Progressive Constitutionalist versus Originalist Constitutionalist

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I don’t look at SCOTUS Justices as liberal or conservative but rather Progressive Constitutionalist versus Originalist Constitutionalist.

A Progressive will decide a ruling and then look for wording in the Constitution to support their position. This can be a Liberal or a Conservative.

An Originalist will look for relavant text in the Constitution and then determine a position. This can be a Liberal or a Conservative.

vantexan

Progressives see the Constitution as something to be amended, even discarded, to address today's world. Originalists see the Constitution as finite, able to address any situation, more so as opinions rendered set precedence.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
Progressives see the Constitution as something to be amended, even discarded, to address today's world. Originalists see the Constitution as finite, able to address any situation, more so as opinions rendered set precedence.
There is a legal process by which the constitution can be amended and if this legislative process is followed I have no problem with it whatsoever. The supreme courts job is to rule on existing law, not create new law, that is congress' job. The constitution has been around for 231 years and it has 27 amendments.

The only way progressives can seem to get their ideas through is to find and appoint judges that agree with them politically. They will say the constitution is a "living, breathing" document, which means they can interpret it any way that fits their needs and feelings at that time instead of what was actually intended when the document was written. This way they can get around the process of trying push laws through that they know won't pass, they can instead appoint someone that will legislate from the bench.

Originalists see the constitution as it was written. It means what it says and doesn't have some hidden meaning to suit your needs at the time. If times have changed that much and something needs to be amended then you go through the amendment process and make it law but you don't let a small group change laws through the judiciary for the masses just because that's the direction they want the country going in the future.

You should not agree with every decision a judge makes even if you view him as on "your side of the isle", if you do then the judge is probably not very good at his job.

El Correcto

god is dead
I don’t get how you can call a progressive a constitutionalist. They think the constitution is an outdated document and think they know better than the genius’s who founded this country who were way ahead of their time and our time sadly.

It will be fine

It funny how you conservatives believe the republican spin that republican judges don’t legislate from the bench. Corporations are people. Money is speech. These aren’t originalist, they are interpretations of law. Every judge interprets the law, pretending otherwise is just silly.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I don’t look at SCOTUS Justices as liberal or conservative but rather Progressive Constitutionalist versus Originalist Constitutionalist.

A Progressive will decide a ruling and then look for wording in the Constitution to support their position. This can be a Liberal or a Conservative.

An Originalist will look for relavant text in the Constitution and then determine a position. This can be a Liberal or a Conservative.
who is behind you

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I don’t get how you can call a progressive a constitutionalist. They think the constitution is an outdated document and think they know better than the genius’s who founded this country who were way ahead of their time and our time sadly.
Nothing personal but you might be the last person I would ask to define what a Progressive thinks.

El Correcto

god is dead
Nothing personal but you might be the last person I would ask to define what a Progressive thinks.
Progressive see the A in Amendment and say there it is! Clear as day, that stands for abortion without limits. Then look at the second amendment and be like ehhhh, it’s little fuzzy with a lot of gray area.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
It funny how you conservatives believe the republican spin that republican judges don’t legislate from the bench. Corporations are people. Money is speech. These aren’t originalist, they are interpretations of law. Every judge interprets the law, pretending otherwise is just silly.
I see you get my gist.
Conservatives can be Progressive Constitutionalists as well.

El Correcto

god is dead
I see you get my gist.
Conservatives can be Progressive Constitutionalists as well.
That’s why most conservative movements call for article 5 to be enacted and to amend the constitution. Instead doing like progressives do and ruling through the bench.

Tell me a couple Progressive constitutionalist rulings from a conservative.

Indecisi0n

8RPU.gif