Progressives sweep Teamsters election − time to organize!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Progressives sweep Teamsters election − time to organize! - Workers World

In a major setback for top-down, corporate-model business unionism, Teamsters United candidate Sean O’Brien defeated Steve Vairma — the chosen successor to Teamsters President James Hoffa Jr. — by a two-to-one margin. The results were announced Nov. 18, with Fred Z, Teamsters United candidate for Secretary-Treasurer, and the entire “OZ” slate sweeping the elections for International officers.

This was the first win since 1996 by a candidate for union president backed by Teamsters for a Democratic Union. After militant, anti-corruption leader Ron Carey won reelection to a second term that year, he went on to lead the successful UPS strike a year later. The strike pushed back attempts by UPS management to expand the lower-paid, part-time workforce.

O’Brien, like the late Carey, is not a TDU member, but TDU supported the OZ slate as part of the broader Teamsters United effort. The president and the rest of the General Executive Board are directly elected by the rank and file.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
most unions are like that,some unions fine you for not attending meetings

On their end as well maybe a contract book and a info packet once you pass probation

I could be as simple as more visits from the business agents during the sorts and passing out contract books or literature to the newbies.
I would be happy if they updated their bulletin boards once a month.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
I could be as simple as more visits from the business agents during the sorts and passing out contract books or literature to the newbies.
I would be happy if they updated their bulletin boards once a month.
our ba is a joke

meritocracy

No complaints about my local. We could have more people at meetings but a lot of people don't show up or can't show up because they are overworked. There's always gonna be people who don't care about the union and don't care to learn about it. The issue right now is that people who do care don't have the income and work life balance needed to properly participate.