PST on pay stub...where did it go?

For anyone in the 177 or anywhere in NJ. I'm assuming this is paid sick time from the new law that NJ just passed but where did the 4 hours go?
4684163848.jpg

allahuakbar

She/Her
I don’t think it counts toward anything anyway since we have paid sick time. But no one in our building really knows what it actually is. Took them 4 weeks to give us a half ass explanation of what it was.

opie

I'm in NJ. I still have my hours for PST. Basically once you have 8 hours you can use it as a sick day. Or if part time I guess it would be 4 hours.

I'm in NJ. I still have my hours for PST. Basically once you have 8 hours you can use it as a sick day. Or if part time I guess it would be 4 hours.
You can’t just be sick, you have to wait to have hours accumulated?

P

pickup

I read the law and it says that if your employer gives you the same or more amount of time including in the form of vacations and personal days then the law doesn’t apply.

Obviously this is the case with UPS and therefore a NJ UPS employee is not going to get any extra sick leave with this law.

I think this is just third party software that UPS uses to keep the payrolls in sync with the requirements of each state. I think the software needs some tweaking.

If anyone in NJ actually successfully uses this extra sick time , please let us know.

P

pickup

I read the law and it says that if your employer gives you the same or more amount of time including in the form of vacations and personal days then the law doesn’t apply.

Obviously this is the case with UPS and therefore a NJ UPS employee is not going to get any extra sick leave with this law.

I think this is just third party software that UPS uses to keep the payrolls in sync with the requirements of each state. I think the software needs some tweaking.

If anyone in NJ actually successfully uses this extra sick time , please let us know.

A similar law came out in NYC a bit before NJ rolled its version out and it was pretty much the same deal in terms of how it affects employers who are giving out more paid absent days than the law requires.

As far as I know, no one in local 804 who works in NYC is picking up extra sick days.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Not so fast. The time given by the company must exceed or equal 40 hours AND be able to be used for the reasons stated in the law which include attending school meetings or caring for a sick child amongst other things. I’m not sure that UPS allows that. In 676 we get three sick days which equals 24 hours. Personal Holidays must be pre approved so may not meet the stipulations of the law. Not sure how it will play out, but I have 6 hours still showing earned on my check.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Not so fast. The time given by the company must exceed or equal 40 hours AND be able to be used for the reasons stated in the law which include attending school meetings or caring for a sick child amongst other things. I’m not sure that UPS allows that. In 676 we get three sick days which equals 24 hours. Personal Holidays must be pre approved so may not meet the stipulations of the law. Not sure how it will play out, but I have 6 hours still showing earned on my check.

Section three has the stipulations.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | NJ State Wage and Hour Laws and Regulations

P

pickup

I’m in local 177 where we get 6 sick days which can definitely be used for the stated purposes.of the law .

I’m didn’t consider that local 676 in south jersey would have significantly less sick days.

Now correct me if I am wrong but wouldn’t FMLA allow use of some of your other paid days off for the stated purposes of the law?

And if it doesn’t , I would think the company would rather allow you to use your Personal Holidays for the stated purposes than paying more money for this law.

Well like you said we will see how it plays out. I’m waiting for the first guy to call in and say “I’m calling out today and I’m using 8 hours of my PST time”. Then we will find out if this can be done. They’ll have to invent a new code for that one.

P

pickup

I forgot to grab my check stub last week so I don’t know what I got on PST but we got guys working essentially the same hours with very different numbers in that category.

The Range

In too deep
We have a similar law and according to our union, UPS is in compliance with the law despite part-timers maxing out at 20 hours of sick time per our contract, while the law allows you to earn up to 40 if you work the hours necessary. Full-timers would be in compliance with their contractual 40 hours out the gate. Accounting for potential option days doesn't explain it as you should still be able to earn an additional 8 hours of PST annually. Not to mention options can't be used on a whim as the law stipulates. A 3-year-old thread, what became of it?

Last edited:

ManInBrown

For anyone in the 177 or anywhere in NJ. I'm assuming this is paid sick time from the new law that NJ just passed but where did the 4 hours go?
View attachment 229266
I’m in the 177 also and I have no clue how we use that PST. I’ve gotten multiple answers when I’ve asked people. Most say you can’t use it. It’s federal law but since UPS gives us sick days, we aren’t eligible to use that time whatever it is, but by law UPS still has to print it on paystub.