Procedures for delivering to Post office???

bigbrownhen

What is your normal routine when delivering to the post office. Do you put bags and loose pkgs in their carts or on the dock? I have in the past placed their stuff in a cart when one is available, but that was only a few bags and smalls. Now they are getting 40 to 60 pcs a day.

Normally, I go ring the bell and start scanning pkgs. By the time I'm done scanning and placing them up on the dock, they might have come out by then. I have waited up to 20 min for them to come to the door. Only a few people are allowed to sign.

Yesterday, I was informed by the post master that via "email" from her supervisors, UPS can no longer leave the pkgs on the dock, we must place them in the carts for them. She brought a copy of the email out on the dock with her. This is after one of the USPS workers watched us(Helper with me), stack boxes neatly and put smalls and a few bags in one cart. As we go to leave, he hollars "Aren't you going to put those in the cart?" I said "No, not my job." I stack them as neat as possible, I have to get moving." That's when he went to get the Post master.

I told her I would help her cart them this one time, but unless informed by my center manager to do so daily, not to expect it in the future. I called the center to let them know what happened. I just wonder what the result will be.

Anyone else have this issue with the PO?

rod

Retired 22 years
From my experiences with situations like this I would bet that UPS will side with the USPS and leave you standing on the dock looking like an idiot for even dreaming that UPS would take your side. And by the way there will be no extra time allowance for the extra handling of the packages.

robot

Has A Large Member
I hate delivering to post offices. They never respond to the buzzer. They'll ignore you. If you ask someone a question they will usually shrug their shoulders and walk off. If one does stop to "help" you the mother usually has the biggest attitude. Screw the post office!!!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
What is your normal routine when delivering to the post office. Do you put bags and loose pkgs in their carts or on the dock? I have in the past placed their stuff in a cart when one is available, but that was only a few bags and smalls. Now they are getting 40 to 60 pcs a day.

Normally, I go ring the bell and start scanning pkgs. By the time I'm done scanning and placing them up on the dock, they might have come out by then. I have waited up to 20 min for them to come to the door. Only a few people are allowed to sign.

Yesterday, I was informed by the post master that via "email" from her supervisors, UPS can no longer leave the pkgs on the dock, we must place them in the carts for them. She brought a copy of the email out on the dock with her. This is after one of the USPS workers watched us(Helper with me), stack boxes neatly and put smalls and a few bags in one cart. As we go to leave, he hollars "Aren't you going to put those in the cart?" I said "No, not my job." I stack them as neat as possible, I have to get moving." That's when he went to get the Post master.

I told her I would help her cart them this one time, but unless informed by my center manager to do so daily, not to expect it in the future. I called the center to let them know what happened. I just wonder what the result will be.

Anyone else have this issue with the PO?

Sorry for not reading the OP first. I've been getting this too, as in preloading USPS boxes as RDRs into a car. I'm sure they try to go threw us to rid themselves of their own production. Sure, their good at moving smalls, real smalls, like envelopes. But for boxes, they seem to have trouble with.

I really think the standard should be to get the job done at a quick, but safe pace. Its peak, so times are harder and longer. If people arnt prepared for the incoming, then thats too bad. The center manager or person they speak to on the phone should be clear to have the "equipment" there and ready for use. That someone should be waiting to open as soon as you arrive. That standards should imply to both parties, period.

SpoolEmUp

My USPS packages are always bundled in huge bags. The bags have a label I scan.Pretty simple, throw em' up on the dock, ring the buzzer, scan both, get the sig, bicep flex and a wink and I'm off.

bigbrownhen

center manager agreed with me. I explained so today when I was there. No issue. Email will be sent to her boss. Run it up the chain and let them argue over it. She was very helpful today. USPS employee was there shortly after I rang the bell. Packages scanned, placed up on the dock, she loaded her own carts. Worked out fine if we cooperate with each other.

helenofcalifornia

I didn't know I had it so easy. I just go through the double doors and look for my person to sign. I put the bags on a cart along with the loose ones, get the signature and on to the next stop. I would hate to wait for a buzzer. Why so much security?

rod

Retired 22 years
center manager agreed with me. I explained so today when I was there. No issue. Email will be sent to her boss. Run it up the chain and let them argue over it. She was very helpful today. USPS employee was there shortly after I rang the bell. Packages scanned, placed up on the dock, she loaded her own carts. Worked out fine if we cooperate with each other.

Wow! That amazes me. Keep us informed ------I just can't believe a UPS/USPS hug fest has a chance of lasting for any length of time---espicially through the peak season.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
the Post Office i deliver to is a huge PITA. If i deliver first thing in the morning i have to beg borrow or steal carts AFTER i have spent at least 10 minutes leaning on the bell to open the door ( dont EVEN think about leaving the packages and bags on the dock, they wont sign for them and we have been told to 'comply' with their requirements) If i come later in teh day after fighting the surepost bulk all morning i can get all the carts i want..............but they drag their heels getting to the door,and then whinge and complain about A) the volume B) being delivered after 12 pm C) UPS making too much money on surepost while the USPS 'does all of the work'
I almost mouthkissed the dispatcher when he told me this morning the post office was off my route until after peak =)~

bigbrownhen

Now that is over the top. No way I'd let that one go. Guess you're stuck if center manager won't help you on this one. Next time the district manager comes to town, you might bring it to his/her attention. That much time per day in a year, cost UPS alot of money. It just takes cooperation on both parts.

satellitedriver

DR, back door.
Really.
My furthest, rural PO is almost always closed when I get there.
I was told by a sup, on an OJS ride, that I could.
I work as directed and have never gotten "heat" over it.

rod

Retired 22 years
DR, back door.
Really.
My furthest, rural PO is almost always closed when I get there.
I was told by a sup, on an OJS ride, that I could.
I work as directed and have never gotten "heat" over it.

I sure hope you had him put that in writing and sign it----Thats just basic UPS driver 101--

bigbrownhen

Today, they came out rather quick, pushed three carts toward the end of the dock and said, "there you go, fill them if you need them".. My response was. "Uh, no I will not fill those by myself. I will help, we will work together. I explained again, my center manager said it is not my resposibility to load your carts." Three of them came out to help after that. Working together, we had it done in just a few minutes. They are just as slammed as we are. In the same boat.

If this gets any uglier, my center manager will have to get involved, maybe even a few links up the chain.

UPSGUY72

Went to a post office today and they started to complain about the bags of packages that we have been bringing them. They said they don't want the bags that the pre-load stuff full of packages any more. I told the guy that he needed talk to his boss because the bags are part of the agreement that UPS and USPS have with each other it a national things not just in this area.

bigbrownhen

I brought a concern from the Post Office about the bags being stuffed so tight to the center manager. They had to cut the bags to get pkgs out. I even had a few bags that had a big box taped to the outside of it. The problem has been corrected. I bet that's why they don't want the bags anymore. Try talking to your center team about it and see if they will ease up a bit on the stuffing.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I can relate to those poor USPS employees. Two of five days this week UPS delivered an overstuffed TP60 to my work location. Could not get the door open on the second day. After struggling with the door for 10 minutes we resorted to the CAN OPENER and used a forklift to get the door open.
Had a coworker in another satellite location have to actually use a sledgehammer to break his door open.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can relate to those poor USPS employees. Two of five days this week UPS delivered an overstuffed TP60 to my work location. Could not get the door open on the second day. After struggling with the door for 10 minutes we resorted to the CAN OPENER and used a forklift to get the door open.
Had a coworker in another satellite location have to actually use a sledgehammer to break his door open.

I used to pull a TP60 and I remember several times when the door wouldnt open due to it being overfilled. One trick I resorted to was to find an empty parking lot and go "drag racing" with the trailer still hooked up. I would floor it, get going as fast as I possibly could, and then lock up the brakes in order to force the volume in the trailer to shift forward far enough to free up the door. As a last resort, the "can opener" forklift always works, but at the cost of mangling packages and/or forcing the door off of its tracks.