question about paid over/under time, plus a few other ??

sorefeet

I'm a casual seasonal driver, I drove last peak & was called back to fill in this summer. The route I'm doing now is a regular route that the normal driver bid off of & I was told I would run this route the rest of the summer. The route averages 120-160 stops a day & on the light days I have no problems getting back to the building around 6-7 but anything over 150 & I'm either calling in the center to get an air meet or sweating bullets rushing my last 30 stops so I will make the air door @ 7:30.

On Friday when I looked at my planned day in the computer I was dispatched for 148 stops with the computer estimating my last stop @ 5:17!!

Friday was a disaster, it seemed every business I delivered to had 4 times the volume as normal, I couldn't walk through the package car until past 2. I was missing many of my bulk stops packages causing me to lose even more time looking for packages that were not in the truck.

I was instructed to meet another driver & pick up the misloads on his vehicle that was 2 towns away ( 20 min drive each way ) then I had to deliver those which was in an area I had already finished with.

I have 2 apartment buildings on my route that get between 5-15 packages a day, I need to get buzzed into & DR them to the individual residents doors, I only get credit for 1 stop & the computer estimates it takes 2 min to complete this stop. That is insane, I'm in those building for at least 20 min on the heavier days.

Long story short I didn't get back to the building until 8:15 ( supposedly 3 hours over paid )

I've talked to a receiver on my route who told me that this route has had like 15 different drivers in the 20 years he was worked there & they all moved on to a different route asap.

I'm obviously trying to make a good impression on management but I feel like the time allowances has me set up to fail.( I would never scratch that route )

BrownTexas

Odds are they know the time allowance is bad. Just do the job the way it is designed to do. You will be fine. Every center has a route like this.

porkwagon

Why are you only getting credit for one stop if you are DRing each apartment?
Maybe he's talking about the computer he looks at in the morning counts it as one stop. I have a few apt complexes that all have the same (street) address and dispatch does not adjust accordingly so my stop count is consistently 20ish stops less than actual stops. During peak that number increased significantly.

BrownTexas

Because it is put into EDD as one stop? I dunno, all I know is the computer gives me 2 min allowance for the stop when i look at my planned day.
That plan day grows as you deliver more. If you go get 20 stops from someone it still doesn't expect you to get off at 5:17.

asphaltcowboy

It's just cardboard deliver it a stop at a time and make it home safe. We have a lot of routes with jacked allowances and mgmt knows that as well. I'd just catch your on car and let him know what you told us.

ManInBrown

As a casual you just have to keep plugging away. Don't worry about things you can't control. Worry about these 3 things you can control.

Get done as soon as you can each day

Don't hit anything

And don't get hurt

Those are things you can control.

Man Of Brown

As long as you put the apt number in the board for each stop you will get the allowance.

I've beaten the computer time and was way over allowed. I've been 2 hours later than the computer time and bonused. Don't put too much stock into it. Find a pace that's fast but not over doing it and go with it.

UPSjedi41

You said a lot there. Find another swing driver or previous route driver and find out how they run the route. They should be able to tell you how and when to do the dump stops in order and how the ins and outs of the apartment complexes. If you DR each apartment number separately you will credit for the time. The time listed in the morning is just an estimate. It will change by the number of stops and miles you drive. Make sure you take your lunch. I would kill to have to be back to our building by 7:30 pm. Our cutoff is 9:00 and it sucks.

sorefeet

Scan...apartment number/ suite number...big arrow down. This is how you've always delivered right?

No I just scan big arrow down, FD, stop complete. Am I supposed to be putting suite numbers in manually? Nobody ever told me to do that & nobody has said anything to me since ( I've been on the route a month now )

Also maybe that is why my stop count doesn't go up, if i check deliveries before I do the complex & its at say 70 delivered it will always be at 71 when I'm done with that stop no matter how many apartments I deliver to.

By The Book

No I just scan big arrow down, FD, stop complete. Am I supposed to be putting suite numbers in manually? Nobody ever told me to do that & nobody has said anything to me since ( I've been on the route a month now )

Also maybe that is why my stop count doesn't go up, if i check deliveries before I do the complex & its at say 70 delivered it will always be at 71 when I'm done with that stop no matter how many apartments I deliver to.
Correct, once you scan a pkg barcode it moves the curser to the apartment/suite number field. From here type in the apt number and big arrow down, and watch your stop count delivered go up and your over allowed go down.