PT shift transfer

HardknocksUPSer

There is paperwork you have to fill out (at least in my hub) and I had to get my current full timer to sign off on my shift change. He did it pretty easily as I needed it for school reasons. Once you switch, you lose your seniority and start at the bottom (except for pay, vacations, etc). I had almost two years on preload before switching and was below people who had as little as 3 weeks on the job so if your going to transfer do it sooner rather than later.
You just changed my mind all together.

1000RR

You DO NOT lose seniority when you change SORTS. You only lose seniority if you do an educational transfer to another building. If there is an opening on the shift you desire they have to give it to you before giving it to any junior employee or new hire.

blkmamba

You DO NOT lose seniority when you change SORTS. You only lose seniority if you do an educational transfer to another building. If there is an opening on the shift you desire they have to give it to you before giving it to any junior employee or new hire.
He needs to check first. I transferred sorts and lost my sort seniority, not building seniority. I cleared it with my BA first to make sure I was given accurate information.

blkmamba

That is the way my building works. Your seniority would dovetail into your new sort. You do not lose anything.
Wait, do they keep their sort seniority when switching? I was told by the BA that I would lose my sort seniority if I switched.

This is why people shouldn't take advice from this place as truth. Every place seems to be run differently.

PT Car Washer

Wait, do they keep their sort seniority when switching? I was told by the BA that I would lose my sort seniority if I switched.

This is why people shouldn't take advice from this place as truth. Every place seems to be run differently.
You keep your seniority for vacation picks and extra work. You can not bump some one out of their bid job. But whenever an opening comes up you can use your seniority to bid on that job.

Cowboy Mac

I've seen this happen before. You're not guaranteed anything and it usually takes months if anything because management gives you the usual run-around.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
How does this work and what must one do to make this possible? Any certain requirements in order to make the shift transfer? Would like to know for future reference, thanks.
Sign a bid for it. I actually moved shifts without signing a bid so it's possible just have to ask a manager. You aren't suppose to so keep your mouth shut if he lets you change.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Because UPS is always staffed with PTers...

I don't let anything get in the way of a good management bashing!
If you had an idea of how it worked maybe it would be a little clearer. When HR hires people they go way over the top. You ask for 5, they give you 9. So for a while you're overstaffed and then you finally hit a nice number that works. Then you have to figure the staffing on the sort you are currently on. Obviously I'm not going to let one of my sorters switch to preload when I'm understaffed because it's shooting myself in the foot. If you want to switch sorts you essentially need a chronic shortage of employees on one sort, and an abundance of them on another. Switching from local sort to preload in my building is a piece of cake because they can't get anybody to stay. From preload to local sort is a whole different deal.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Or they are fully staffed on the other sort......

But why let facts get in the way of a good management bashing?
That sounds well and good, but unfortunately the contract does not state anything about short-staffing or overages, nor does it care. It says (at least locally) 20% of people in a center, can move to different shifts, per year. There is a grievance procedure for when UPS shuffles their heels on this and I've seen it taken care of. For the very same reasons you explain - because you can't afford to let people go.

Too bad! ;P