Professionalism

FedExRookie

I saw a Ground driver gassing up at the same station I was. I know him from passing glances, but not personally. He's from another terminal, just passing through town. I work a decent terminal, and we have our share of knuckle draggers, but for the most part we are a tight crew. What this guy was doing made my jaw drop. I'm no policy whore, and a little rule bending is common anywhere. But this guy was on another level. I seriously wanted to film him and upload it on youtube.

Anyway, I nodded as I pulled in and we gassed up at the same time.

ME: Turn off engine, open gas tank, swipe card, pump gas.

OTHER GUY: Pulls in. Steps out of vehicle, while leaving the engine idling... Runs the card and starts pumping. Lights up a cigarette. Pulls out his cell phone and makes a call (18 inches from the pump, while smoking). It seems his call is to another driver. He is talking about his sexual exploits the night before, dropping friend bombs, and talking about a female driver he'd like to shack up with. He's very loud, and atleast 3 other people getting gas can hear him and are looking at him funny. When he's done, he gives me a wave, and speeds off flicking his cigarette out the window and forgetting to put the gas cap back on. The other people getting gas looked at me questioningly, so I just shrugged. I know I'm under the contractor umbrella, and I can accept that, but I still like to take at least a but of pride in my work. Are other Ground drivers like this in your areas?

There are ground drivers and express drivers, while not quite at this level, there are some from both opcos that are unprofessional.

I am here to clear a misconception though, you can safely use your phone while pumping gas.

Doc Sorting Dude

I'm really fat because I eat cheese puffs all day. Those poor sweat shop workers who make the FedEx shorts in Mexico must spend all day on my size 52's. Great ideas though.

It's a good thing you don't work for that airline that's only going to hire petite lightweight stewardesses/stewards. They feel they can save money but not having the aircraft strain from all the extra weight.

bbsam

Staff member
I look terrible in a skirt. Actually, I don't know. I haven't been able to see my feet since 8th grade.
I think the joke has run its course and it's time to consider your weight for the serious issue it is. Patrice O'Neal was far funnier, a comic genius gone far too soon.

bbsam

Staff member
Mr Fed Ex, us Ground drivers leave our trucks running because we lazy. 90 stops per day = 90 times turning off the ignition + 90 times turning it back on. Thats 180 turns bro. That takes a lot of energy. Each turn takes 2 seconds, so that's 360 seconds, or 6 minutes. Might want to check my math, as I'm drinking boxed wine. It's all I can afford. Until BB Sam gives me a raise.
Since you won't get a raise from me, I will reiterate the tip. Lose some weight. A lot of weight. No, I'm not joking.

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

I have to disguise my identity a bit. I added and subtracted a few features. You can make a random guess and have a 1/9 chance of getting it right. Well, maybe 1/8 ;)

bbsam

Staff member
Hmmm. I do pay the best of the contractors in the building. You are free to shop your skills around.

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

BB Sam, I'm just livening up this place, don't take it personal. The more active these threads are, the more active the forum is, and the more potential couriers and Ground drivers may come post here. I despise Fred, Ground, and the treatment of Express drivers. My stupid posts keep people reading, which generates activity. If they read my useless crap, they're more likely to read the imperative stuff (union, wages, inside info) from MFE, r1a, etc.

thedownhillEXPRESS

BB Sam, I'm just livening up this place, don't take it personal. The more active these threads are, the more active the forum is, and the more potential couriers and Ground drivers may come post here. I despise Fred, Ground, and the treatment of Express drivers. My stupid posts keep people reading, which generates activity. If they read my useless crap, they're more likely to read the imperative stuff (union, wages, inside info) from MFE, r1a, etc.

I think your posts are very informative, keep em coming!

bbsam

Staff member

Imperative stuff? To what end? R1@ has been very specific of the steps that need to be taken. The time for "forum activity" was years ago. So other than some witty and entertaining posting, what are you willing to do? Or are you another one of those "activists in waiting"?

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

I WAD and spread WAD. I also have signed a union card and have spread my feelings of unionizing to as many people will listen. I enjoy posting and if it attracts just a few schlubs here who happen to see a few different view points to other Ground, couriers, etc. it pleases me. I've worked for different opcos, and I currently work somewhere in the system. I do embellish some things for humor of course :)

bbsam

Staff member
That's all well and good. I would suggest you read up on R1a's posts to find out further action should you wish to help. There's alot to be done and to this point few have any motivation to do any of it. Posting here and signing a card hasn't even scratched the surface.