qualified package car driver (pt) being ask to be a drivers helper

is this something that is happening in other locations of the us. where management is taking part time package car drivers that are qualified and in the union and having them be driver helpers at a very reduced pay rate?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
is this something that is happening in other locations of the us. where management is taking part time package car drivers that are qualified and in the union and having them be driver helpers at a very reduced pay rate?
Yes...if it's in your local supplement. But I think you're still paid at your hourly rate.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

They did that here years ago. Cover drivers are pt here. They wanted us to be helpers but we all said no. I don't believe they can force you to be a helper. If they are forcing you then I believe they should have to pay you your driving rate.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It's a supplement issue. Either way, if they ask you to driver help at a reduced rate of pay, kindly tell them that you make more money double shifting and that they can't reduce you're rate of pay by forcing you to go. Here there is a sign up list. If they don't get enough folks from there they go to the streets and bring people in for that.

box_beeyotch

They do that in my center usually around this time of year as in use covers as helpers but we're all paid at our driver rate, so it's nice.

iruhnman630

I dont mind being a helper a few days....'you do the thinking and the driving, I'll just carry the packages.'

EZ money.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
If it's a day where I would otherwise be bumped off of driving anyway I wouldn't mind at all. Beats working the belt.

You've Got Mail

I finished driver training school today and go to my center tomorrow when they call me. I was told before I left the classroom that I'd be a driver's helper, at least for the first day or two...

PT Car Washer

I finished driver training school today and go to my center tomorrow when they call me. I was told before I left the classroom that I'd be a driver's helper, at least for the first day or two...
They may call you a driver helper but use the experience to learn how a driver works in the real world. School is over.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They may call you a driver helper but use the experience to learn how a driver works in the real world. School is over.

They have asked me to do this with several drivers fresh out of school. You are not there to help, although that is part of what you will be doing. You are there to get a feel of the pace of the job.

We went over the DOK, talked about how to set up the pkg car throughout the day and how to take control of the delivery situation (without being rude about it).

Each of the 3 were on the car for 4-5 hours, not nearly enough time to go in to detail but ample time to give an overview of the job and what would be expected of them. It also gave me enough time to assess their strengths and weaknesses and relay those to their on-car, who then spent 3 days with each on road for more thorough training.

box_beeyotch

They have asked me to do this with several drivers fresh out of school. You are not there to help, although that is part of what you will be doing. You are there to get a feel of the pace of the job.

We went over the DOK, talked about how to set up the pkg car throughout the day and how to take control of the delivery situation (without being rude about it).

Each of the 3 were on the car for 4-5 hours, not nearly enough time to go in to detail but ample time to give an overview of the job and what would be expected of them. It also gave me enough time to assess their strengths and weaknesses and relay those to their on-car, who then spent 3 days with each on road for more thorough training.
Three days on the road? I got one.

barnyard

KTM rider
My center has not done it for year, but it is pretty amazing the numbers a 2 driver team can put up. I did it for a week 1 peak. I had a bulkhead key and would frequently get the next stops lined up if I beat the driver back to the car. Plus, there is way less explaining what to do next, a driver pretty much knows the plan.