Promotion Confusion

Rob Jones

So I'm new to this whole forum and I'm currently in a situation and am not sure how to go about it. So I'm a part-time package handler making about 12 or 12.50 an hour since I've been there for a year and some change, which gives me my dollar pay raise. Now, it was recommended by my FT supervisor that I take the PT supervisor test, however, apparently, come the beginning of August, we're supposed to be making about 14.50 an hour due to a new contract while still maintaining all of the same benefits. the PT supervisors will not be receiving anything probably due to the fact that they are not union and they would only be making a dollar more than us to be doing more work technically after the contract change. I'm strongly leaning towards just staying as a PT sorter until the company decides to do something with the PT supervisors in terms of raising their wage or something to counter what will be changing. Would it be wiser to just become a PT supervisor, or stay as a sorter knowing what the upcoming changes will bring?

So I'm new to this whole forum and I'm currently in a situation and am not sure how to go about it. So I'm a part-time package handler making about 12 or 12.50 an hour since I've been there for a year and some change, which gives me my dollar pay raise. Now, it was recommended by my FT supervisor that I take the PT supervisor test, however, apparently, come the beginning of August, we're supposed to be making about 14.50 an hour due to a new contract while still maintaining all of the same benefits. the PT supervisors will not be receiving anything probably due to the fact that they are not union and they would only be making a dollar more than us to be doing more work technically after the contract change. I'm strongly leaning towards just staying as a PT sorter until the company decides to do something with the PT supervisors in terms of raising their wage or something to counter what will be changing. Would it be wiser to just become a PT supervisor, or stay as a sorter knowing what the upcoming changes will bring?
Stay PT sorter for a while longer and see how everything shakes out with the contract and new FT job opportunities. That PT sup job will always be there waiting for you.

Box Ox

I'm strongly leaning towards just staying as a PT sorter until the company decides to do something with the PT supervisors in terms of raising their wage or something to counter what will be changing.

As bad as the tentative 2018 Union Contract is, I’d hate to see what corporate has planned for its PT sup cannon fodder and other management over the next several years.

As others have said, if you’re staying with UPS, stay hourly. If not, go PT sup and leverage whatever educational benefits you can. Find something better and consider yourself lucky that you got out.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
if you have intentions of being a driver then dont be a part time supervisor

Rob Jones

I'm currently going to school for Logistics and global distribution so I'm hoping to somewhat get something out of working for UPS seeing as how it's one of the world's world's leading package delivery services. I did read somewhere on a review from I think it was glass door that if you are a part time supervisor you're basically stuck there for life.

Rob Jones

I also found it very odd that this is the first job where you are basically punished for being a supervisor as opposed to working part time in terms of benefits and basically everything but pay.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I'm currently going to school for Logistics and global distribution so I'm hoping to somewhat get something out of working for UPS seeing as how it's one of the world's world's leading package delivery services. I did read somewhere on a review from I think it was glass door that if you are a part time supervisor you're basically stuck there for life.
Sorry you must have us confused with fedex.

Box Ox

I’d definitely go PT supervisor in your position. You’d become a known quantity to management outside of your ability to sling a box. And they could give you the thumbs up if you ever wanted to apply for internal corporate listings or you’d be free to be well paid elsewhere.

Rob Jones

Normally what they end up doing is they'll send me down to pull off irregs or send me to the irreg belt. Even though I'm a sorter, they send me to different parts of the Hub to help out pretty often so it's not like people don't know who I am but what I don't understand is why part-time supervisors have the luxury of just getting them all because of the Union. It feels like the only thing I will gain from being a supervisor will be the pay raise and a bit more authority...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Normally what they end up doing is they'll send me down to pull off irregs or send me to the irreg belt. Even though I'm a sorter, they send me to different parts of the Hub to help out pretty often so it's not like people don't know who I am but what I don't understand is why part-time supervisors have the luxury of just getting them all because of the Union. It feels like the only thing I will gain from being a supervisor will be the pay raise and a bit more authority...

Pay raise maybe

A bit more authority Wouldn’t count on it

john chesney

The absolute last place I would end up at ups is in management. I’m stupid but I ain’t that stupid

john chesney

A bit more authority???? I’m starting to see why they want you in management. Probably can sense you’re a narcissistic psychopath or sociopath I’m guessing.