PT Supervisor threatening to issue write-ups over misloads

Lysandra

When/if this happens, can I grieve it?
How exactly does one file a grievance?
I've never done so.
Also, this sup routinely does work inside the building, whether it be helping to load trucks, helping to pull, or getting into the trailer to unload.
So far I have looked the other way because I wanted to be a team player and just get the job done, but if they are looking to bring down the hammer on me over misloads then is there any way I could get in trouble for starting to file on the sup every time he does work? Or would that be retaliation.

542thruNthru

First.... slow down and stop misloading.

Find your Shop Steward and ask for a grievance form. File a Supervisor working grievance. Article 3 section 7 of the NMA.

Your shop steward should be able to help you with this. Just remember that your sup will be coming after you as well so you better stop misloading packages.

Lysandra

Find your Shop Steward and ask for a grievance form. File a Supervisor working grievance. Article 3 section 7 of the NMA.

Your shop steward should be able to help you with this. Just remember that your sup will be coming after you as well so you better stop misloading packages.

If I slow down then my pull will crash and burn. It's 100 mph to even keep up.
Previously I have lurked here and I know you guys say you can't be fired for going slow and failing your pull every day but it seems like a great way to put a target on your back.

I'd rather not get into a prolonged stressful battle with management but maybe that's been taken out of my hands.

One of the drivers mentioned that a lot of the misloads were actually because of mis-spas. There's no way I can pull 4 cars and have the time to match every single label all morning. I don't know what they are wanting from me at this point because it seems like they are giving me an impossible task and then threatening me when it doesn't work.

Lysandra

When you file on a sup for working, how do they determine whether or not it's legitimate?
Like what is the proof that you would have to give to show that they were actually working?
Couldn't they just deny it?

542thruNthru

Previously I have lurked here and I know you guys say you can't be fired for going slow and failing your pull every day but it seems like a great way to put a target on your back.

I'd rather not get into a prolonged stressful battle with management but maybe that's been taken out of my hands.

One of the drivers mentioned that a lot of the misloads were actually because of mis-spas. There's no way I can pull 4 cars and have the time to match every single label all morning. I don't know what they are wanting from me at this point because it seems like they are giving me an impossible task and then threatening me when it doesn't work.

It's going to be a battle either way. Keep misloading and they keep disciplining you. File a sup working grievance and they will be upset and watching you. Slow down and they will be upset and watching you.

It's your choice. I'm just telling you your options.

Last edited:

Justaloader

Funny thing.....dealing with a similar situation myself. Spoke with the manager of the sups about it yesterday, and asked a simple question. I said - as you know, our "PD" is the craziest in the building (we handle the most volume). At the end of the night, we're all running around throwing irregs into trailers, boxes are being tossed into trailers, etc. We've even been told that when we are super busy, not every package needs scanned, and to just toss them in until we get caught up. I questioned that statement when I was told that as doing so would lead to missloads, and was told "do as you are told".

In light of that, I asked "Say I scan a box at 7:15 pm, and it errors out on the scanner, meaning it's not supposed to go in my trailer. I move it out of the trailer and place it on the dock, or on the floor in front of the dock. No one touches it until about 10:30 that night, when everyone is running around trying to get stuff done. So, in mind of the "don't scan everything, just load it when you are busy" mentality, someone picks the box up, thinks it belongs in my trailer, and tosses it in - not out of malice, but simply because they are trying to help. At the same time, I'm in another door trying to clear the roller line, and I don't catch it. Because I was the last person to scan that box....that's a missload that goes against me, correct? Even though I'm not necessarily the one that "missloaded" it?"

He said, well...yeah I can see how that might happen. Mind you, all the missloads that were brought to my attention yesterday (first time I've been told anything about missloads in my 3, soon to be 4th week there), all happened after 10 pm. I said "So.....how do we know for sure that it's actually me messing up, or if I'm (along with others) merely a victim of a situation that we didn't create?"

He said he'll address the sups about the "not scanning all boxes" instructions we were given.

Add to that - we now have this new policy when it comes to the bags. We have to scan the label on the bag, and then open it to ensure the packages in the bag actually go along with what's on the label....as apparently we've had bags labeled for one state with contents for another state. (No fault of the loader as the loader doesn't make the bags, but it's now the loaders job to "police" the bags before loading them.....all the while trying to maintain a consistent 330 pph or more).

Turdferguson

Just a turd

That's what they do to everyone, and if you are concerned about a target on your back for going slow, just wait until you file some supervisor working ones.
Slow down and work at a safe and efficient pace. If your pull backs up then they need to hire more workers to keep up with it, not have supervisors work

542thruNthru

When you file on a sup for working, how do they determine whether or not it's legitimate?
Like what is the proof that you would have to give to show that they were actually working?
Couldn't they just deny it?

Check the time he starts working. Mention it to a co worker. Then note the time he stops working. Mention it to the same co worker and ask him/her to be a witness.

These are good questions for your shop steward.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
When/if this happens, can I grieve it?
How exactly does one file a grievance?
I've never done so.
Also, this sup routinely does work inside the building, whether it be helping to load trucks, helping to pull, or getting into the trailer to unload.
So far I have looked the other way because I wanted to be a team player and just get the job done, but if they are looking to bring down the hammer on me over misloads then is there any way I could get in trouble for starting to file on the sup every time he does work? Or would that be retaliation.
quit worrying about the supes working it cannot be stopped, if you file a grievance you will be shown the door...you’re too new at UPS to even make these demands.

Jstpeachy

maybe that’s what needs to happen..

I pulled a back muscle trying to keep up with the pull plus the 2 full package cars worth of fly bys a night (I’m at the end of a belt)... it took 2 weeks to heal even 90% so lesson learned. If the belt backs up oh well. They can hire folks or not but I’m not gonna kill myself for a part time gig who’s motto seems to be quit we will just replace you lol

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

Bolded the important part (PPH is not in the contract; Art 37), but wouldn't "coming after him" fall under retaliation?

Jstpeachy

“Because I was the last person to scan that box....that's a missload that goes against me, correct? Even though I'm not necessarily the one that "missloaded" it?"

This is precisely why I don’t scan while stacking out if a stack out becomes necessary. Too much chaos happens and I’m not putting my “name” on a pile of boxes that Joe Schmoe sent to help might misload

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
“Because I was the last person to scan that box....that's a missload that goes against me, correct? Even though I'm not necessarily the one that "missloaded" it?"

This is precisely why I don’t scan while stacking out if a stack out becomes necessary. Too much chaos happens and I’m not putting my “name” on a pile of boxes that Joe Schmoe sent to help might misload
joe schmoe is supposed to have a scanner to