Questions about Fulltime driver bid sheet

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You guys qualified people in December?
As a boss, you seem just dreamy..
Not my decision, but I'll take the compliment.

It's kind of a false narrative on here that you can't qualify during the free period. You absolutely can. A lot of places just choose not to do it. I'm of the opinion that we need all the help we can get in December, may as well use it. Plus January can be a bit of a mess volume wise. Letting people qualify in December means we have a route in there for them everyday.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We can't even find anyone off the street that wants to do it. And forget finding someone dumb enough to become a sup....
We kept 2 seasonals who are qualifying now, but trying to find more in the building just no bites.

And I don't get whats so hard at being a PT Sup in some of these buildings. Dear Lord. I look at these guys on preload with 5 employees. What the hell do you do all day? They're useless. Things may be easier in a small center, but I was expected to know a hell of a lot more than these fools.

oldngray

nowhere special

It's kind of a false narrative on here that you can't qualify during the free period. You absolutely can. A lot of places just choose not to do it. I'm of the opinion that we need all the help we can get in December, may as well use it. Plus January can be a bit of a mess volume wise. Letting people qualify in December means we have a route in there for them everyday.

Nitpicking. You might be able to qualify as far as UPS is concerned but still may not gain seniority until after the free period. Here you can gain seniority during the free period if you start before it begins but that depends on local language.

They won't let new hires qualify during peak but I let them seen regular employees qualify during peak.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The surprising thing was they were insiders with 5+ years of seniority. I couldn't believe they were surprised at what they were getting into.

Both asked if they could go back to preload. Sorry fellas, should have thought of that before you reached seniority.
That's pretty pathetic. Why not let them go back.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Nitpicking. You might be able to qualify as far as UPS is concerned but still may not gain seniority until after the free period. Here you can gain seniority during the free period if you start before it begins but that depends on local language.
That really is nitpicking.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
They won't let new hires qualify during peak but I let them seen regular employees qualify during peak.
The center manager is trying to figure out if the time these off the streets worked during peak works towards their seniority. Common sense would say no, due to the free period, but I'm hearing otherwise from labor

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That's pretty pathetic. Why not let them go back.
I've been told you aren't allowed to go backwards once reaching seniority unless there is some extra circumstance. Like losing your DOT or family issues etc.

I'm sure it happens, but that's what I've been told. The sup for those guy's driver groups is trying to find a solution, but it didn't sound promising.

oldngray

nowhere special
The center manager is trying to figure out if the time these off the streets worked during peak works towards their seniority. Common sense would say no, due to the free period, but I'm hearing otherwise from labor

Again it depends on the local language. Here if you start before the free period it counts. If not it doesn't.

Which is why UPS tries to wait until the free period if possible.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If they were seasonals, absolutely not. Why would the company want to hurry their progression?
We had 3 guys off the street last year that never did a 30 in January. They were running scratch by Christmas and the higher ups said it could all be counted towards their 30.

The company has nothing to lose at that point if they are already running scratch. They've already done a packet, it's just repetitive and a waste of time IMO.

oldngray

nowhere special
We had 3 guys off the street last year that never did a 30 in January. They were running scratch by Christmas and the higher ups said it could all be counted towards their 30.

The company has nothing to lose at that point if they are already running scratch. They've already done a packet, it's just repetitive and a waste of time IMO.

That sounds like a case where the company decided to qualify them. They can do that. They just didn't have to.

It is hard to find good drivers. Maybe they are smart enough to realize that.