PVD drivers

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I was told we have to join the union and pay a $200 fee, it is supposed to come out of our checks.

Total BS that their union is pilfering $$$ from seasonal drivers/ workers, when you're not guarantee work afterwards.

U should've stay at Amazon Flex then

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I get it if they have a guarantee for work FT/PT after peak, then, yeah, take those union dues from the start... but that's the main deterrent for joining a union shop just for a temporary job.

Take the fees once a driver or inside package mover "makes book"

iowa boy

We had a PVD driver this summer hit a dog while delivering, not sure if on public or private property, but the PVD was "relieved of his job" due to this incident.

542thruNthru

So I just found out from my steward that 2 PVDs quit today when they found out they would have to do more then the 50 stops they pick up from the building a day. Last week we had a PVD get rear ended and total his car. He's now using a rental car that his insurance provided him with. I wonder if the rental company knows he's using it to deliver packages lol.

We are now at 3 PVDs.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Most likely the same would happen if a regular driver hits a bus or pedestrian, do they come after them or UPS?
They sue everyone they can and then reduce the targets...as allowed by applicable laws.
I get it if they have a guarantee for work FT/PT after peak, then, yeah, take those union dues from the start... but that's the main deterrent for joining a union shop just for a temporary job.

Take the fees once a driver or inside package mover "makes book"
They have a choice to work at ups or another venue for holiday pay.
No one is forcing them to work here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They sue everyone they can and then reduce the targets...as allowed by their state law.

They have a choice to work at ups or another venue for holiday pay.
No one is forcing them to work here.

So you think that it is fair to gouge seasonal employees, especially those who will only work 30 days or less and will more than likely not be called back after Peak?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
So you think that it is fair to gouge seasonal employees, especially those who will only work 30 days or less and will more than likely not be called back after Peak?
They have a choice. Fair or not fair no one is forcing them to work there.
That is the bottom line.

"30 days or less"? You need to get a grip. The pvds started Nov 1. They will work at least thru Jan 15 and by the looks of the volume increase, the fixed facilities who are maxed out with space and vehicle availability plus adverse weather they will work much more than your alleged "30 days".

Where do you come up with this foolishness? Totally out of touch.

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
And yes, it is fair to charge union dues for time worked under a cba that gives them the right to work at a negotiated wage.

Here, all initiation fees can be refunded if they dont get hired in within 30 days after the designated peak period is over.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They have a choice. Fair or not fair no one is forcing them to work there.
That is the bottom line.

"30 days or less"? You need to get a grip. The pvds started Nov 1. They will work at least thru Jan 15 and by the looks of the volume increase, the fixed facilities who are maxed out with space and vehicle availability plus adverse weather they will work much more than your alleged "30 days".

This will only be my 2nd Peak as a retiree so I have not been away from the game for that long.

My former center did not use PVD's and our Union local had the foresight to realize that the scant revenue that it would have received from the seasonals was not worth all of the hassle to both the Union and Company.

If both the Union and Company were upfront with the applicants in letting them know that they may lose up to $600 or more of their meager seasonal wages for the "privilege" of working a union job with absolutely no assurance of being called back after Peak, the number of applicants would dwindle down to nothing.

The Union is not the end all/be all that many of you may think and it is downright scandalous to take advantage of their most vulnerable employees simply to put a few $$ in to their coffers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And yes, it is fair to charge union dues for time worked under a cba that gives them the right to work at a negotiated wage.

Here, all initiation fees can be refunded if they dont get hired in within 30 days after the designated peak period is over.

If the initiation fees are going to ultimately be refunded why collect them in the first place? Why not wait until when (or if) they are retained after Peak?

I paid my $500 initiation fee and 3 times my hourly each month for union representation. I knew that this was a union position and that only a scab gets something for nothing; however, had I been hired during Peak with no assurances of being retained after Peak I would have told them to pound sand.