Question for drivers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardknocksUPSer

It changes the dynamic because I'm responsible for everything you do as a helper on my route. The job is easier as far as the physical part when using a helper. If used correctly. It becomes a pain if you have to "babysit" one though. Not everyone gets a good helper. They're rare now.

Driving a route with 400 plus packages and averaging 150-170 stops with 20 or so pick ups is a lot more when by yourself. Doing that at the level of safety and service that is expected also adds to it.

As far as 12 hour days, I average 50-55 hours a week because that's how my route ends up. It doesn't bother me because of my work ethic but the cover drivers usually can't do it.

Nobody said anything about sympathy nor is anyone asking for any. Nobody brought up pay either but on that point , we earn every bit. It amazes me how all the PT guys who were helpers or maybe seasonal drivers think it's so easy. Sorry but get out there and put in a 35 year or so career. I know exactly what I signed up for. I don't think you do though in that sense. Being a "helper" is not the same as being a career driver.

The money is good yes. But don't think for a moment that those top rate bid guys don't earn it. We all do. Being PT and working a few hours a day was a cake walk to the level of what you are expected to do and be responsible for at FT. That's why the PT guys aren't going FT like they used to.

We all were young, low seniority guys at one point too. We all had to swing routes blind, bail out drivers, work split shifts, load, unload etc too. Maybe I don't get this 20 somethings generation but you guys act like everything was handed to us and you guys have to do it all so hard. With pass and edd and all the automation they have now, you guys have it way easier starting out in terms of difficulty.

Just remember it was the ones before you that built ups and it's pay/benefits to the level you see. Understand that and you'll have more "respect" then you seem to have by your post.

Something to think about.
Respectable reply. I trust you when you say that it's a hard job. I'm not disputing that. I'm simply stating that MOST (not all) drivers don't have to work that hard. Not in my area atleast. Most routes average 100-120 stops and 10-15 pickups with the occasional city route averaging 140-170 stops. I understand that, that is a lot to deal with by yourself. You may not personally bitch and moan about the amount of work you have to do but it's seems that 9/10 of the drivers I know do and that's what gripes me. It's a wonderful job with great pay and benefits, weekends off and no stress once you punch out. These things alone make it better than the majority of jobs in the US. I won't say that being a driver isn't hard. I'm just saying it's not as big a deal as the majority of guys make it out to be. It's packages. Follow the methods, do your job, go home, Tomorrow's a new day. I don't think you had everything handed to you and that it was easy. I also don't believe that UPS expected as much before the technology.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Respectable reply. I trust you when you say that it's a hard job. I'm not disputing that. I'm simply stating that MOST (not all) drivers don't have to work that hard. Not in my area atleast. Most routes average 100-120 stops and 10-15 pickups with the occasional city route averaging 140-170 stops. I understand that, that is a lot to deal with by yourself. You may not personally bitch and moan about the amount of work you have to do but it's seems that 9/10 of the drivers I know do and that's what gripes me. It's a wonderful job with great pay and benefits, weekends off and no stress once you punch out. These things alone make it better than the majority of jobs in the US. I won't say that being a driver isn't hard. I'm just saying it's not as big a deal as the majority of guys make it out to be. It's packages. Follow the methods, do your job, go home, Tomorrow's a new day. I don't think you had everything handed to you and that it was easy. I also don't believe that UPS expected as much before the technology.

I have a question for you, Hardupsknocker. Now that you are a steward, are you going to attempt to throw drivers under the bus just because you think they complain too much?

Or, are you going to come to the realization that you, as a preloader, are part of a team, and your goal should be to do the best you can so your drivers can work efficiently enough to allow the company to succeed?

HardknocksUPSer

I have a question for you, Hardupsknocker. Now that you are a steward, are you going to attempt to throw drivers under the bus just because you think they complain too much?

Or, are you going to come to the realization that you, as a preloader, are part of a team, and your goal should be to do the best you can so your drivers can work efficiently enough to allow the company to succeed?
We are on BC so I can tell you my real opinion. If we were at UPS I would stand up for you or anyone else for that matter. Trust me I completely understand, UPS makes it hard as hell on ALL of us all the way around but complaining never gets anyone anywhere. As a employee we shouldn't complain about our work because by doing so we pass the buck so to speak which in turn makes it harder for those that don't complain about the work because we have to pick up others slack. But as far as throwing anyone under the bus, I wouldn't and won't. I don't want anyone to lose their job.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Its not fair to say today preloaders job is easier then your preloading days because of automation. Im going to guess and say when you were a preloader everyone ordered from a catalog. There is no way you seen as many packages coming down the belt with catalog orders as they do now with online ordering. So you have it hard as a driver and had it worse then today preloaders? Come on.

Just remember it was the ones before ALL of us that built UPS and its pay/benefits that WE ALL see. And it will be OUR job and the job of everyone after us to continue to build what was started.
When I loaded, we had charts and had to have area knowledge. We had to keep stop counts and add/cuts were done by area knowledge. There was no pass or add cut sheets with tracking numbers passed out to pull by a supervisor.

And we still had full cars. Preloading today absolutely is much easier than before with PASS.

So yeah, come on.

How many different jobs did you do at ups except being a mechanic? If the answer is none, sorry but you don't have the experience to make that judgement. You just have an "idea" of what you see from the mechanics bay, not what you've actually done.

As far as continuing to build it, if these new mindsets of these guys in preload or driving are the norm, we will start to deteriorate what we and others before, built.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We are on BC so I can tell you my real opinion. If we were at UPS I would stand up for you or anyone else for that matter. Trust me I completely understand, UPS makes it hard as hell on ALL of us all the way around but complaining never gets anyone anywhere. As a employee we shouldn't complain about our work because by doing so we pass the buck so to speak which in turn makes it harder for those that don't complain about the work because we have to pick up others slack. But as far as throwing anyone under the bus, I wouldn't and won't. I don't want anyone to lose their job.

It may be tough.

The one thing you have to understand is, the contract is just that, a contract.

Both sides agreed to it. There may be times you have to agree with the company, because one of your brothers/sisters really are in the wrong.

Good luck, you will learn a lot and hopefully mature a lot.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When I loaded, we had charts and had to have area knowledge. We had to keep stop counts and add/cuts were done by area knowledge. There was no pass or add cut sheets with tracking numbers passed out to pull by a supervisor.

And we still had full cars. Preloading today absolutely is much easier than before with PASS.

So yeah, come on.

How many different jobs did you do at ups except being a mechanic? If the answer is none, sorry but you don't have the experience to make that judgement. You just have an "idea" of what you see from the mechanics bay, not what you've actually done.

As far as continuing to build it, if these new mindsets of these guys in preload or driving are the norm, we will start to deteriorate what we and others before, built.

Life for the preload supes was probably easier then. A good preloader knew when to make adjustments and how to make them.

Re-Raise

Silly troll thread.

I do find it funny that drivers tend to overstate the difficulty of their jobs, though, too. It's like a preservation of ego.

Preload is a more physical and hustle job....but if you are only part-time, there's no comparing 4 hours preloading versus 8-10 hours on-road.
Didn't you try to be a driver and give up to go back to a 22.3 job??

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Feeders easy? Oh here we go with another troll. Do you know how fast your day can turn crap when you get grease on your hand. And if we don't hit the gate on time because we're waiting on the dam loaders to finish. Easy I think not.

Who you calling a troll?

3 years PT
17 years package driver
12 years feeders

Carry a bottle of Quick Solve. The shop has it. Takes care of any grease on your hands.

Who cares if you miss your pull time if it is the sorts fault. I don't.

I didn't say there was no stress, but it is the easiest job I have had.

HardknocksUPSer

It may be tough.

The one thing you have to understand is, the contract is just that, a contract.

Both sides agreed to it. There may be times you have to agree with the company, because one of your brothers/sisters really are in the wrong.

Good luck, you will learn a lot and hopefully mature a lot.
Thank you! I read the contract routinely but need to read it more so now that I'm a steward. I agree that some are guilty and I don't want to protect someone who doesn't want to help themselves. Some discipline is uncalled for and those are the guys I want to protect.

DoMorePayLessUPS

Says the guy who started a thread about how he gets yelled at for doing a bad job and it hurts his little feelings and how hard preload is.

You're right. It's not that serious. It's simple.

You're an inbred maroon. It shows.

Isn't it Saturday date night with your sister at the trailer park?

Actually, not once have I been yelled at by a driver. I made a general post that clearly hurt your sensitive little feelings. For that, I don't apologize.. stay mad, p*ssy.

DoMorePayLessUPS

Who you calling a troll?

3 years PT
17 years package driver
12 years feeders

Carry a bottle of Quick Solve. The shop has it. Takes care of any grease on your hands.

Who cares if you miss your pull time if it is the sorts fault. I don't.

I didn't say there was no stress, but it is the easiest job I have had.

Finally, a driver who gets it. Thank you for not trying to make delivering a few hundred packages seem as hard as pulling and loading 1,000 packages onto 3-4 trucks. You win.

PT Car Washer

Thank you! I read the contract routinely but need to read it more so now that I'm a steward. I agree that some are guilty and I don't want to protect someone who doesn't want to help themselves. Some discipline is uncalled for and those are the guys I want to protect.
Just like a defense attorney you also have to represent the guilty also. Sometimes making a deal to accept a suspension instead of a termination. You are not a judge to determine a persons guilt or punishment. Sometimes not an easy thing to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just like a defense attorney you also have to represent the guilty also. Sometimes making a deal to accept a suspension instead of a termination. You are not a judge to determine a persons guilt or punishment. Sometimes not an easy thing to do.

To add to this, you will need to recognize the difference between a valid and a frivolous grievance.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Actually, not once have I been yelled at by a driver. I made a general post that clearly hurt your sensitive little feelings. For that, I don't apologize.. stay mad, p*ssy.
You're so awesome. Please keep throwing those over 70s in the cars by yourself so that you'll get hurt and not be able to work genius.

Ups will be better off without the "winner" you are.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
He was talking about feeder drive, not package car.
Do you actually read the post before commenting on them?
No he doesn't. We are dealing with some 18 year old kid who just got his first real big boy job.

He doesn't posses the skills for understanding and reading comprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.