collapsed lung. As he lit up a cigarette he explained that aside from the collapsed lung and the black mark on his other lung the doctor said he’s in 95% good health. Ok then.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Nobody said that but you’ll hear what you want to hear.
I'd suggest the implementation of greater aid oversight and controls in Puerto Rico so the "They're corrupt so we won't send aid" card can't be played for illegitimate reasons. But that might be considered by some to be demeaning and racist toward Puerto Ricans.

Definitely demeaning and racist but not just a little hypocritical.
Good morning, Nobody!