PVD’s...are we done?

Queso

You're too smart to work here
You can go places Brownie can’t? Are you serious? Who do you think delivers the rest of the year?

Lots more wear and tear on your vehicle than you think. How many times a door opening and closing or a starter cranking your engine? Your kidding yourself if you think your not losing money or barely making minimum wages delivering out of your own car. All it’s going to take is one bad driveway or country road tearing up your car to put you in the red. UPS sure isn’t going to take responsibility for any damage.

After 34 years of delivering for UPS, I’ve gone down roads and driveways I would never take my personal car. Especially not for the pay they are giving you guys.

So at $21 an hour and .60 cents a mile I’m making minimum wage? Dude if I drive 1000 miles that’s $600 in reimbursement alone there’s no way it costs that much to service a car for every 1000 mile interval unless your driving a Beamer or a Mercedes or some luxury car that you get your :censored2: ripped open by the dealerships. I don’t think I’m going to destroy my car by opening and closing the door

Skull_Leader

Only for the short time you are delivering. 6 months of 50 mile days and your little SUV will be trashed.

You seriously overestimate wear and tear. I've been delivering pizzas out of my personal car for 5+ years doing waaaaaay more miles per day, and paid 20 cent per mile. Besides oil changes, and brakes, I had ZERO problems.

Skull_Leader

You all are just looking for excuses to hate the program. "wearing out the door latch?" Seriously??
Bro, you can get a door handle for $20 (and probably less).

Skull_Leader

We had a pvd last year get aids from pvd-ing. He's dead now

sad-emoji.jpg

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
You can go ahead and try to nullify even opening a door 50 or 60 times a day not hurting your car. A personal car is not built for the kind of punishment you are subjecting it to. If you want to have to take the time and money to replace something like that, more power to you. All it is going to take is messing up the front end or running over something you didn’t see to cost you more money than you are making for the season.

Even getting stuck somewhere and having to call a wrecker to pull you out is going to dip in your wallet. I personally have been stuck many times and had to be pulled out of some of the worst driveways there are. UPS isn’t going to reimburse you. Maybe all of your deliveries are in town on asphalt. Mine weren’t.

The bigger picture is you are using your personal vehicle to do the same work the UPS drivers are with a company vehicle. Let’s don’t even think about the fact that besides making over 35.00 an hour plus overtime, he is getting free insurance, retirement, 401k etc.....

If you guy’s weren’t so ignorant to go and work for less than half what a regular driver makes, UPS would have to hire more people for full time or part time driving positions. They are taking big time advantage of you and your car.

Queso

You can go ahead and try to nullify even opening a door 50 or 60 times a day not hurting your car. A personal car is not built for the kind of punishment you are subjecting it to. If you want to have to take the time and money to replace something like that, more power to you. All it is going to take is messing up the front end or running over something you didn’t see to cost you more money than you are making for the season.

Even getting stuck somewhere and having to call a wrecker to pull you out is going to dip in your wallet. I personally have been stuck many times and had to be pulled out of some of the worst driveways there are. UPS isn’t going to reimburse you. Maybe all of your deliveries are in town on asphalt. Mine weren’t.

The bigger picture is you are using your personal vehicle to do the same work the UPS drivers are with a company vehicle. Let’s don’t even think about the fact that besides making over 35.00 an hour plus overtime, he is getting free insurance, retirement, 401k etc.....

If you guy’s weren’t so ignorant to go and work for less than half what a regular driver makes, UPS would have to hire more people for full time or part time driving positions. They are taking big time advantage of you and your car.

I got quite a bit of overtime this season. I feel like I did quite well as a pvd, yeah I’m not making what the senior brownie drivers are making but I’m also getting to drive my personal vehicle and not having to whip a package car around

clean hairy

I got quite a bit of overtime this season. I feel like I did quite well as a pvd, yeah I’m not making what the senior brownie drivers are making but I’m also getting to drive my personal vehicle and not having to whip a package car around
Your insurance i would guess has doubled (if not more)
For commercial use?

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Just curious if UPS discussed with any of you what you should do if you were to get injured on the job? Maybe a dog bite or a fall, or broken leg? Are you covered by UPS insurance or are you on your own?

Or if a customer claimed you damaged their property, ran over a sprinkler head or hit their dog? Is that on you or will UPS take care of any claims?

Queso

Your insurance i would guess has doubled (if not more)
For commercial use?

I already had commercial insurance because I would do Lyft twice a week. It’s $150 a month but I drive a brand new car with a book value of 27k and I’m also 21 years old so I don’t think it’s bad for commercial insurance considering those factors

Queso

Just curious if UPS discussed with any of you what you should do if you were to get injured on the job? Maybe a dog bite or a fall, or broken leg? Are you covered by UPS insurance or are you on your own?

Or if a customer claimed you damaged their property, ran over a sprinkler head or hit their dog? Is that on you or will UPS take care of any claims?

Not sure about that but I did stub my pinky toe while I was on the job so I should probably ask for workers comp

PT Car Washer

We had a girl last year try to drive down a level B road (mud) was stuck for several hours and did over $2k damage to her Chevy Equinox. Tore off the front and back bumper covers. I don't think she made any money being a PVD driver.

Queso

We had a girl last year try to drive down a level B road (mud) was stuck for several hours and did over $2k damage to her Chevy Equinox. Tore off the front and back bumper covers. I don't think she made any money being a PVD driver.

I wouldn’t take my car down a road like that

Faceplanted

You guys are so seething over these pvds. They are no different than seasonal package car driver. Bunch of leftists thinking they know what’s better for other people on here.

can’t wait to hear the crying when ups starts using pvds year round. It’s coming sooner than you think. We’re still using pvds at my center.

Faceplanted

Seething. Pvds make the same exact $21 an hour that season package car drivers make. Nobody complains about season package car driver pay on here.

if they get hurt in the job they are ups employees. Same process as anybody else who would be on the clock. Why is this so hard for you guys to comprehend. If they have an incident in their vehicle which is insured by them, they claim it on their insurance, same as any pizza delivery person ect.

they are season drivers that use their own cars instead of a brown ups truck. It’s not rocket science.

Last edited:

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You guys are so seething over these pvds. They are no different than seasonal package car driver. Bunch of leftists thinking they know what’s better for other people on here.

can’t wait to hear the crying when ups starts using pvds year round. It’s coming sooner than you think. We’re still using pvds at my center.
Yes . but they can only do 20% of the work a package car driver could do. Why are we not hiring more package drivers
Because most of the country is right to work and these scabs are not contributing to our health and welfare

rod

Retired 22 years
I really wanted to hate PVD's, taking away my precious overtime, but our center pulled off this brilliant political move of hiring former retired drivers that some of us knew to be PVD's. I wanted to call them scabs but at the same time I had some respect for some of the older former drivers. I still managed to do 68+ hours/week so I guess no harm done this peak to my bottom line.

Anyways, volume will probably get a lot lighter so time for you guys to leave.

Former drivers who go back and work for UPS should have their head examined. There is something seriously wrong with them.

Faceplanted

Yes . but they can only do 20% of the work a package car driver could do. Why are we not hiring more package drivers
Because most of the country is right to work and these scabs are not contributing to our health and welfare
Think slowly for a second..... if these same guys got jobs as seasonal package drivers and drove the brown trucks or a Penske van....would they would be scabs too? According to your logic they would.

Lots of areas, I know mine for a fact don’t even have enough package cars or rentals. What is your solution when peak volume is 40+% higher than it was a couple years ago in certain booming areas? You want ups to buy 40% more vehicles to use for 6 weeks?

you guys are not understanding the big issue. The big issue is 22.4s which split our pay grades. That opened the door.... what’s to say next contract they don’t create a 22.5 and have them as pvds payed 5 bucks an hour less than 22.4s that work year work doing rural stuff?

If they pay dues and aren’t scabs it’s a good with you?

Last edited: