Q1 Cost Initiative - No Surepost, no Sat Ground, no Guarantees

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Please demonstrate how I don't "get it". You probably don't understand the things that I've written, which makes you feel that you aren't very smart. Instead of engaging in an intelligent conversation wherein you might learn something, you choose to take your anger at your own lack of understanding out on me. Does that about sum it up?

You want an SEC investigation.
What is UPS doing that would warrant an investigation?

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
You need to learn to read, you idiot.
He is not demanding an investigation, just curious if there are any SEC regulations regarding the creative accounting that UPS is doing when it shifts Q1 expenses into Q2.

I never said he is demanding an investigation.
Quit making things up as you go along.

The fact that he is even asking if there are any regulations for something that virtually every company does shows exactly how much he doesn't get it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I never said he is demanding an investigation.
Quit making things up as you go along.

The fact that he is even asking if there are any regulations for something that virtually every company does shows exactly how much he doesn't get it.

But management is the enemy and must be treated as such, right? Shouldn't we be doing everything we can to beat the enemy? If UPS uses accrual accounting, then what they are doing is illegal. But you knew that already.
0f2e75094a3e178b0f3b0429b303692a.jpg

bumped

How is this shuffling expenses to be an SEC violation. The fuel in the tanks on UPS property is an asset just like the fuel inside the fuel tank of the package car is an asset. Its just like if a hardware store takes has a bulk box of 10,000 screws, and then takes those same screws and packages them up into 100 count boxes of screws. The same amount of screws are there. UPS is just transferring the labor to fill up those package cars from Q1 to Q2 by cutting labor in Q1. Just like a hardware store would be if the decided not to package up those screws until a couple days later.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How is this shuffling expenses to be an SEC violation. The fuel in the tanks on UPS property is an asset just like the fuel inside the fuel tank of the package car is an asset. Its just like if a hardware store takes has a bulk box of 10,000 screws, and then takes those same screws and packages them up into 100 count boxes of screws. The same amount of screws are there. UPS is just transferring the labor to fill up those package cars from Q1 to Q2 by cutting labor in Q1. Just like a hardware store would be if the decided not to package up those screws until a couple days later.
The not using the fuel already on the property is certainly high level ups dumb.

But a lot of us have fuel cards and fuel on route.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

To me the issue would have been the first time it was done. These decisions would have to be made at a fairly high level. People working at that level are likely to have bonuses paid based off some of these expenses. So, if they shifted expenses to the next quarter to receive a bonus or a higher bonus, to me that would seem like an activity that wasn't above board and needed to be reported to the SEC or BOD.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My boss once said "Why don't you truck drivers drive the trucks and leave the planning to me". Seems applicable here.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think everyone needs to calm down. It was just a harmless curiosity. God forbid an employee and shareholder of a company show some interest in how the company is being managed. Anyone happen to know which accounting method UPS uses, cash or accrual? The only thing I could find online was the fact that they use market to market for their pension.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Back when I got hired we recorded deliveries on paper and accepted cash for COD’s.
Drivers who had drug or gambling problems would “roll” COD’s and pocket the cash and the COD tag until payday, at which time they would turn it in. As long as the money got turned in within a few days of when it get collected the company would usually not be aware of the theft.
This is pretty much what UPS is doing to shareholders now with these stupid number games and shifting costs to the next quarter.