PVD Advice

2019PVD

Hi everyone!

I stumbled upon this forum when I was waiting to get hired as a PVD and have been lurking for awhile. This is my third week driving as a PVD and I think I’m getting the hang of it. I haven’t heard any complaints from the driver I’m helping, but I’ve seen some of you have had some negative experiences with PVD’s in your area.

That being said I’m looking for general advice on how to make life easier for the driver I’m helping and how to make sure I’m eligible to get hired on for next year.

Thanks in advance everyone, Happy Peak!

542thruNthru

source-29.gif

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
That being said I’m looking for general advice on how to make life easier for the driver I’m helping and how to make sure I’m eligible to get hired on for next year.

Thanks in advance everyone, Happy Peak!

Deliver to the house and not miles away at a mailbox, saves us from follow-ups.

Dress like you are an actual employee and not like some dickbag with gorilla slippers and sweatpants.

Don't steal the receiver's S*t.

Don't kick, punch, throw, or otherwise molest the receiver's S*t.

Don't piss on the customer's door in front of the video camera.

Or you could just quit and give us all our work back and not apply next year.

2019PVD

Deliver to the house and not miles away at a mailbox, saves us from follow-ups.

Dress like you are an actual employee and not like some dickbag with gorilla slippers and sweatpants.

Don't steal the receiver's S*t.

Don't kick, punch, throw, or otherwise molest the receiver's S*t.

Don't piss on the customer's door in front of the video camera.

Or you could just quit and give us all our work back and not apply next year.

Please tell me these aren’t actual things you’ve seen happen...

Observer

A lot of car insurance policies have a disclaimer that your personal vehicles aren't for the use of delivering packages. It doesn't pertain to pizza delivery. I would think if PVD are forced - the person would have to rent a van so the customer
would know it was proper. The use of PVD's is one step closer to getting the union out of the company. I know people are trying to get jobs, but using your personal vehicle to wear out is not good. Do these people at least have a vest with the company name on it?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Do these people at least have a vest with the company name on it?

Yeah, in a rural town I seen them goto a parked tp-60 to run off stops in that town. They have full uniforms or the reflective vest... unmarked personal vehicles.

Y don't UPS just rent a few cargo vans instead for those PVDs?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Yeah, in a rural town I seen them goto a parked tp-60 to run off stops in that town. They have full uniforms or the reflective vest... unmarked personal vehicles.

Im presuming that then the supes would have to train them to DRIVE by ups standards.
If they wreck their own cars...
oh well.
If they wreck (or have an accident with) a leased ups vehicle it goes against the company and the management is held accountable.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I want to know why these scabs aren't held to the same unreasonable production standards (UPS for short) as we are.

I bust my hump moving 20 SPORH and boss man says I'm no good.

Scab PVD moves 11 an hour and he's saving the operation.

What gives?

Do you have to drive back and forth from a POD numerous times during your day?

Whither

Scofflaw
OP, don't sweat the hazing. The real beef over PVDs is with the company (and the union for allowing it): they should've hired you guys as seasonal drivers and had you working out of their vehicles, not your own.

Drive and work safely and be professional -- there's not much else to it.

2019PVD

A lot of car insurance policies have a disclaimer that your personal vehicles aren't for the use of delivering packages. It doesn't pertain to pizza delivery. I would think if PVD are forced - the person would have to rent a van so the customer
would know it was proper. The use of PVD's is one step closer to getting the union out of the company. I know people are trying to get jobs, but using your personal vehicle to wear out is not good. Do these people at least have a vest with the company name on it?
I honestly considered renting a van but I have an old SUV that doesn’t owe me anything so I’m probably coming out ok just taking the mileage.

When I was hired they gave me a proof of insurance card and as far as I understand I’m covering under the company policy from clock in to clock out.

I do have a vest but that’s it. Thankfully I have lots of brown hunting clothes so I wear fleece lined khaki’s, a brown Carhartt with my vest, and a brown beanie. Still get some confused looks when they see me in my personal vehicle, but it’s probably better than jeans and a hoodie.

I want to know why these scabs aren't held to the same unreasonable production standards (UPS for short) as we are.

I bust my hump moving 20 SPORH and boss man says I'm no good.

Scab PVD moves 11 an hour and he's saving the operation.

What gives?

That’s something I was wondering about. I know we only work for a few months but do they hold us to any standard? I usually hover around 20 stops an hour, I cover a very dense area with lots of apartments, but if I have a lot of bulky pieces I might only get 15 stops off before I have to go back and reload.

My supervisor hasn’t said anything, but I’m not sure if that’s a good sign or not.

2019PVD

OP, don't sweat the hazing. The real beef over PVDs is with the company (and the union for allowing it): they should've hired you guys as seasonal drivers and had you working out of their vehicles, not your own.

Drive and work safely and be professional -- there's not much else to it.

Hey thanks! I’ve definitely seen a lot of the hate and that’s what kept me from posting sooner. I didn’t know PVD’s existed until I applied as a helper and the hiring manager asked. I wanted to be a seasonal package car driver but apparently that isn’t an option here anymore.

The PVD terms prohibit them from using a rental truck.

I honestly considered renting a van but I have an old SUV that doesn’t owe me anything so I’m probably coming out ok just taking the mileage.

When I was hired they gave me a proof of insurance card and as far as I understand I’m covering under the company policy from clock in to clock out.

I do have a vest but that’s it. Thankfully I have lots of brown hunting clothes so I wear fleece lined khaki’s, a brown Carhartt with my vest, and a brown beanie. Still get some confused looks when they see me in my personal vehicle, but it’s probably better than jeans and a hoodie.

That’s something I was wondering about. I know we only work for a few months but do they hold us to any standard? I usually hover around 20 stops an hour, I cover a very dense area with lots of apartments, but if I have a lot of bulky pieces I might only get 15 stops off before I have to go back and reload.

My supervisor hasn’t said anything, but I’m not sure if that’s a good sign or not.
That does not sound horrible considering you are delivering out of the back seat of your car. An experienced driver working out of a U Haul couldn't do much better. Package cars are built to be delivered out of.

WIDAVE

The drivers I work with have been good. I help the driver move his packages from trailer to his truck and then I sort my packages in trailer. Yesterday was my busiest so far, 84 stops 190 pkgs ,58 miles. I have an old suburban and made 4 trips from trailer. I have a UPS jacket and shirt to wear. After 3 hours of training a few weeks ago, I have never heard any complaints or comments from anyone at UPS. We get paid regular payroll once a week.

reginald95

So much dumb hate for PVDs. These guys are just here for a month or 2 to help us out during peak. Same with seasonal drivers, and driver helpers. As long as they do the job well and don't represent UPS in a negative light I'm all for it.