PT pay with minimum hiring rates

cachmeifucan

I just checked UPSers.com and can confirm the same information. I'm at $15 and it shows the GWI based off of that rate. The information has the following caveats...

Assumptions
  • Your current wage rate is higher than the proposed contract rate. You will continue at your current wage rate, plus receive General Wage Increases.
  • If you see an error in your statement or profile, please click the Contact Us link and let us know.
  • Additional compensation resulting from bonus pay has not been considered for the purpose of calculating the impact of the proposed contract on your wages.
It seems like we are in fact going to be getting raises in this contract over the next five years. This is a HUGE win for people in my area. Like you I'm a skeptic and will believe it when I see it, but I can't do much about an outright lie from UPS, which this would be if not true.

I wanted to keep pension and healthcare while getting raises based off of my current rate. I've gotten all three things I wanted. I sometimes TCD drive and still want clearer over 70 language, but this is appearing to be the best PT contract in decades and will likely be a yes vote from me.
Even if you voted yes that is all you will maybe get.but if you vote no a wait and see you will maybe get more.

cachmeifucan

A part time employee about to hit 13 after 5 years in my area. towns in cook county were able to opt out of minimum wage law's for cook county. So the they are barely keeping up with minimum wage ups should be at least 2 dollars over that we need to jump on the fight for 15 for you young part time employees

WTFm8

They need to do $15/hr.

FedEx hub up the road has been advertising $14.50/hr day and $15.50/hr night for months now.

Amazon around the corner starts at $12.25-$12.75/hr and have great benefits after just 90 days... and peak at almost $18/hr after a couple years. They give you 4 shares of stock first year and 3 every year after. First 4 you need to wait 2 years and every 3 after is just 1 year.

Last edited:

km3

Even if you voted yes that is all you will maybe get.but if you vote no a wait and see you will maybe get more.

Grievances for supervisors working has effectively been raised to triple time, so I wouldn't say that's "all" he's getting. If a supervisor works for 1 hour under the new contract, and the sup is a repeat offender (and let's be honest, what supervisor isn't?), that's $63 right there.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Oh swell.

I really look forward to even MORE harassment after I file a grievance on a PT sup doing union work.

You don't get it, do you?
You're just telling people to go paint a massive target on their back.

If you think management doesn't keep a list of the people they think are "trouble makers", and look for any possible reason to get rid of them, you are an idiot.
They hold grudges. They will find a way to screw you. And the union will not protect you.

Just like the drivers, although they at least, have the sense to do it in groups, a lot.
Make the 9.5 pay automatic, not something that you have to go win a virtual court case for.

Same with the supervisors.
Make it an automatic penalty for every union employee on the clock, and we'll talk.
Guarantee we wouldn't have the problem of management doing our work anymore, though...

The union is about facing down management together.
Getting revenge fired after some mistake, or accident isn't very helpful to that.

Grievances for supervisors working has effectively been raised to triple time, so I wouldn't say that's "all" he's getting. If a supervisor works for 1 hour under the new contract, and the sup is a repeat offender (and let's be honest, what supervisor isn't?), that's $63 right there.
All supervisors will be converted to article 22.4 jobs.

km3

I really look forward to even MORE harassment after I file a grievance on a PT sup doing union work.

So grieve them for harassment and retaliation. Remind them that it's illegal to retaliate against union members for exercising their rights as such.

They don't even bat an eye if it's more than 20 minutes anyway. They only try to act tough when it's 1 minute here, 2 minutes there.

You don't get it, do you?
You're just telling people to go paint a massive target on their back.

If you keep filing, they eventually back off and pick someone else. We're in a union, I'm not afraid of having a target on my back.

Blackstream

Presuming you are part time, do you seriously believe that these 22.4 positions will not reduce or eliminate your overtime as a part timer. They have to find inside work to complete their 8 + hour work day

Let's be fair here for a second, UPS will never have a setup that kills OT for anyone. Maybe for a little bit, but as soon as the hub stops getting OT because they're actually getting everything done early without everything crashing, management just can't help but go 'Oh :censored2:, that means we can cut staffing and make our target numbers with like 75% of the workforce.'

Before you know it, every part timer will be getting 6 hours a day again. There's always people that want ROs if nothing else.

Maybe the slow part of the year will be slower when the 22.4s likely come back to the hub at the same time they lay off all the seasonals, but even then I bet all that means is that we just keep even less seasonals after peak and the staffing is the same. Higher quality because they're not new hires, but I bet it still works out about the same.

Blackstream

If you think management doesn't keep a list of the people they think are "trouble makers", and look for any possible reason to get rid of them, you are an idiot.
They hold grudges. They will find a way to screw you. And the union will not protect you.
Either you're making :censored2: up, you're thinking of a specific case or two where the union employee screwed themselves so bad even the union couldn't help (say by never showing up on time), or your local is actually trash.

Here, I can think of at least one person I've watched as management bent over backwards to try and fire and was unsuccessful. Even attendance issues wasn't good enough because they didn't do it for everyone, so she and the union could always use the fact that there were people with more occurences and less disciplines to get her out of trouble.

People don't even seem to get fired here for getting into physical fights 90% of the time.

Also I've watched people grieve the living hell out of sups they had issues with and every time it's resulted in that sup having to back down.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
It doesn't have to be a firing, and that is actually much less likely.

Troublemaking preloaders end up magically getting transferred to heavy trailers.

They'll make it all nice and "following the rules" by training a new person in the area.

Their aim isn't necessarily to terminate you, (very visible to all). They just make your life a living hell.

Just because a sup "backs down", does not mean there isn't a grudge there.

They are in a position of power, and when an opportunity to screw people who irritate them comes up, they'll take it.

Firing is extreme, and unlikely to happen. I rescind that part of the statement, for the most part.

My point still stands, though. Retaliation will happen.

km3

They just make your life a living hell.

They can try, but it's a lot easier to make them miserable than for them to make us miserable. If you cross your ts and dot your is you'll be fine no matter what. Patience is key. I have a lot more than management, guaranteed.

This is something that actually happened to me last year. It really is this easy sometimes.

"Oh, you want to file grievances? Go do bag returns."

"WHY ARE YOU STOPPING THE RETURNS BELT? IT'S BACKED UP 100% TO SMALL SORT!!!"

"My egress was obstructed, I need help."

"No, keep the belt on."

"Sure, as long as it's safe and my egress is clear."

*supervisor or manager starts helping*

"Why are you working? Send a Teamster to help me."

"Shut up and go back to your regular spot."

"With pleasure."

Dritalin

"Additional compensation resulting from bonus pay" please explain?

Presuming you are part time, do you seriously believe that these 22.4 positions will not reduce or eliminate your overtime as a part timer. They have to find inside work to complete their 8 + hour work day.

.70 x 20 hours = 14 dollars a week gross..take home 10 maybe 11 dollars a week..Gas prices going up to 3 or 4 dollars, Rate of Inflation going up 2.5...Sure is tempting to me..Big money for a Union employee, you really have to study the history of how this thing is going.

This contract is not part time friendly.

I said I'd likely vote yes. If my teamster brothers aren't happy about something I'll stand by them, but for me personally I've got what I want out the contract, I'm not going to squeeze UPS beyond that.

Dritalin

Troublemaking preloaders end up magically getting transferred to heavy trailers.

They'll make it all nice and "following the rules" by training a new person in the area.

Their aim isn't necessarily to terminate you, (very visible to all). They just make your life a living hell.

They are in a position of power, and when an opportunity to screw people who irritate them comes up, they'll take it.

Firing is extreme, and unlikely to happen. I rescind that part of the statement, for the most part.

Wrong 100%. We hold all the cards and they can only bluff. Just simply work as directed in a safe way. If the trailer backs up or the trucks aren't getting loaded that's not your fault, tell them you have a seniority preference for another work area and if they don't honor that tell them you'll let it be settled by a grievance. You just have to have a spine and be patient.

Days

If the 4.10 is added onto the 15.00 it's a yes. If not, it's a no.

Working at a minimum of 15.00 for 3 years with no raise just isn't appealing to me

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
If the 4.10 is added onto the 15.00 it's a yes. If not, it's a no.

Working at a minimum of 15.00 for 3 years with no raise just isn't appealing to me
I would disagree but if you are in my region, then it appears your yearly wage increases will be added to the current wage held.
In my case I would then start with a boosted GWI from $15 to $16 on ratification and slide up to $19.40 in 5 years.
Anyone with 2-6 years in (easily %50 of the entire PT workforce) get hosed, they too will earn the same wages described above.

In all honesty the PT economics is good but the contract still largely sidesteps the working conditions of PT workers. Technology provision conveniently no longer protects us either, although I am not sure about the total impact this could have.

If anything else, vote no because everyone else is getting screwed.

km3

Technology provision conveniently no longer protects us either, although I am not sure about the total impact this could have.

That provision specifically mentions GPS and "successor systems," which I would understand to be systems that take the place of GPS should GPS be discontinued, hence the word "successor," as opposed to "similar."

I am not aware of any situation in which GPS has ever been used to discipline a PTer on the inside of the building, nor am I aware of any job, other than car wash or air/cover driving, in which part-timers even use devices that contain GPS.

I think people are making too much of that part. When I was worried about discipline over technology, I always felt that Article 12 of the master was stronger in that regard. And it is unchanged. All it says is you can't be held accountable for things other employees do under your name, but that gives you an out. They have electronic records that you did such and such, but did anyone see you? Can they prove it was YOU?

Ximun8

All supervisors will be converted to article 22.4 jobs.

Coincidentally, today I heard a PT SUP saying that he’d be driving before a 3 year part timer. I said, “not now that they’re doing away with the 6:1 ratio.”

His response was, “its UPS, they’ll find a way.”

Days

Coincidentally, today I heard a PT SUP saying that he’d be driving before a 3 year part timer. I said, “not now that they’re doing away with the 6:1 ratio.”

His response was, “its UPS, they’ll find a way.”

Some PT sups are like the bottom of the totem pole as far as knowledge about anything including the contract goes.

542thruNthru

Send me to the heaviest pull or send me to hell even I don't care. I will work at the same pace and no matter what they say. When I back up and their numbers start suffering they will move me or send me help.

Stop being afraid of management! If you can't stand having a target on your back then you better leave because driving is exactly the same.

They can try, but it's a lot easier to make them miserable than for them to make us miserable. If you cross your ts and dot your is you'll be fine no matter what. Patience is key. I have a lot more than management, guaranteed.

This is something that actually happened to me last year. It really is this easy sometimes.

"Oh, you want to file grievances? Go do bag returns."

"WHY ARE YOU STOPPING THE RETURNS BELT? IT'S BACKED UP 100% TO SMALL SORT!!!"

"My egress was obstructed, I need help."

"No, keep the belt on."

"Sure, as long as it's safe and my egress is clear."

*supervisor or manager starts helping*

"Why are you working? Send a Teamster to help me."

"Shut up and go back to your regular spot."

"With pleasure."

Read this!! It's that old saying. "Don't get mad, get even." Stay calm and do your job safe and it will come to a point where they would rather listen to their boss bitch at them then deal with you.