Question- driver currently trying to qualify

ManInBrown

Don't bother even looking at that computer screen. Those RTB times mean nothing. They put those numbers in for all the nervous nellies that spend 30 minutes before the PCM looking at their day.

Do whatever you have to do to qualify. Sort truck on lunch. Walk across lawns. Do whatever it takes. Then day 31 do the job like the rest of us non runner gunners

If you can't find a package after airs don't panic. Go thru the whole truck if it's a delivery you won't be back near. Use the opportunity to search for the package, and look for misloads. Don't bother sorting. Look for that one package, and look for misloads. If you'll be back by that delivery area later keep it moving.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It doesn't but an excessive PM time will show that your turn in methods need some work.
Such a dog and pony show.....you guys are getting so screwed it's not even funny....feeder brings this up on occasion on how being a package car driver is like being a slave... even my feeder in road sup agrees.....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Being a pkg car driver is nothing like being a slave.
You are a piece of equipment Dave...an industrial athlete...a modern day industrial slave...you can't leave because you make too much money here and have so much riding on sticking it out for retirement... so yes you ARE a slave...

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Take your lunch as early as possible and sort the truck.
That will give you a few hours to get the bulk off and make room.
Snack on stuff the rest of the day.
This.
Get organized as early as possible. Get it all in the order you will be delivering in.

Boxjockey82

Rtb times on that Orion screen are Bs. Just pay attention to your ops from the previous day for you over under times. Orion in the morning has no clue how many packages you're picking up, irregs etc.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
...and what options, other than taking your CDL elsewhere, do you have?

Yes, at my age (56) and with 11 months left, my only choice is to stay.
I'm not dogging you on anything... 30 years in like you have is an accomplishment... but this job has changed to the point of stupidity....to the point where drivers are treated like a machine...I see drivers leaving the building limping, with knee and elbow braces on... Ups is pushing these guys to the point of getting hurt.. they know this job is mentally and physically stressful but they push people further... they KNOW that this job is full of repetitive motions and end range motions but they still push people to the brink...they have whole departments to deny workers claims and injuries... saying it was a pre existing condition, or it was done outside of work...typical lying corporation...never take responsibility for anything...this mentality is going to bite them hard one day...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Rtb times on that Orion screen are Bs. Just pay attention to your ops from the previous day for you over under times. Orion in the morning has no clue how many packages you're picking up, irregs etc.
You don't get any "extra" time for irregs, buckets, 69 lb boxes, 70 lb boxes... you get the idea...it is so flawed...corporations lie, cheat, and steal...they do this everyday to drivers....in the form of "production numbers"...think about it...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
...and what options, other than taking your CDL elsewhere, do you have?

Yes, at my age (56) and with 11 months left, my only choice is to stay.
You could be 2 hours over and there is nothing they could do to you ... especially this late in the game... so unless you fall over of a massive heart attack you have pretty much made it... congratulations...most of the kids starting out now won't be as lucky as you.....

ManInBrown

They need drivers bad. They're making casuals permanent here during the free season. Not even waiting till the new year like they used to.

The jump from 3 to 4 years to full rate really has them hiring anyone and everyone.

Delivery!!!

I'm not dogging you on anything... 30 years in like you have is an accomplishment... but this job has changed to the point of stupidity....to the point where drivers are treated like a machine...I see drivers leaving the building limping, with knee and elbow braces on... Ups is pushing these guys to the point of getting hurt.. they know this job is mentally and physically stressful but they push people further... they KNOW that this job is full of repetitive motions and end range motions but they still push people to the brink...they have whole departments to deny workers claims and injuries... saying it was a pre existing condition, or it was done outside of work...typical lying corporation...never take responsibility for anything...this mentality is going to bite them hard one day...
The problem lies with us being a publicly traded company. A company based on doing manual labor has no business being publicly traded. Pushing its' workers to go faster is about the only way to increase profits/share price. Derail.

Boxjockey82

You don't get any "extra" time for irregs, buckets, 69 lb boxes, 70 lb boxes... you get the idea...it is so flawed...corporations lie, cheat, and steal...they do this everyday to drivers....in the form of "production numbers"...think about it...

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or think that i believe those things give you extra time. Just in case my point is their rtb time is mainly based on delivery. And if you go out and pick up 500 pieces obviously the rtb is going to be later than what orion figured.

10 Pt

The last documentation I was briefed on for AM and PM time showed 9 min AM and 6 min PM allotted. There's no way I can RTB, turn in clerk, air and int'l pkgs to the appropriate area, POST TRIP CORRECTLY, answer the diad precom and Orion info, turn in send again call tags (signing off the book), and be off the clock in 4 minutes. No way.
I can't even get it done in less than 8 min and our building isn't large in physical size. I can't believe them asking a hub pc driver to do it in 6 unless you're punching out when you get out of the truck. Not smart.
And, do your post trip correctly or it may have negative repercussions the next day.