Questions? and More Questions?

35years

Gravy route
My understanding is: If you were hired for a permanent position and you drive 31 days, you are in.
Not always true...I have seen 10 day extentions, depends on the local.
If you are switched to a route other than your training route, you are in.
Not true here, they can bounce you around.
Come January, however, whether you work or not will be determined day to day based on number of routes and your place on the seniority list. Your seniority should be your hire date once you get through probation.
Seniority date is the day you made seniority here...Not hire date.
The days you don't drive will be considered lay off days. Once you rack up 10 lay off days in a calendar year you can start working inside (preload and/or local sort, or whatever else you have in your hub).
If you can hack that for an indefinite amount of time, then it is worth sticking it out.
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy on an internet forum, telling you how things work where I'm at. To get the answers that apply to your situation make your way down to your local union hall on a lay off day and have a conversation with your rep.

Once again, check with your Steward.

ManInBrown

This is not the place to ask questions like this. Every single local in this country has different rules about hiring. Next time you work, show up 15 minutes early and ask someone to point to the shop steward. Walk over and ask that person all these questions.

My understanding is: If you were hired for a permanent position and you drive 31 days, you are in. If you are switched to a route other than your training route, you are in. Come January, however, whether you work or not will be determined day to day based on number of routes and your place on the seniority list. Your seniority should be your hire date once you get through probation. The days you don't drive will be considered lay off days. Once you rack up 10 lay off days in a calendar year you can start working inside (preload and/or local sort, or whatever else you have in your hub). If you can hack that for an indefinite amount of time, then it is worth sticking it out.
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy on an internet forum, telling you how things work where I'm at. To get the answers that apply to your situation make your way down to your local union hall on a lay off day and have a conversation with your rep.

Spoke to my union rep today... He told me it doesn't matter when you were hired, they can pick and choose who to start and when!! So guys who started driving before me even though they were hired after me will be higher on the seniority scale just because they will get their 30 days in before me, even though none of us were ever told about the 30 day thing.

The position I applied to did not say seasonal, temp, or part time yet all I have work is part time, I was sent home 2 times last week, and today even though the route I just started Monday went out.

I've rode along on 2 different routes, and did 2 different routes by myself..

Faceplanted

Spoke to my union rep today... He told me it doesn't matter when you were hired, they can pick and choose who to start and when!! So guys who started driving before me even though they were hired after me will be higher on the seniority scale just because they will get their 30 days in before me, even though none of us were ever told about the 30 day thing.

The position I applied to did not say seasonal, temp, or part time yet all I have work is part time, I was sent home 2 times last week, and today even though the route I just started Monday went out.

Who told u this? A steward? Your business agent?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Where I'm located, your driving seniority starts when you start the training class to become a driver, but you don't make seniority until you make book. So you have no seniority protection during the 30 days, but once you get past the 30 days your seniority becomes effective and back dates.

35years

Gravy route

Listen to your steward.
UPS has no obligation to let you qualify (get your 30 days in).
You have no rights until you have made your 30 days.
H.R. has told you you will probably be let go in January.

Working 2 or three days a week does not mean you are a part time employee if you are driving 8+ hrs each day. Part timers generally work inside the bldg. Are you working as a delivery driver when you do work? And are you putting in 8+ hrs per shift?

Frankly if they are working others before you, and they have told you you will probably be let go in January, they are likely just using you for peak.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They can't call it a permanent position if they plan to let you go in January. Plus, depending on your work history and state rules you may be entitled to unemployment benefits for your lay off days.

35years

Gravy route
The good news is it is likely going to be too busy for them not to work you from next week till 2 weeks into January.

35years

Gravy route
They can't call it a permanent position if they plan to let you go in January. Plus, depending on your work history and state rules you may be entitled to unemployment benefits for your lay off days.
They do it every year.
UPS has no obligation to keep an employee until they have passed probation.
Impossible to prove they intended to not keep the worker after peak.

HR and management lies.

All you can do is kiss their backside, run like a deer and hope they don't have excess of drivers after peak.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They do it every year.

HR and management lies.

All you can do is kiss their backside, run like a deer and hope they don't have excess of drivers after peak.
Don't know why they would have to lie. Just hire a bunch of peak drivers and have no issues once peak is over. If you hire someone into a permanent position and they make seniority over peak, now you got an extra employee sitting around that you can't get rid of.

35years

Gravy route
Don't know why they would have to lie. Just hire a bunch of peak drivers and have no issues once peak is over. If you hire someone into a permanent position and they make seniority over peak, now you got an extra employee sitting around that you can't get rid of.
And yet you have the OP saying that they lied to him. he says they told him he was a permanent hire and later told him the drivers hired will likely be let go in January.

Last edited:
Listen to your steward.
UPS has no obligation to let you qualify (get your 30 days in).
You have no rights until you have made your 30 days.
H.R. has told you you will probably be let go in January.

Working 2 or three days a week does not mean you are a part time employee if you are driving 8+ hrs each day. Part timers generally work inside the bldg. Are you working as a delivery driver when you do work? And are you putting in 8+ hrs per shift?

Frankly if they are working others before you, and they have told you you will probably be let go in January, they are likely just using you for peak.

I was supposed to start 3 different times twice I was standing in the center and was told we didn't know you were coming go home we will call you!! Then they would call and say your starting I would come down from NY find a place to stay and they would say we didn't know you were coming go home!!

You got guys who were hired in September that have no experience working 5 days a week already got there 30 in, yet I have close to 4 years experience being a package delivery driver yet last week I worked 1 day, 2 the week before, this week I was supposed to work all 5 and then they gave me route to somebody else and said go home!!

This BS where people hired 2 months after me have already got their 30 in yet I have worked a grand total of 20 days in 4 months... HR never told us we were going to be let go, HR never told us it was seasonal, or temp, or part time, they never told us about the 30 day thing, never told us about pay for training or at start, there is a whole list of crap that HR didn't tell us.

According to HR the center manager has plans for me, what they are I have no clue since I'm always being sent home yet new guys are going on the road, then you throw in November and December are free so no gaining any seniority!! Cuz of this BS is why I'm looking for another job, took drug test today for one, took placement test for a government job last Saturday, have interview for permanent position on Tuesday...Yet all I get told by people in the union here and people I know who are union elsewhere is don't quit!! They keep saying don't quit a union job!!

Last edited:
They do it every year.

HR and management lies.

Well you don't hire people in the middle of summer for holiday help!! You hire them like every other company does in October and November...

The posting on ups.com said Fulltime package delivery driver, I even have a screen cap of the positing!! It was changed to temp and seasonal last week! I was talking to HR here in June hired in July. That's it no mention of seasonal, temp, or part time..everybody who was there at the info session asked the same question "This is a straight up fulltime position?" HR replied "YES!!" It wasn't until we got to the center were people saying you might not be kept after holiday..

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
According to HR the center manager has plans for me, what they are I have no clue since I'm always being sent home yet new guys are going on the road, then you throw in November and December are free so no gaining any seniority!! Cuz of this BS is why I'm looking for another job, took drug test today for one, took placement test for a government job last Saturday, have interview for permanent position on Tuesday...Yet all I get told by people in the union here and people I know who are union elsewhere is don't quit!! They keep saying don't quit a union job!!
The only person's opinion you should listen to about which job to take or keep is the one who will be doing the work. I can tell you if I was getting jerked around as much as you seem to be I most likely wouldn't be working at UPS now. If you can get a good government job it'll probably be comparable on compensation, lead to other opportunities, and be easier on your body. A lot of government jobs are union too. It doesn't sound to me like you have a union job right now anyway.