Quit already

It's *ty though, it shouldn't be like that, the turnover rate is massive
Well it's hard to stay properly saft if everybody quits after a couple of days.

Trust me it's always been a very hard job.
But I kept my eye on the prize because I knew I could have a good future if I tiffed it out.

nkm

Optimistically pessimistic
Well it's hard to stay properly saft if everybody quits after a couple of days.

Trust me it's always been a very hard job.
But I kept my eye on the prize because I knew I could have a good future if I tiffed it out.
Well yes, but the company has more than 50% of new hires quitting almost immediately for a reason. I'm glad that you were able to stick it out though and you're gonna retire knowing that you're secure in your retirement and your hard work paid off. Did you make it up to a driver/feeder position?

Well yes, but the company has more than 50% of new hires quitting almost immediately for a reason. I'm glad that you were able to stick it out though and you're gonna retire knowing that you're secure in your retirement and your hard work paid off. Did you make it up to a driver/feeder position?
Yes I did. Doing this job for so many years and dealing with customers I see how many people work hard and make nowhere near what we make here or have the same benefits not even talking about having a pension plan.

Yes this job does suck sometimes but I'm very thankful.

nkm

I've said this to both my kids, there is no perfect job.

Hope everything works out for you in your future endeavors.
Did you recommend for them to go to UPS? :) There were quite a few people over there that work alongside their family members, one of the people I started with had his sister and mother working somewhere on the preload and twilight.

upschuck

Did you recommend for them to go to UPS? :) There were quite a few people over there that work alongside their family members, one of the people I started with had his sister and mother working somewhere on the preload and twilight.
One yes, one no, because he couldn't of handled it.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I don't remember asking for any sympathy old timer, my intention here is to share my experience with others who might come across it. And if you appreciate working for a company that everyone (including many people here) describes as consistently mistreating union employees, being horribly mismanaged on every level, and has a pencil pusher CEO who is worried about the company's stock price vs. actually doing anything to improve the company and its workforce, then the majority of the local unions must not be so great. Your contract is on paper, it's up to you seniors and the Stewards to make sure it is enforced for yourself and also your coworkers -- otherwise people like myself pick up on the laissez attitude and are going to move on to somewhere else. This has been said on this forum before and I noticed it even in the few days at the hub; the benefits and retirement package mean little to newer employees when they have no sense of obtaining those yet and they are being discouraged by fellow seniors (not saying you) for whatever number of reasons, plus are surrounded by such an environment with a bunch of people with little sense of teamwork or collectiveness (you know against the entire point of having a Union).

I'd rather work at a place with less pay if I knew that the seniors and Stewards (or just normal coworkers) were gonna make sure that they supported new employees properly (and ran the place correctly anyways) vs. having non-optimal work conditions and *ty, bad-attitude union coworkers that, sure, work for 30 years for great benefits but do very little to actually improve SOMETHING for the new guys that they are leading in. The company itself is a dinosaur not in terms of infrastructure but in terms of insight. From what I know, UPS was a great place to start out at 20 years ago but it's definitely going downhill when there's an absolute ton of improvement potential both on the hub and executive level.

UPS wonders why there's such a high turnover, it's not for no reason.
Settle down.

This thread was a sympathy plea.

nkm

Settle down.

This thread was a sympathy plea.
It very clearly wasn't a sympathy plea and the fact that you can't refute any of the valid points I made is pretty suggestive of the fact that they are indeed valid.

You're likely a member of the class of coworker that I described in the post you quoted. Your benefits and retirement mean very little if you're going to be selfish about it regarding your other coworkers and the Union; everyone nowadays is all about taking and not putting any work in to get. I'm sure most guys over at UPS cry and bitch when their contracts are violated by management and then file 20 successive grievances, see that the same stuff is happening to everyone else, then give up.

I don't know you and I've read none of your posts, but what have you done to better your work environment not for yourself but your fellow coworkers? Does that amount of work balance out the fact that you're exhibiting the exact behavior I described?

NAHimGOOD

It very clearly wasn't a sympathy plea and the fact that you can't refute any of the valid points I made is pretty suggestive of the fact that they are indeed valid.

You're likely, again, a member of the class of coworker that I described in the post you quoted. Your benefits and retirement mean very little if you're going to be selfish about it regarding your other coworkers and the Union; everyone nowadays is all about taking and not putting any work in to get. I'm sure most guys over at UPS cry and bitch when their contracts are violated by management and then file 20 successive grievances, see that the same stuff is happening to everyone else, then give up.

I don't know you and I've read none of your posts, but what have you done to better your work environment not for yourself but your fellow coworkers? Does that amount of work balance out the fact that you're exhibiting the exact behavior I described?
Yeah...

If you thought I was going to read all that cry baby mumbo jumbo from those posts...

It's understandable why you quit.

Hope this helps

nkm

Yeah...

If you thought I was going to read all that cry baby mumbo jumbo from those posts...

It's understandable why you quit.

Hope this helps
I feel bad for anyone who got stuck with you as a coworker, you must be a miserable person to be around in the hub

NAHimGOOD

I feel bad for anyone who got stuck with you as a coworker, you must be a miserable person to be around in the hub
Awwweeeee

There there quitter.

It'll be ok

tenor.gif

NAHimGOOD

Again, what have you done in your entire career at UPS (or anywhere for that matter) to better your work environment for anyone other than yourself?
Good morning...

I am currently employed.

How about you?

Hope this helps

nkm

Good morning...

I am currently employed.

How about you?

Hope this helps
What other skills do you have other than being a :censored2:bag? Again, name something that you've done in any part of your career to better your fellow union workers' work environment instead of just siphoning the benefits of a 30-year tenure. You've really gotta be a miserable person to be around, you're definitely a package car driver. Like so many people have said on this board, it's people exactly like you who are the problem at places like UPS. You want to be a bad person for what reason? Are you that much of a selfish person?

What other skills do you have other than being a *bag? Again, name something that you've done in any part of your career to better your fellow union workers' work environment instead of just siphoning the benefits of a 30-year tenure. You've really gotta be a miserable person to be around, you're definitely a package car driver. Like so many people have said on this board, it's people exactly like you who are the problem at places like UPS. You want to be a bad person for what reason? Are you that much of a selfish person?
You have no idea what some of us do to try to make this place better. If the doobies do not want to Go to union meeting or follow agreements when their rights are violated what else can we do for them?

We try to mentor these guys employment right direction so they don't do stupid things to get fired or get injured so they prolong their career here

nkm

You have no idea what some of us do to try to make this place better. If the doobies do not want to Go to union meeting or follow agreements when their rights are violated what else can we do for them?

We try to mentor these guys employment right direction so they don't do stupid things to get fired or get injured so they prolong their career here
Obviously I didn't direct my comment to you, I directed it to someone who just wants to be a total dickbag, exactly what I'm talking about. Even if he's half-ass joking, it's literally the behavior I described and that you're now seeming to agree with me that isn't the type of behavior you want to see from your coworkers especially in an environment where you're supposed to be unionized.

Obviously I didn't direct my comment to you, I directed it to someone who just wants to be a total dickbag, exactly what I'm talking about. Even if he's half-ass joking, it's literally the behavior I described and that you're now seeming to agree with me that isn't the type of behavior you want to see from your coworkers especially in an environment where you're supposed to be unionized.
I know it was not directed at me.
But...

If you gave us job a half a chance you might have seen with some of the good co-workers you would have had

nkm

I know it was not directed at me.
But...

If you gave us job a half a chance you might have seen with some of the good co-workers you would have had
I agree with you a hundred percent, and like I said I feel bad for quitting and I actually really didn't want to, but I saw enough wrong in the first week that I knew it was gonna be an absolute major headache.

I agree with you a hundred percent, and like I said I feel bad for quitting and I actually really didn't want to, but I saw enough wrong in the first week that I knew it was gonna be an absolute major headache.
I think we all felt that way when we first started.
I just got a dig in and keep on trucking