PVD’s...are we done?

Queso

60 cents a mile does not buy a lot of new tires, brakes, shocks, transmissions and a whole lot of other maintenance items. UPS years ago bought Ford vans and Chrysler mini vans. After a couple years they were junk. We have several Dodge Pro Vans, used as air cars and they are always having problems.

Yeah because you’re using dodge and Chrysler’s. 60 cents a mile goes very far on my 10th gen civic

MattM

I think I saw one still in the wild.

So I'm out of town on vacation and see this pick up truck in a rural area that I'm visiting. The driver is wearing a ups vest. Did PVDs even receive ups branded gear? He took about 6 minutes to rummage through the crew cab of his truck looking for a box

This all can't be efficient.

Rural area. Check
Delivery vehicle that fits 15 Boxes max. Check
Can't find said boxes so he'll leave truck running and look for said package, wasting another 9 minutes of time. Check.

Last edited:

The Driver

I drive.
I would think of everything I could do for money before I'd trash up my personal car to make deliveries of dirty boxes and bags for UPS. Screw tearing up my leather seats, etc. Even if it's an old car.

Mainerider

This is a good job if you have an appropriate vehicle. I have a mid-size 4WD SUV and I’ve fit virtually everything so far that’s been loaded on a Brownie. Back seats down, a couple of old blankets laid down and a clean blue tarp over the blankets and I haven’t had any issues. Sure, I can’t carry as much as a Brownie in one trip but I CAN carry a decent amount AND I can go places a Brownie can’t...

Regarding vehicle wear and tear, not a lot of difference between this and having, say, a 25 mile commute each way to work...

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yeah, the route I left behind in 2019 still has a tp60 parked in the middle of a rural town...

TP-60

My replacement driver still see a white Ford explorer delivering mostly Amazon stuff in the town. We're thinking he's going to service that area until spring

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
This is a good job if you have an appropriate vehicle. I have a mid-size 4WD SUV and I’ve fit virtually everything so far that’s been loaded on a Brownie. Back seats down, a couple of old blankets laid down and a clean blue tarp over the blankets and I haven’t had any issues. Sure, I can’t carry as much as a Brownie in one trip but I CAN carry a decent amount AND I can go places a Brownie can’t...

Regarding vehicle wear and tear, not a lot of difference between this and having, say, a 25 mile commute each way to work...

You can go places Brownie can’t? Are you serious? Who do you think delivers the rest of the year?

Lots more wear and tear on your vehicle than you think. How many times a door opening and closing or a starter cranking your engine? Your kidding yourself if you think your not losing money or barely making minimum wages delivering out of your own car. All it’s going to take is one bad driveway or country road tearing up your car to put you in the red. UPS sure isn’t going to take responsibility for any damage.

After 34 years of delivering for UPS, I’ve gone down roads and driveways I would never take my personal car. Especially not for the pay they are giving you guys.

Mainerider

You’re comparing a 12 month job to a 6 week gig, which is apples to oranges. If you drive like a hammerhead, sure, you can bust up any vehicle in short order. Fortunately, I’m not a hammerhead. And yeah, I can get to spots with virtually no turn around space. I spent 20+ years as an outside rep so I know a thing or 2 about over the road. Cracks me up that everyone thinks only the ones currently doing a particular job are the only ones capable of doing it...

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
DSC_0037(1).JPG
Plus, their p1000/12000 can't go down some narrow dirt driveways & will have to waste time using a dolly and walking it in or just leaving the parcel by the mailbox post at the side of the road/ edge of the driveway

Mainerider

Precisely. And I’m not implying that PVDs can replace a regular Brownie but for a short period of the year, we are helpful and serve a valuable role in getting packages delivered. And we are union members and pay not only regular dues but also a $300 initiation fee...

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Never said you weren’t capable of doing the job...we all started sometime and learned to do the job. I said no way I would use my personal vehicle for any amt of time to deliver packages out of.

There’s a reason UPS uses heavy duty trucks, not just to be able to carry more. When I started, we ran some rural routes out of vans called p200 or p300. Didn’t take UPS long to realize that wasn’t the direction they needed to go. I ran rural areas most of my 34 years. My package cars were continually needing repairs. Not to mention all the scratches down the sides from bushes and branches sticking out.

You want to tear your vehicle up for meager wages, go for it. You can tell everyone except a UPS driver it doesn’t wear on your vehicle. Any driver that has any amount of time behind the wheel knows you are only kidding yourself.

MattM

I would think of everything I could do for money before I'd trash up my personal car to make deliveries of dirty boxes and bags for UPS. Screw tearing up my leather seats, etc. Even if it's an old car.
Some of our feeder plane crew use their own personal million dollar air craft for $2,000 feeder runs. You ever seen a Pilatus pc12 with leather side panels taking Amazon packages 400 miles? Craziness.

I’ve also seen some really nice cars deliver food items.

I can't process how viable any of it is.

Mainerider

Never said you weren’t capable of doing the job...we all started sometime and learned to do the job. I said no way I would use my personal vehicle for any amt of time to deliver packages out of.

There’s a reason UPS uses heavy duty trucks, not just to be able to carry more. When I started, we ran some rural routes out of vans called p200 or p300. Didn’t take UPS long to realize that wasn’t the direction they needed to go. I ran rural areas most of my 34 years. My package cars were continually needing repairs. Not to mention all the scratches down the sides from bushes and branches sticking out.

You want to tear your vehicle up for meager wages, go for it. You can tell everyone except a UPS driver it doesn’t wear on your vehicle. Any driver that has any amount of time behind the wheel knows you are only kidding yourself.

I agree to all you said, especially the “any amt of time” statement. As I said, this is only a 6 week deal, so for the 35-50 miles per day I do the .58 cents per mile reimbursement is more than sufficient to cover wear and tear...

PT Car Washer

I agree to all you said, especially the “any amt of time” statement. As I said, this is only a 6 week deal, so for the 35-50 miles per day I do the .58 cents per mile reimbursement is more than sufficient to cover wear and tear...
Only for the short time you are delivering. 6 months of 50 mile days and your little SUV will be trashed.