Question about the Union contract

SunnyBro

I've been reading through the UPS/Teamsters contract 2018-2023 and I have a few questions. I could totally have this information wrong but it seems to me like there are some things that could be fixed for some acquaintances of mine and myself. I searched the forum with a search engine but also wanted some up to date responses.

Article 22 Section 5 - Wages
1627273353382.png

My first question regarding this contract is that an acquitance of mine that is a part of the Union and has been at the hub for 3 months (PT Package Handler), is oftentimes being sent home after only an hour of work. Is this a violation of the contract as PT employees should be provided a minimum of 3 1/2? I saw some comments here saying they're allowed if you "volunteer" to go home, though, if this person wanted, they could assert their right to have 3 1/2 hours of work and pay?

My second question is about the wages stated for new employees. The wage raise for August 1, 2021 at $15/hr. I was hired into my hub at $15/hr however was told by HR that our pay would soon be docked at the end of the month back to $14.50. When I become a Union member, could I say/point out that the minimum by the contract is $15?

I appreciate any responses and time in reading this.

Trailer monkey

I've been reading through the UPS/Teamsters contract 2018-2023 and I have a few questions. I could totally have this information wrong but it seems to me like there are some things that could be fixed for some acquaintances of mine and myself. I searched the forum with a search engine but also wanted some up to date responses.

Article 22 Section 5 - Wages
View attachment 345886

My first question regarding this contract is that an acquitance of mine that is a part of the Union and has been at the hub for 3 months (PT Package Handler), is oftentimes being sent home after only an hour of work. Is this a violation of the contract as PT employees should be provided a minimum of 3 1/2? I saw some comments here saying they're allowed if you "volunteer" to go home, though, if this person wanted, they could assert their right to have 3 1/2 hours of work and pay?

My second question is about the wages stated for new employees. The wage raise for August 1, 2021 at $15/hr. I was hired into my hub at $15/hr however was told by HR that our pay would soon be docked at the end of the month back to $14.50. When I become a Union member, could I say/point out that the minimum by the contract is $15?

I appreciate any responses and time in reading this.
First question, YES
Second, It will only be an issue if your wage is actually reduced, what they tell you doesn't mean anything

nWo

Kinda :censored2:ty those hired after August 1 2018 are only getting a 50 cent raise. While everyone else is getting $1.23.

EmpireUPS909

Trailer sweep is a cake walk
We started at 15 in April, went up to 18 in June and hearing of a bump to 20 hourly. Del Taco, Jack and the Box and McDonald's are over 15 dollars an hour. Amazon is at 20 an hour. These wages for part timers are a joke

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Kinda *ty those hired after August 1 2018 are only getting a 50 cent raise. While everyone else is getting $1.23.
Sure looks like the union threw new hires under the bus.At least ups came through except for where I am at

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Kinda *ty those hired after August 1 2018 are only getting a 50 cent raise. While everyone else is getting $1.23.

I read somewhere on this site that any COLA increases do not apply for those on any progression schedule, but they will be applied once they hit full scale.

50 cents minus 33 (COLA Inflation rate) = a 17 cent per hour raise...also will probably have another COLA next year (2022) the way inflation is running.

Talks for next contract will probably start once Hoffa leaves office in March 2022..Fully expect that the 2023 Contract will be settled before January 2023, 8 months before expiration, much like the 2008 one.

Neither party wants any mention of a strike vote right now...Especially with the Central States issue being settled..That PBGC bailout money will be issued annually over the next 30 years, both parties will be subject to conditions in order to get those funds (83 Billion)...UPS will still be subject to any possible Central States's pension default if the Feds change their minds...The Teamster's will be also under more regularity Compliance by Washington.

Last edited:

Trailer monkey

I read somewhere on this site that any COLA increases do not apply for those on any progression schedule, but they will be applied once they hit full scale.

50 cents minus 33 (COLA Inflation rate) = a 17 cent per hour raise...also will probably have another COLA next year (2022) the way inflation is running.

Talks for next contract will probably start once Hoffa leaves office in March 2022..Fully expect that the 2023 Contract will be settled before January 2023, 8 months before expiration, much like the 2008 one.

Neither party wants any mention of a strike vote right now...Especially with the Central States issue being settled..That PBGC bailout money will be issued annually over the next 30 years, both parties will be subject to conditions in order to get those funds (83 Billion)...UPS will still be subject to any possible Central States's pension default if the Feds change their minds...The Teamster's will be also under more regularity Compliance by Washington.
And bear in mind that a future congress and president could reverse the law and stop the payments

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
And bear in mind that a future congress and president could reverse the law and stop the payments

Biden’s first year is a given, his liberal policies will kick in next year.. he is riding on winds of economic changes put into place by the previous administration because of the pandemic. He will go the Feinstein way, kicked to the curb when he he no longer useful. Truth is that it was all about getting rid of Trump and never about liking Biden, he was a ways to the means, always regarded as an empty suit or second banana in his years in Washington.

He is declining fast with his mental capacities, will not be long now before he may be impeached on the same articles that Trump was accused of. It will all be decided with the 2022 mid terms, most are expecting the Republicans will be in control of the senate and possibly the congress.

It all depends on the economy and international troubles. Wait and see..

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
1) If they try to send him home and he wants at least 3 1/2, tell the supervisor that he is willing to go but that he requires 3 1/2 hours of pay. They will find something for him to do so they don't pay him for going home. As long as he is by probation, he can request the minimum at any time.
2) Any time worked after August 1st of this year requires minimum pay of $15 per hour and the HR guy can't change that. Most Locals are being told that they are increasing the rate for part timers in order to get people through the door. $17 to $19 seems to be average depending on which part of the country you live. If they are saying that they over paid you, the State law would apply to determine if they could take back money from future earnings. If aloud, there is usually a limit as to how much they can take on a weekly basis.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We started at 15 in April, went up to 18 in June and hearing of a bump to 20 hourly. Del Taco, Jack and the Box and McDonald's are over 15 dollars an hour. Amazon is at 20 an hour. These wages for part timers are a joke
Quit
Adios
Disappear
Vamose
Arriva derch
Bye Bye
So Long