PT Sup Question

don’t tell them to hurry up

in fact don’t even bother telling them something unless it can be enforced

I didn't actually say "hurry up." I asked how it was going and told them "let's try to wrap this up."

Who am I kidding that's just semantics. Really I'm just mindful of my tone and volume of my voice

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
1st post here. I'm a peak season hire. I have a degree. In Sept my dad had a bad fall, now needs needs a caregiver full time. This is why I'm preload shift. A couple weeks ago they offered me a PT supervisor job so I took it. Pay bump and benefits is why.

I've read a lot on this site about the pt sup job. "Don't do it." "Stay hourly, become a driver, don't listen to their lies." "You'll hate your life." "smile* rolls downhill." I understand it's not a promotion and being a driver makes more $. Both short term and long term.

Will I regret doing this? I have no interest in being a driver. And with a degree, moving up in management sounds nice. But after reading this site I'm not so sure. And yes I have morals/a soul/believe in the golden rule. I have no intention whatsoever of becoming a jerk who yells at people

You made the right choice. Don't listen to these numskulls. You're making 2.5x what you would on the belt for doing 10% of the work. Besides, if your Dad makes a full recovery or gets into a better situation, and you can't advance any higher within your building, at least you'll have supervisory experience on your resume and that's more transferable a skill than anything else at a regular UPS warehouse. Regards

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I started the week before Mother's Day. That week, as expected, was me trying to figure everything out on the fly. It was clear they pushed me into this role without telling me 95% of the job description. Which IMO is shady as hell. But honestly it was doable.

This last week, Mother's Day week, was nuts. Way too much volume. It's frustrating getting yelled at all the time, and trying to encourage/motivate loaders to hurry up. It's simply too much volume being shoved down our throats and that's the crux of the issue at UPS, IMO. Lazy and/or terrible loaders aren't disciplined which is also a problem I've seen. Today was also crazy.

My problem is I'm an idealist. I think people should always treat others with respect, work hard, be responsible, etc. Which is rare in management thus far. I'm in for a rude awakening I can tell. I don't live under a rock...I just didn't expect such a toxic culture to exist at a solid corporation like UPS. How naive I was and probably still am.

Did I make a mistake becoming a pt sup? Probably. But like someone else said only time will tell. But I'll try to make the best of it and adapt. I know UPS can pay off for people who grind it out, not letting the BS get to them. Easier said than done, but I don't have another alternative other than quitting.

Thanks for the responses!

Make them give you a walkie talkie to clip on your belt

Makes you look like you know what you’re doing