PVD drivers

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
This will only be my 2nd Peak as a retiree so I have not been away from the game for that long.

My former center did not use PVD's and our Union local had the foresight to realize that the scant revenue that it would have received from the seasonals was not worth all of the hassle to both the Union and Company.

If both the Union and Company were upfront with the applicants in letting them know that they may lose up to $600 or more of their meager seasonal wages for the "privilege" of working a union job with absolutely no assurance of being called back after Peak, the number of applicants would dwindle down to nothing.

The Union is not the end all/be all that many of you may think and it is downright scandalous to take advantage of their most vulnerable employees simply to put a few $$ in to their coffers.
Uh, your center?
Most buildings have more than 30 routes.
The company was up front with me when I was seasonal help.
It's the company that hires the seasonals not the union in case you've forgotten.
That is where the disconnect lies and the company has lied (or left information out) to people to get bodies on the street and to cover inside vacancies.

Spout your RTW garbage somewhere else.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If the initiation fees are going to ultimately be refunded why collect them in the first place? Why not wait until when (or if) they are retained after Peak?

I paid my $500 initiation fee and 3 times my hourly each month for union representation. I knew that this was a union position and that only a scab gets something for nothing; however, had I been hired during Peak with no assurances of being retained after Peak I would have told them to pound sand.
We dont care. Go pet your cat.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Uh, your center?
Most buildings have more than 30 routes.
The company was up front with me when I was seasonal help.
It's the company that hires the seasonals not the union in case you've forgotten.
That is where the disconnect lies and the company has lied (or left information out) to people to get bodies on the street and to cover inside vacancies.

Spout your RTW garbage somewhere else.

New York is a closed shop state which, in case you don't know, means that you have to join the union within 30 days of being PERMANENTLY hired or you will be terminated.

Yes, the Company hires the seasonals, but it is up to the Union to let the applicants know whether or not they will be expected to pay either an initiation fee, union dues and/or both.

If you are going to be there for more than 30 days you should pay dues.

If you are retained after Peak you should pay an initiation fee.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
New York is a closed shop state which, in case you don't know, means that you have to join the union within 30 days of being PERMANENTLY hired or you will be terminated.

Yes, the Company hires the seasonals, but it is up to the Union to let the applicants know whether or not they will be expected to pay either an initiation fee, union dues and/or both.

If you are going to be there for more than 30 days you should pay dues.

If you are retained after Peak you should pay an initiation fee.
Again, two things in case you missed it...
#1. The company interviews and hires the seasonals without union presence.
#2. No one cares what you think.
You were a union dues paying scab when you were working and now you're a retired know it all.
Yawn.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
@UpstateNYUPSer You have been on here for years bashing the Union and yet you sit in retirement comfortably because of Union negotiated pensions and the drivers wage that afforded you so many nice things, negotiated by the people and organization you so freely have bad mouthed. When will you ever be thankful for what you have gotten?

And since you've always asserted that anyone could do this job for less maybe you should also be thankful that out of the millions of able bodied Americans you were given a chance to prosper at this company...without going through the part time gig to reach a full time job with free benefits and retirement.

Try supporting the people who have supported you all of these years and maybe your option would matter to those who read it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

@UpstateNYUPSer You have been on here for years bashing the Union and yet you sit in retirement comfortably because of Union negotiated pensions and the drivers wage that afforded you so many nice things, negotiated by the people and organization you so freely have bad mouthed. When will you ever be thankful for what you have gotten?

And since you've always asserted that anyone could do this job for less maybe you should also be thankful that out of the millions of able bodied Americans you were given a chance to prosper at this company...without going through the part time gig to reach a full time job with free benefits and retirement.

Try supporting the people who have supported you all of these years and maybe your option would matter to those who read it.

First of all, I have never needed anyone else's support, whether it was while I was at UPS or when I was on active duty in the USAF.

Second, I was hired off the street under the provisions approved by the majority of the members which allowed for 2 insiders to be "promoted" before 1 outsider. That ratio is now 6:1. Had there been enough insiders who wanted to go driving there would have been no need for this provision in the contract.

Third, I earned every cent of my monthly pension. There is no asterisk indicating that I was an outside hire.

Fourth, "you don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em."

Fifth, "millions of able bodied Americans"? Used to be that when UPS announced that they were hiring the line would wrap around the door. Now we have to offer financial incentives to get people just to show up.

Sporhwhore

Sure post....PVDs.... Drones....Helpers....22.4.....
One would think we have job security in the e commerce world we live in but I’m realizing that UPS does everything in their power to give away the work of those of us who built this company. With our volume being what it is these days I got a feeling this peak will be the peak where they do everything in their power to not pay excessive overtime to the “regular “ drivers! Obviously we will have the week after thanksgiving and week before Christmas but by the looks of things in my hub overtime will be a thing of the past!

PT Car Washer

Sure post....PVDs.... Drones....Helpers....22.4.....
One would think we have job security in the e commerce world we live in but I’m realizing that UPS does everything in their power to give away the work of those of us who built this company. With our volume being what it is these days I got a feeling this peak will be the peak where they do everything in their power to not pay excessive overtime to the “regular “ drivers! Obviously we will have the week after thanksgiving and week before Christmas but by the looks of things in my hub overtime will be a thing of the past!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Sporhwhore

I’m not a guy that needs 60 hours a week but let’s face it everybody expects fat overtime checks this time of year and as of right now we have guys going out under 8 on Mondays and Fridays due to the fact of the company giving away our work to anybody they can.... they’d have us drop half a truck load to the fed ex ground driver if it would save them a buck ‍♂️

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would have got to see the company.... for what they really are.

Not this grand illusion, you have made up in your mind.

Trust me, I am fully aware of what this company is capable of. I am also fully aware if you keep your nose clean and simply come in and do your job that it is possible to work for your entire career with minimal confrontation.

PT Car Washer

I’m not a guy that needs 60 hours a week but let’s face it everybody expects fat overtime checks this time of year and as of right now we have guys going out under 8 on Mondays and Fridays due to the fact of the company giving away our work to anybody they can.... they’d have us drop half a truck load to the fed ex ground driver if it would save them a buck ‍♂️
A couple years ago we did have a Peak where drivers were coming in after 8 hour days because of over staffing. The most stress free Peak in memory. Never make that mistake again.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
First of all, I have never needed anyone else's support, whether it was while I was at UPS or when I was on active duty in the USAF.

Second, I was hired off the street under the provisions approved by the majority of the members which allowed for 2 insiders to be "promoted" before 1 outsider. That ratio is now 6:1. Had there been enough insiders who wanted to go driving there would have been no need for this provision in the contract.

Third, I earned every cent of my monthly pension. There is no asterisk indicating that I was an outside hire.

Fourth, "you don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em."

Fifth, "millions of able bodied Americans"? Used to be that when UPS announced that they were hiring the line would wrap around the door. Now we have to offer financial incentives to get people just to show up.
Liar.
For a pt job maybe.
For a ft job that is a lie and you conveniently duck the issue that you're a union basher and your history follows you.

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Trust me, I am fully aware of what this company is capable of. I am also fully aware if you keep your nose clean and simply come in and do your job that it is possible to work for your entire career with minimal confrontation.
And kiss the company's rear end all the while bashing the union...

which....

is the subject you fail to address and rectify.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Please enlighten me as to what working on the inside would have helped me when I started driving or to be a better driver.
You might have been thankful that you skipped what some have to work 10 yrs in a dinky center like yours to be able to even try to qualify for a ft job.