Question about the Union contract

J.D. Hogg

I've been reading through the UPS/Teamsters contract 2018-2023 and I have a few questions. I could totally have this information wrong but it seems to me like there are some things that could be fixed for some acquaintances of mine and myself. I searched the forum with a search engine but also wanted some up to date responses.

Article 22 Section 5 - Wages
View attachment 345886

My first question regarding this contract is that an acquitance of mine that is a part of the Union and has been at the hub for 3 months (PT Package Handler), is oftentimes being sent home after only an hour of work. Is this a violation of the contract as PT employees should be provided a minimum of 3 1/2? I saw some comments here saying they're allowed if you "volunteer" to go home, though, if this person wanted, they could assert their right to have 3 1/2 hours of work and pay?

My second question is about the wages stated for new employees. The wage raise for August 1, 2021 at $15/hr. I was hired into my hub at $15/hr however was told by HR that our pay would soon be docked at the end of the month back to $14.50. When I become a Union member, could I say/point out that the minimum by the contract is $15?

I appreciate any responses and time in reading this.
Be careful what you wish for -- regarding your right to work more hours.
Don't volunteer for anything -- you'll regret it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I read somewhere on this site that any COLA increases do not apply for those on any progression schedule, but they will be applied once they hit full scale.

50 cents minus 33 (COLA Inflation rate) = a 17 cent per hour raise...also will probably have another COLA next year (2022) the way inflation is running.

Talks for next contract will probably start once Hoffa leaves office in March 2022..Fully expect that the 2023 Contract will be settled before January 2023, 8 months before expiration, much like the 2008 one.

Neither party wants any mention of a strike vote right now...Especially with the Central States issue being settled..That PBGC bailout money will be issued annually over the next 30 years, both parties will be subject to conditions in order to get those funds (83 Billion)...UPS will still be subject to any possible Central States's pension default if the Feds change their minds...The Teamster's will be also under more regularity Compliance by Washington.
You aren't saying those part time employees in progression will only be getting a 17 cents per hour raise,....are you???

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You aren't saying those part time employees in progression will only be getting a 17 cents per hour raise,....are you???

Sure they will get that 50 cent raise.. I just subtracted our .33 Cost Of Living Adjustment equals .17 increase in real wages.

Case in study: Houses in my neighborhood are selling like hot cakes, in a rural area that has seen homes that were selling for 150,000 now on the market for 240,000. Watch your property taxes go up and expect increases in the insurance rates to follow. Or just see your Gas rates go up 30 percent and study your grocery bills.

Why would the company start paying more for new hirers instead of following the wage scale listed in our contract... out of the kindest of their hearts.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sure they will get that 50 cent raise.. I just subtracted our .33 Cost Of Living Adjustment equals .17 increase in real wages.

Case in study: Houses in my neighborhood are selling like hot cakes, in a rural area that has seen homes that were selling for 150,000 now on the market for 240,000. Watch your property taxes go up and expect increases in the insurance rates to follow. Or just see your Gas rates go up 30 percent and study your grocery bills.

Why would the company start paying more for new hirers instead of following the wage scale listed in our contract... out of the kindest of their hearts.
In my area the Company instituted an MRA that brought every part time sort employee up to $18/hr, including new hires.

As far as the COLA raise, the only other one I recall was for 17 cents.

Strange days for sure.

boxerdan

Can anyone confirm that Article 22.5 (b) establishes a progression for part-timers? I read it as saying they've done away with the progression which would suggest to me that part timers who reached seniority after august 1 2018 will get the cola.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Actually I rearrange the trucks to their liking for $27
nr0sx.jpg