Questions about UPS Pilots

kuraikurasu

I have worked for the company almost 8 years. I've worked in operations, drove, and now work in security. I am interested in becoming a pilot. Is there any information I should know about? Are there programs for people interested in this? Who can I talk to about pursuing this avenue? I've asked around my hub and no one seems to know anything. Thank you for your time.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've been told by some pilots that I know is it's VERY difficult to get a pilot's job at UPS.
The amount of flying experience they require is more than most airlines.
You have to become a pilot the way everyone else does. They won't look at you without major league experience.

5xs8w1.jpg

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I went to high school with a guy that became and Air Force pilot. He lost three fighters before he retired from the Air Force.

Then, UPS hired him to fly for them. Go figure.

Returntosender

You need 1000+ hours in a heavy jet, not those trainer Cessna's. A few pilots I talked to are former Air Force. They flew the AWACS and tanker planes. You can go from Cessna to regional commercial, to national commercial then to UPS.

My buddy tried for years, then he just ended up taking a job flying private jets. He says everytime that it was the best decision he made in his life. Just food for thought

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've got two pilots on route, had others that moved. One observation. On TV and the movies, the pilots are always good looking. In real life, not so much...

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Doesn't sound like fun. But once the bug bites you, it's tough to rid of it. It's like herpes, but fun.

OP I'm a Flight Instructor and teach outside of UPS. Getting a UPS gig takes thousands of hours. Like along the lines of 3000 hours of turbine (jet) time. Cargo is the job every pilot wants. Flying into airports generally when there is no traffic and ultimately BOXES DON'T COMPLAIN. To get to that 3000 hours you either have to join the Air Force or Navy or go to flight school.

Flight school will run you about 60k in flight costs alone. All the book stuff is extra. Once you get out of flight school you have several options. The easiest way to get hours is to flight instruct at a big flight school. You can get about 800 hours a year doing it. But you're only going to be making 20-25k doing it. Then you get to hop into the jets after two years or so. Oh but you're going to have to take a 10k or so pay cut. You'll bounce around to towns about the size of your thumb for 5 years or so and then you should have enough hours to be considered when you apply.

It's very difficult up until you finally get that mainline gig. Flight training is intense. There's times where I wasn't sure we were going to make it back to the airport. You can't have a weak stomach either. They throw you in spins, dives, stalls, you name it. And no matter what anybody says it isn't like a roller coaster when you're life depends on you recovering. But the feeling is a hell of a lot better than a roller coaster. Basically what I'm saying is if you want to do it, go for it. But you have to be positive it is what you want to do. I know Ive posted the photo as a joke. But that really is what it is like. If that doesn't sound like something that interests you run. I personally, wouldn't want it any other way.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Then, UPS hired him to fly for them. Go figure.
FedEx is like that. To get into FedEx you need a recommendation from a FedEx pilot. Well the pilots starting out were all ex-military. They all recommended their squadron buddies and today you have FedEx express. The running joke is the Air Force Academy is the FedEx training academy.
In real life, not so much...
All the guys I went to school with were rich nerds. I wish I had the rich part.

Johney

FedEx is like that. To get into FedEx you need a recommendation from a FedEx pilot. Well the pilots starting out were all ex-military. They all recommended their squadron buddies and today you have FedEx express. The running joke is the Air Force Academy is the FedEx training academy.

All the guys I went to school with were rich nerds. I wish I had the rich part.
Weren't all the original FedEx pilots from the Fl

Johney

Well this is screwed up. I tried to save the screen of what security thing was popping up now I have everyone's avatar saved to a file.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
It might be per their contract, but UPS seems to really take care of their pilots. I used to go pickup 2 air trailers every day at the airport Ups used to use here. (they have moved to IAH and built a nice building since.) This place was a dump. It was built in 1917 to train pilots for the military, and was abandoned except for NASA. UPS got a cheap lease on it. I accidently walked through an unmarked door and stumbled into the pilot's lounge. Whoa! it was nice. It was like an oasis in the desert. Leather recliners, flat screen tvs, places to lie down and sleep if you wanted, and air conditioned, in a building that only had AC in managements office. I have lived next door to a commercial pilot for about 15 years, and he has lots of toys, lol. Don't know the exact amount of hours he works, but he is home a LOT. Nice gig if you can swing it.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
What Frigid said.

I have a commercial pilot certificate as well. At one point I had considered trying to fly for UPS or an airline. I had already been here for 4 years and was close to driving. Sadly, I think we have a better quality of life then what you would have if that's possible.

My old instructor quit her job as an accountant to fly for the airlines. After 5-1/2 years she made captain, and is now making what we make. This after she left a 6 figure salary and sinking almost 80k into all her ratings up to ATP. She flies into small airports daily. A day for her is usually six hops into Podunk in the weather all the time.

I have a buddy who is a 1st officer ata private charter jet co. He makes slightly less than we make. But another guy in our club is a captain and he makes over 200k. He is ex military. It depends on where you can get in. He applied here but couldn't get an interview and he has over 3500 hours turbine pic.

Point being, once the bug bites you it's hard to get rid of it. I work here so I can fly for fun. To the people I ment above, flying has became a job, very well paying, but still a job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It might be per their contract, but UPS seems to really take care of their pilots. I used to go pickup 2 air trailers every day at the airport Ups used to use here. (they have moved to IAH and built a nice building since.) This place was a dump. It was built in 1917 to train pilots for the military, and was abandoned except for NASA. UPS got a cheap lease on it. I accidently walked through an unmarked door and stumbled into the pilot's lounge. Whoa! it was nice. It was like an oasis in the desert. Leather recliners, flat screen tvs, places to lie down and sleep if you wanted, and air conditioned, in a building that only had AC in managements office. I have lived next door to a commercial pilot for about 15 years, and he has lots of toys, lol. Don't know the exact amount of hours he works, but he is home a LOT. Nice gig if you can swing it.
Sounds like every fireman lounge I've ever seen.