Question for drivers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indecisi0n

I had to stop reading through the thread as soon as I read this. You just don't get it.

First off, you're simplifying the job. If it were that simple, then you'd be right that it wouldn't be mentally challenging. Now to be fair, under a combination of certain conditions, the job can be as simple as you're describing. Those conditions include but are not limited to: having an intimate knowledge of the area one is driving in, nice weather, having a well organized load, being in a juicy residential tract, the package being easy to carry, etc. Under those conditions, your simplification of the job is accurate, but those conditions are the optimal conditions. Having said that, think about your shift. How often do all the packages come down the slide with the labels up? How often do they come down at a nice steady pace? How often do they all fit perfectly on shelves? How often does the belt not get jammed? How often do you not get backed up? How often are you not being yelled at for bull:censored2:? Me, you, and every other person here that has preloaded knows the answer to that. So why would you assume that it it is different for drivers? That our entire day is seamless and everything goes smoothly according to plan. That we don't have wrenches being thrown in our gears? You're going to start believing in delusions because some :censored2: driver yelled at you? Grow up.

There are A LOT more variables to deal with as a driver than a preloader. Furthermore, most of the variables in your job are internal (relative to UPS), which allows for more control over them. Some of the significant variables drivers face are external and well beyond UPS's control. The combination of an increase in the number and magnitude of those variables are what makes the job challenging: weather, traffic, construction, load quality, pick up volume, bulk stops, commit times, # of NDA, vehicle condition, clerk packages, cods, on demand pick ups, call tags, driver follow ups, dispatch, area knowledge, etc. All of these are different from day to day and have the potential to change within a day. There's a lot of multi-tasking/juggling involved going on in a driver's mind because there's a lot more to the job than moving a box from point A to point B (although that is the essence of it). Think of all the different jobs that take place within a hub during twilight and preload. There's no division of labor within a driver's truck. The driver shift is what connects the preload to twilight. The driver deals with the clerks directly. The driver has to turn in at the end of the day, which goes to the white collar side of UPS. Being a driver, is all encompassing, it condenses a lot of different aspects of the operations until that work gets allocated to specialized departments at UPS. You don't see it, most people don't. Hell most drivers probably didn't until they spent a day in the driver's seat. If you think that driving is easy, it's because the driver makes it look easy.

If a preloader loses his mind, management is right there to asses the situation and throw bodies at his workload to fix it. The situation can easily be contained. The same cannot be said for drivers. Production aside, a driver that is losing his :censored2: while driving can easily get involved in a fatal accident that extends beyond UPS. Finally, that first time that you have 50+ stops at 9 pm in an area you've never been in before and you realize that no one can help you... That :censored2:s with your mind in a way you cannot even imagine.

The grammar here is way to good to be preloader.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Silly troll thread.

I do find it funny that drivers tend to overstate the difficulty of their jobs, though, too. It's like a preservation of ego.

Preload is a more physical and hustle job....but if you are only part-time, there's no comparing 4 hours preloading versus 8-10 hours on-road.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
There's a huge problem until you get that check, huh haha
How many years do you have in with ups? You sound real jealous of all the money that drivers at top rate are making.

Except you forget one important fact. They all put in their time and paid their dues , earning much less for years before that.

You're the guy that I teach my kids not to become. The one that turns 18, gets his first big boy job and expects 6 figures and less than 8 hours every other work day.

Please sterilize yourself because stupidity shouldn't breed.

Geo926

Silly troll thread.

I do find it funny that drivers tend to overstate the difficulty of their jobs, though, too. It's like a preservation of ego.

Preload is a more physical and hustle job....but if you are only part-time, there's no comparison to 4 hours preloading versus 8-10 hours on-road.

Very true. In the end it is what is is......cardboard.

DoMorePayLessUPS

How many years do you have in with ups? You sound real jealous of all the money that drivers at top rate are making.

Except you forget one important fact. They all put in their time and paid their dues , earning much less for years before that.

You're the guy that I teach my kids not to become. The one that turns 18, gets his first big boy job and expects 6 figures and less than 8 hours every other work day.

Please sterilize yourself because stupidity shouldn't breed.

Lol you're just so mad.. How you're acting says a lot more, and worse, about you than me. You're the guy my original post was about, the driver who's just an old, angry a$shole because his job kicks his ass everyday and he can hardly handle it. I hope things get better for you.

Last edited:

HardknocksUPSer

Clearly you've never been a helper or experienced what a driver goes through in a given day.
Physically speaking drivers work no where near as hard, I've helped for 2 years now and yet to see how being a driver is more physical than my average day on preload. Mentally it is more strenuous yes. But because a driver makes 3 times what I do, I see no room for so much bitching. If your not capable of getting it all done ohh well they're going to send help I promise. It's just cardboard.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Lol you're just so mad.. How you're acting says a lot more, and worse, about you than me. You're the guy my original post was about, the driver who's just an old, angry a$shole because his job kicks his ass everyday and he can hardly handle it. I hope things get better for you.
You really are retarded.

First off kid, I'm a 20 plus year driver so I don't get "mad " or "angry". I just make money off stupidity like yours. Keep loading like crap and I don't get mad, I just make OT. I'm sorry that you obvious suck at life that all you can do is earn very little at ups doing a terrible quality of job. Sucks to be you.

Second, this job doesn't "kick my ass ". I know how to play the game at ups very well. Then there's kids like you who by your own admission, can't handle getting yelled at because you do a crap effort at your job. Unlike you, when I retire , I'll be able to physically walk out with no injuries or accidents while watching idiots like you throw over 70s in the car by themselves. That's if you're still employed. You're the type of PT that'll end up fired or quit. I'm in excellent shape because it's called being responsible for your health in life. I'm betting you can't say the same from living in mommys house.

Third, you're confusing my sarcastic nature and my low tolerance for BS like yours for anger. That's adorable. I'm very easy going but if you're an idiot like you seem to be, I have no problem putting your stupidity in place. You make it very easy with the level of comprehensive understanding you don't seem to posses. Both about ups and life. Keep it up. The world needs dumb asses like you.

If I couldn't handle "ups", how did I make it 20 plus years? Hmmmm.

Coming from some dumb, trailer trash that probably only has less than a year in, yeah you don't have any comprehension.

Oh and if in my 40s is old, well then you must be what, 19?

As far as your concern for "things getting better for me", thanks but kid, you're not even close to the level in life that I'm on so I'd worry about how you'll never live on your own or actually have a girlfriend first before being concerned about me. I'm better than good but thanks for the effort.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Physically speaking drivers work no where near as hard, I've helped for 2 years now and yet to see how being a driver is more physical than my average day on preload. Mentally it is more strenuous yes. But because a driver makes 3 times what I do, I see no room for so much bitching. If your not capable of getting it all done ohh well they're going to send help I promise. It's just cardboard.
Not exactly true. Having a helper on the car changed the dynamic of the job. When you're doing a route by yourself, it's different.

And sending help? Yeah that's cute. They might come get your pick volume but they have no problem leaving you out there 12 plus hours a day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
200.gif

DoMorePayLessUPS

You really are retarded.

First off kid, I'm a 20 plus year driver so I don't get "mad " or "angry". I just make money off stupidity like yours. Keep loading like crap and I don't get mad, I just make OT. I'm sorry that you obvious suck at life that all you can do is earn very little at ups doing a terrible quality of job. Sucks to be you.

Second, this job doesn't "kick my ass ". I know how to play the game at ups very well. Then there's kids like you who by your own admission, can't handle getting yelled at because you do a crap effort at your job. Unlike you, when I retire , I'll be able to physically walk out with no injuries or accidents while watching idiots like you throw over 70s in the car by themselves. That's if you're still employed. You're the type of PT that'll end up fired or quit. I'm in excellent shape because it's called being responsible for your health in life. I'm betting you can't say the same from living in mommys house.

Third, you're confusing my sarcastic nature and my low tolerance for BS like yours for anger. That's adorable. I'm very easy going but if you're an idiot like you seem to be, I have no problem putting your stupidity in place. You make it very easy with the level of comprehensive understanding you don't seem to posses. Both about ups and life. Keep it up. The world needs dumb asses like you.

If I couldn't handle "ups", how did I make it 20 plus years? Hmmmm.

Coming from some dumb, trailer trash that probably only has less than a year in, yeah you don't have any comprehension.

Oh and if in my 40s is old, well then you must be what, 19?

As far as your concern for "things getting better for me", thanks but kid, you're not even close to the level in life that I'm on so I'd worry about how you'll never live on your own or actually have a girlfriend first before being concerned about me. I'm better than good but thanks for the effort.

It's just not that serious..

HardknocksUPSer

Not exactly true. Having a helper on the car changed the dynamic of the job. When you're doing a route by yourself, it's different.

And sending help? Yeah that's cute. They might come get your pick volume but they have no problem leaving you out there 12 plus hours a day.
Changed the dynamic of the job in what way? I did everything except actually drive. Found packages and pulled packages from the load (not hard) ran the Diad (not hard) and delivered them (hardest part of the job still not super difficult). Adding a driving onto that and doing it all by yourself at a slower non peak pace isn't fun of course but the money makes it all the easier. In my center young drivers are sent to help others almost everyday. If you do work 12hrs a day, so what? You signed up for it and knew what you were getting into when you signed the bid sheet. I have respect for drivers just as I do all the PT employees. I do not however have sympathy for you or any other driver. This job pays great.

Upsee

That is all nice, but if I am loading trucks and they stick it to me with a tough pull that I can't manage to keep up with. I am not gonna run like crazy just to make the driver happy. That's between the driver and ups, I am just being wise for my own sake.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Changed the dynamic of the job in what way? I did everything except actually drive. Found packages and pulled packages from the load (not hard) ran the Diad (not hard) and delivered them (hardest part of the job still not super difficult). Adding a driving onto that and doing it all by yourself at a slower non peak pace isn't fun of course but the money makes it all the easier. In my center young drivers are sent to help others almost everyday. If you do work 12hrs a day, so what? You signed up for it and knew what you were getting into when you signed the bid sheet. I have respect for drivers just as I do all the PT employees. I do not however have sympathy for you or any other driver. This job pays great.
It changes the dynamic because I'm responsible for everything you do as a helper on my route. The job is easier as far as the physical part when using a helper. If used correctly. It becomes a pain if you have to "babysit" one though. Not everyone gets a good helper. They're rare now.

Driving a route with 400 plus packages and averaging 150-170 stops with 20 or so pick ups is a lot more when by yourself. Doing that at the level of safety and service that is expected also adds to it.

As far as 12 hour days, I average 50-55 hours a week because that's how my route ends up. It doesn't bother me because of my work ethic but the cover drivers usually can't do it.

Nobody said anything about sympathy nor is anyone asking for any. Nobody brought up pay either but on that point , we earn every bit. It amazes me how all the PT guys who were helpers or maybe seasonal drivers think it's so easy. Sorry but get out there and put in a 35 year or so career. I know exactly what I signed up for. I don't think you do though in that sense. Being a "helper" is not the same as being a career driver.

The money is good yes. But don't think for a moment that those top rate bid guys don't earn it. We all do. Being PT and working a few hours a day was a cake walk to the level of what you are expected to do and be responsible for at FT. That's why the PT guys aren't going FT like they used to.

We all were young, low seniority guys at one point too. We all had to swing routes blind, bail out drivers, work split shifts, load, unload etc too. Maybe I don't get this 20 somethings generation but you guys act like everything was handed to us and you guys have to do it all so hard. With pass and edd and all the automation they have now, you guys have it way easier starting out in terms of difficulty.

Just remember it was the ones before you that built ups and it's pay/benefits to the level you see. Understand that and you'll have more "respect" then you seem to have by your post.

Something to think about.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It's just not that serious..
Says the guy who started a thread about how he gets yelled at for doing a bad job and it hurts his little feelings and how hard preload is.

You're right. It's not that serious. It's simple.

You're an inbred maroon. It shows.

Isn't it Saturday date night with your sister at the trailer park?

Gear

Parts on Order
Its not fair to say today preloaders job is easier then your preloading days because of automation. Im going to guess and say when you were a preloader everyone ordered from a catalog. There is no way you seen as many packages coming down the belt with catalog orders as they do now with online ordering. So you have it hard as a driver and had it worse then today preloaders? Come on.

Just remember it was the ones before ALL of us that built UPS and its pay/benefits that WE ALL see. And it will be OUR job and the job of everyone after us to continue to build what was started.

Status
Not open for further replies.