Promotion from driver to FT sup.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
All but one management person that crossed over from driving regrets doing it in our center. Another reason you might not be getting more responses is the directive from upper management not to engage on forums such as Brown Cafe, heard this straight from the horses mouth.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
"Don't look back, you can never look back"
This came on the radio as I was driving my grandson out for dinner and I was singing along.
My grandson was looking at me and I asked him if he had ever heard of Don Henley or The Eagles.
Nope.
Oh well, let's talk about Pokemon then.

Atost36

I am a few months in working at UPS, and just completed driver school, and qualified. I have a bachelors degree, and would like to move up in management... Is there anyway that as a cover driver you can begin the process to become an on road supervisor without being a part-time supervisor first? Any information or advice be very helpful. Thank you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

I am a few months in working at UPS, and just completed driver school, and qualified. I have a bachelors degree, and would like to move up in management... Is there anyway that as a cover driver you can begin the process to become an on road supervisor without being a part-time supervisor first? Any information or advice be very helpful. Thank you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

As upstate has said you need to put a MAPP letter of intent in. Than go through the MAPP process to be considered for a management position since your already a UPS employee. You can go on UPSers.com then go to my life and career then Mapp letter of intent.

That being said there has to be an opening in order to get a ORS position. You also might want to know that they can transfer you to other centers in and around your area and you don't have a choice if you want to keep your job.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Thank you for some solid advise. I have already made the choice now just ready to negotiate. Should I expect to get a 5-10% increase from what I am making not including bonus? Or do you think they try and make the bonus included?

My angle is to try and 10% above the 83k now not including bonus. This will basically me be braking even and making the same money. And the bonus will be my pension if I can save it.

You will not get 10% above 83k. More like between 60-70K and MIP.

I have heard about the pension being taking away but haven't received any knowledgable info from anyone in HR. I believe the cut off was somewhere around 2003-05? But was that time of service with company or you actually had to become a supervisor before then. Because I was hired in 2002 so would I get it or not? Anyone knowledgable about this as well?

You will have a portable 401K, you are vested with the Teamsters and will be able to collect that amount when you turn 60.
You will have to make some tough decisions as a supervisor.
When you are promoted ask to work in a different building, if you truly have the skills, you will learn the new routes in no time and you can concentrate on building your supervisory skills in your new position in a new location.

Thanks again and always enjoy the bicker between those who think they know what's up and those who do!LOL

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Sent using BrownCafe App
No inititive to go into management nowadays. Ask yourself these questions. Are you a shady person, selfish person, an unloyal person, will stab anyone in the back to get ahead, and will you steal and lie? If you answered any one of these questions with a yes answer then you are a perfect candidate as an :censored2: to go into management. I hope this makes your decision easier to sell your soul to the devil. :peaceful:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
No inititive to go into management nowadays. Ask yourself these questions. Are you a shady person, selfish person, an unloyal person, will stab anyone in the back to get ahead, and will you steal and lie? If you answered any one of these questions with a yes answer then you are a perfect candidate as an :censored2: to go into management. I hope this makes your decision easier to sell your soul to the devil. :peaceful:

So jumpman are you any of the above? My bet is you will say no way because I am non-management for life:angel:!

Island

Every single person I have known who went into mgmt regretted it sorely. A couple have been angry at me and held a huge grudge because I didn't try harder to stop them from putting on that polo shirt. One guy was pretty mad at me and he seemed to completely forget how I yelled at him to not go to the dark side. Apparently he is continually offended that I never beat him senseless, tied him to a railroad and threatened to let him get splattered if he wouldn't stay hourly.
After his bosses started writing out paperwork blaming him for all of their decisions, I began just laughing at him at every opportunity.

In my hub, mgmt only hires their friends or people who brownnose. Or beautiful women. There has been a huge running joke that if a beautiful woman gets hired she is planted in an office within a month.

Anyway, to any considering going mgmt, if you honestly believe your bosses won't use and abuse you then go for it. If your center is run by good people then go be one of them, and do your title proud. If you have any doubts, don't do it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
metalbaby.gif
So jumpman are you any of the above? My bet is you will say no way because I am non-management for life:angel:!
Never sell my soul dogg. KOOL MOE JUMP TIL THE DAY I DIE SON.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Driver to FT management? My current center manager did that...because they were an off the street hire who couldn't hack it as a driver...lol. There is incentive for some young dumb kid who's been here a few months to go into management....it's a four dollar a hour raise...that's how they sweet talk them into it. Well...that and the fact that it's a less physically demanding job. (Except for getting on your knees and bending over). Even the off the street PT sup hires have no clue what they're getting themselves into....until it's too late.

Last edited:

Yankfan

I have been in managemment for over 2 decades and cannot recommend it to any driver. MOST drivers make more $$ than I do and I am told that I am very high on the pay band. That means that you will be very low on the pay band and ALL drivers will make more than you. Dragon is right, You won't come close to the $83000 + 10% that you are looking for - I don't make that. The stock bonus is not what it once was - last year UPS had record earnings but a below-average bonus for management. They set unattainable goals to control the amount of MIP that is paid out annually. I currently pay about $300/month for a benefit package that is not as good as the teamster package that you currently have - and that is without my wife on my policy because she is not eligible since she is offered benefits through her employer. This results in us having to meet 2 deductibles every year. Keep that hidden cost in mind as you are evaluating your compensation package. The bottom line is this...Over the last 10 years all incentives to go into management have been "enhanced" to be incentives to stay in the union. I may sound disgruntled but those are the facts.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You Mr. Yankfan I have mad respect for your honesty on the subject. Thank you for your honesty. Not all the management are :censored2:bags after all I guess. :happy-very:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
That does not include Healthcare or pension.
I specifically did not include pension since new management does not get pension and the audience is going to be a new management person.

Total compensation for a center manager aged 45 -55 that's been in management 15 years or more is in the range of $150 - 160k.
I am surprised that the figure you listed isnt the Salary + MIP for a a person of Manager Status with that much Time in Grade.My center manager puts in 14-15 hour days every day and I am shocked when thinking of the hours he works plus the responsibilities of managing Two Centers the Financial Rewards aren't greater. He has had Manager Status for at least 15 years and remembers what it was like to make decisions.