Question- driver currently trying to qualify

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My speculation as to the reason your numbers are worse when you work harder and try to be more efficient is likely because you are cutting too many miles out of your route. I know they want us to do that, but (again, speculation) the allowance algorithm has not been adjusted to encourage driving less. I call it the efficiency penalty, if you cut out too many miles, everything else has to go perfectly in order to hope to scratch. I know a lot of people choose to ignore Orion, but I find that following Orion on my route adds 10 to 20 miles to my day (the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do, go fig.) The days that I follow Orion as close as I can, I don't have to push as hard, and can usually bonus. On similar days where I run the route as effieciently as I can figure, I have to push really hard just to come in around half an hour over, but I get done almost an hour earlier. My advice, once you get the actual delivery methods down as efficiently as you can, make sure to run your route in the maximum justifiable miles. Don't drive around in circles, just don't spend a lot of mental energy trying to cut a quarter mile here and there, your life will suddenly get a lot easier.

Over 70

My speculation as to the reason your numbers are worse when you work harder and try to be more efficient is likely because you are cutting too many miles out of your route. I know they want us to do that, but (again, speculation) the allowance algorithm has not been adjusted to encourage driving less. I call it the efficiency penalty, if you cut out too many miles, everything else has to go perfectly in order to hope to scratch. I know a lot of people choose to ignore Orion, but I find that following Orion on my route adds 10 to 20 miles to my day (the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do, go fig.) The days that I follow Orion as close as I can, I don't have to push as hard, and can usually bonus. On similar days where I run the route as effieciently as I can figure, I have to push really hard just to come in around half an hour over, but I get done almost an hour earlier. My advice, once you get the actual delivery methods down as efficiently as you can, make sure to run your route in the maximum justifiable miles. Don't drive around in circles, just don't spend a lot of mental energy trying to cut a quarter mile here and there, your life will suddenly get a lot easier.

I'm one of the only guys in my center that routinely scratches and coincidently one of the only people that follows Orion. Many guys beat Orion by 10-30 miles. They're city guys though.

I find on my rural route the only time I can really do better is if it has me going back to an area for a pickup I was able to grab with the delivery hours earlier. It's actually pretty good in the wide open country.

My on-off car is smooth and I walk/drive with purpose, but I by no means run and cut safety. I took my full hour and 15 minutes of break yesterday.