Pters getting 8 hrs a day in hubs; baltimore, burtonsville

Hellobrown2000

Hey what's going on guys. I work at a small center we run two shifts. We just had a supervisor transfer from baltimore hub. He was telling me pt phs if they wanted could work 8 hours a day. He said because they ran 24 hours a day if you wanted to pick up shifts you could work 40 hrs a week inside easy. Is this true? I have been wanting to transfer to a bigger hub anyway because at our center ft driver wait is over nine years. But if it's possible to pretty much full time inside that would be a bonus. Any one at any hubs have any insight they can give me on this? Much appreciated

Jj1213

Need that full time
In jersey they let us work doubles maybe 2-3 days a month until summer. If they need people they will work the good workers but when they don't need you that's it doubles are cut

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
It called double shifting .That way UPS gets away without putting on more Article 22-3 jobs and paying out FT pension bennies etc. It is also selective you have to be a favored employee to get it.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Yeah at my hub 99% of the time the only time you can double shift is if it's snowing and they've got people calling out. Lots of times twilight guys will go find that the roads are :censored2: when they get off and turn around and work another shift.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My first 2.5 years I worked at my HUB I was offered doubles all the time, and took them most of the time. I was a preloaded but would come in for night shift as well and sort the preload as well as start sorting out the irregs. Usually worked 10pm-8:30am with an hour lunch. Was great easy money back then.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Hey what's going on guys. I work at a small center we run two shifts. We just had a supervisor transfer from baltimore hub. He was telling me pt phs if they wanted could work 8 hours a day. He said because they ran 24 hours a day if you wanted to pick up shifts you could work 40 hrs a week inside easy. Is this true? I have been wanting to transfer to a bigger hub anyway because at our center ft driver wait is over nine years. But if it's possible to pretty much full time inside that would be a bonus. Any one at any hubs have any insight they can give me on this? Much appreciated
Take it while you can get it.

PT Car Washer

Take it while you can get it.
I have seen guys double shift for months at a time. Make great money until management goes on a hiring spree and puts an end to it. My buildings Preload have been double shifting PTers for almost everyday now for a while. Not too maney people will work like a dog at 4:45 AM for $8.50/hr for 3 1/2hrs. You will find a lot of employees will for $30 to $45/hr.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I would just work 7 hours and 59 minutes. After 8 your over time you just worked goes away and it goes to regular time, anything then after 8 is over time. I have worked over 10 and had got paid for over time for after 5 however I was the only shifter at work and they offered me anything I wanted to stay. I also got what I wanted surprisingly.

AndUPSER

Where I'm at it's overtime after 5 hours regardless if you double shift. Right now I have close to 24 hours in with 2 days left.

I work at the Baltimore hub and it's true the twilight shift has us pt phs coming in at either 2pm for the early start or 5:45pm for the late start and night shift starts at 10:30 on Mondays and Fridays and 10:45 the rest of the week and preload is always trying to get people to stay and work doubles.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
OT after 5 hours for PT'ers varies by supplement. In my area, it's OT after 5 and it doesn't matter if it's voluntary/involuntary.

Transferring to a new hub because of the potential to work doubles sounds like a terrible idea if you have any seniority at all, as your seniority will be end tailed if you're even allowed a non-educational transfer. Most of the time, this happens in large hubs that simply cannot seem to retain new hires (surprise, surprise: most people don't want to be screamed at and worked like a dog for $8.50/hr) or in smaller centers that can't justify/authorize additional employees on payroll. Either way, the potential for the work to dry up as soon as someone in senior management wants to cut OT costs is always there.

When I was working on '06, I was turning down doubles nearly every day of the week. They dried up when the recession hit (we also had a new district manager that vowed to crack down on OT) during '07-'08 and then started trickling back since '10/'11 or so. Now they're working them almost year-round because retention is such an issue.

AndUPSER

Also, you can not start slacking off on your shift if you decide to double shift. 8-9 hours is not bad, but after 11 hours your body is done.