PT Sup Question

Box Ox

I have no intention whatsoever of becoming a jerk who yells at people

You will if daddy center manager orders you to!

I don’t think I’ve ever met a PT Sup that didn’t regret taking it

Me neither. The folks who started at UPS with you who went PT sup look dead inside when they see you go FT driving.

She went to part-time sup, then on-car, then into IE. Now she will be in a center manager position new week.

Why anybody would consider a move from IE to directly harassing drivers every morning to be a good one is beyond me. You’d have to keep a gun held to my head for me to do center manager stuff.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Why anybody would consider a move from IE to directly harassing drivers every morning to be a good one is beyond me. You’d have to keep a gun held to my head for me to do center manager stuff.
yah i’d never take a center job again unless they dangled something far bigger in front of me

Box Ox

You may want to consider reading that post again. Lol.

Is a little....ambiguous, eh?

bjebh5.jpg

old levi's

blank space
Sorry to hear about your father, it’s painful to watch your parents age.
That being said, you’ll need these for your part time supervisor role here at UPS.
615qwZJqkuL._SL1001_.jpg

not everything in life is a freakin' joke

when you've done the time, maybe you will get it

but I doubt it

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you do a good job as part-time sup you can move up to on car and then on to something else if you work hard. Learn all you can and move up. On car is a tough position but leads to other great things. I have a friend that started as a seasonal helper. 8 years ago. She went to part-time sup, then on-car, then into IE. Now she will be in a center manager position new week. She worked very hard and always said yes when anyone asked her for help. Makes a lot more then an 8 year driver.

Just what we need another woman center manager

upschuck

If you do a good job as part-time sup you can move up to on car and then on to something else if you work hard. Learn all you can and move up. On car is a tough position but leads to other great things. I have a friend that started as a seasonal helper. 8 years ago. She went to part-time sup, then on-car, then into IE. Now she will be in a center manager position new week. She worked very hard and always said yes when anyone asked her for help. Makes a lot more then an 8 year driver.

Is she a lesbian? They were the fastest movers. I've known a few that moved that fast, and all of them filled some "quota".

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
1st post here. I'm a peak season hire. I have a degree. In Sept my dad had a bad fall, now needs needs a caregiver full time. This is why I'm preload shift. A couple weeks ago they offered me a PT supervisor job so I took it. Pay bump and benefits is why.

I've read a lot on this site about the pt sup job. "Don't do it." "Stay hourly, become a driver, don't listen to their lies." "You'll hate your life." "smile* rolls downhill." I understand it's not a promotion and being a driver makes more $. Both short term and long term.

Will I regret doing this? I have no interest in being a driver. And with a degree, moving up in management sounds nice. But after reading this site I'm not so sure. And yes I have morals/a soul/believe in the golden rule. I have no intention whatsoever of becoming a jerk who yells at people
If you have no plans on going driving, then you should not. However you will be paying for your benefits in mangement vs being in the union. Also moving up in ups mangement is who you know and who likes you

Shiftless

1st post here. I'm a peak season hire. I have a degree. In Sept my dad had a bad fall, now needs needs a caregiver full time. This is why I'm preload shift. A couple weeks ago they offered me a PT supervisor job so I took it. Pay bump and benefits is why.

I've read a lot on this site about the pt sup job. "Don't do it." "Stay hourly, become a driver, don't listen to their lies." "You'll hate your life." "smile* rolls downhill." I understand it's not a promotion and being a driver makes more $. Both short term and long term.

Will I regret doing this? I have no interest in being a driver. And with a degree, moving up in management sounds nice. But after reading this site I'm not so sure. And yes I have morals/a soul/believe in the golden rule. I have no intention whatsoever of becoming a jerk who yells at people

If you are really truthful about this portion of your post "And yes I have morals/a soul/believe in the golden rule."
being in operations will be a living hell. Don't know what your degree is in? It may have value and it may not help you as much as you think.

Having just talked to friends I have known and worked with recently I found out that one of the guys we helped (put in the good word to hire) on with UPS who started PT then to driving then chose to go into management story. Typical story, actually sounded like you when younger. After going in wished he had never gone in. Sold his soul, lost his wife and family over the crazy demands and hours and unreal stress at times. Saw only a couple years of retirement and died here last month at 62. Don't be that guy!

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Are you that guy that yells at the drivers to close their doors and leave?

If so there’s about 40 drivers who are seconds away from punching you.

I started the week before Mother's Day. That week, as expected, was me trying to figure everything out on the fly. It was clear they pushed me into this role without telling me 95% of the job description. Which IMO is shady as hell. But honestly it was doable.

This last week, Mother's Day week, was nuts. Way too much volume. It's frustrating getting yelled at all the time, and trying to encourage/motivate loaders to hurry up. It's simply too much volume being shoved down our throats and that's the crux of the issue at UPS, IMO. Lazy and/or terrible loaders aren't disciplined which is also a problem I've seen. Today was also crazy.

My problem is I'm an idealist. I think people should always treat others with respect, work hard, be responsible, etc. Which is rare in management thus far. I'm in for a rude awakening I can tell. I don't live under a rock...I just didn't expect such a toxic culture to exist at a solid corporation like UPS. How naive I was and probably still am.

Did I make a mistake becoming a pt sup? Probably. But like someone else said only time will tell. But I'll try to make the best of it and adapt. I know UPS can pay off for people who grind it out, not letting the BS get to them. Easier said than done, but I don't have another alternative other than quitting.

Thanks for the responses!

Having just talked to friends I have known and worked with recently I found out that one of the guys we helped (put in the good word to hire) on with UPS who started PT then to driving then chose to go into management story. Typical story, actually sounded like you when younger. After going in wished he had never gone in. Sold his soul, lost his wife and family over the crazy demands and hours and unreal stress at times. Saw only a couple years of retirement and died here last month at 62. Don't be that guy!

That's a sad story. I wouldn't have believed it before becoming a pt sup, even after seeing management as loader. I'm hoping to find some good people and lean on them for advice. Am I being naive?....it's possible

I'll quit before I ever become that guy.