Quit Yesterday

ManInBrown

What is the point of completely bricking out the cars the way they do? Turn 5 seconds to get a package into 5 minutes. I couldn't walk through the back until 3pm the other day.
They don’t care. They like drivers that work mad. To them it shows that the driver cares. Mad drivers, possibly more production. And the fingernail biting scaredy cats might give them ten minutes for free on meal to get a couple more stops off because they’re panicked about the work on the truck.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
It took my manager team awhile to figure out the simple concept of stop over dispatching me. I have 41 pickups. (Only about 20 of them are legit and 2 only produce any real volume but they don't realize that somehow) after calling in multiple times about being unable to make pickups due to deliveries life has become so easy. I mean sure boss I'll drive back and unload those pickups but hell rush hour traffic plus all my pickups fall between 330-5pm I guess I just don't know what to do. Everyday they act like this is their first rodeo. So I say screw em. You can explain to the customer why things are missed because I'll point them directly to you. Ohh damn I forgot tou said don't give out the center number.....my bad.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Walked into the center in the morning with 240 stops on my rural route. There will obviously be missed after 12 hours of delivering along with everyone else in the center. Problem started when we were all told that nothing could be left in the center. Every package including those that won't be delivered need to go with us on the truck. I will skip the rest here, but there was a lot of yelling going back and forth between drivers, supervisors and the center manager. Eventually they settled with fitting as many packages as possible and they will come around and make sure there's no room to fit in more.

So how bad was it? I pulled my first 10 stops out and left the center with them in the cab because I couldn't walk into the back. I brought 2 air containers with me to hold small packages in the cab. I continued like that for 38 stops. In that time I couldn't open the sliding door 4 times due to boxes piling up against it. I had to go to the back, pull boxes onto the road and then climb on my stomach to clear boxes from the sliding door several times. I finally had enough when I twisted my ankle trying to get over a box.

This company sets you up to fail. They'd rather have numbers that show everyone left the center early and that they kept the center clean of packages... even though it will lower everyone's stops per hour to the ground from not being able to grab and sort the back of the truck.

After 47 stops I decided I had enough. Called in a vehicle breakdown to waste time and got towed back an hour later. Center manager says they got a van ready for me to deliver in, so start moving the packages from the truck, which the mechanic will look at later. Told him I'm taking a lunch break right then, he goes ballistic. I sit there and eat while he yells threats. Of course I don't care because I'm already quitting. I punch out after my lunch break, walk by his office and tell him all the packages are loaded and ready for him to deliver. Then I walked out.

Another package runner bites the dust for UPS, hope whoever gets my route can handle the stops per hour. I expect a lot of call ins or maybe even more people quitting on monday, because whatever happened with me happened to everyone else as well.

Before anyone asks, I have another job lined up that I'm exciting about even though it pays less. Wish you guys success with this job.
But you know ,just like everything with this company anymore, is the driver's fault. Missing an air? Why didn't you check in your RDL for that envelope???? It's buried under bulk? Nope should have moved that 138lb piece of pipe because only an idiot wouldn't look their first.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
But what if the Center Manager wants to get rid of you and decides to dump on you with more packages than you can handle every single day?

Can you be fired for messaging every single day that you won't be able to make your pick ups, or that you are returning to the building to dump the pick up pieces?
No, you can’t be fired for that. Continue sending in those messages. Put it on them. It’s their job to manage, make them do their job. If you’re over dispatched, it’s their job to fix that, not yours. Just worry about delivering packages and picking up packages in a safe and timely manner.

MrBates

They don’t care. They like drivers that work mad. To them it shows that the driver cares. Mad drivers, possibly more production. And the fingernail biting scaredy cats might give them ten minutes for free on meal to get a couple more stops off because they’re panicked about the work on the truck.
This...Is exactly what they do. UPS is like having a psycho girlfriend that gets off on having a boyfriend that gets mad. It's a mind game that alot of youngins fall for. They get mad because they think they are not good enough, start working faster and cutting corners to get the job done, and management will begin to try to squeeze a little more with more stops. It's what they are trained to do. When the truck is bricked out, I'm going to do everything I can as safe as possible, and if it takes me 14 hours with me bringing back stops, I will happily take the company's money without me having one complaint about it. I'm passive aggressive like that. They want to see if they can break you. I don't let them and eventually they get the idea and re adjust the stop count.

Re-Raise

I don’t think local management is as “devious” as many in this thread are claiming. I just think they are useless.

They don’t overload the routes because they feel the drivers will work harder to get done. They overload the routes because they aren’t allowed to hire enough drivers and don’t have enough pkg cars to handle the volume. They can claim that everything left the building on the conference call, and if it doesn’t get delivered it is all the driver’s fault.

Couple that with the fact that most of the management at UPS anymore have never really delivered a route ..and you get the current situation.

Hope the new job works out for you OP! We have all thought about doing exactly what you did. I actually sort of did the same thing last fall..but I had enough time in to retire.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Sheesh

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
This...Is exactly what they do. UPS is like having a psycho girlfriend that gets off on having a boyfriend that gets mad. It's a mind game that alot of youngins fall for. They get mad because they think they are not good enough, start working faster and cutting corners to get the job done, and management will begin to try to squeeze a little more with more stops. It's what they are trained to do. When the truck is bricked out, I'm going to do everything I can as safe as possible, and if it takes me 14 hours with me bringing back stops, I will happily take the company's money without me having one complaint about it. I'm passive aggressive like that. They want to see if they can break you. I don't let them and eventually they get the idea and re adjust the stop count.
You hit that nail on the head! They love playing the mind games. My route starts later because it's a heavy pick up route with drop boxes, UPS Store at the end, also a beer distributor. They know exactly what stops cause delays, are problems, and how many deliveries I can complete leaving time for all the pick ups. But they play the game of creeping stop counts. Whatever, I'm still going to work my same pace. If I'm late, it's on them. I send in my ETA when asked, you guys make it work, cause I don't care about getting back late, more OT for me, but they get their butts chewed out over missed airs or packages not making the trucks. I'll play this stupid games as long as they do, I'm paid either way, my original goal of being here.
I don’t think local management is as “devious” as many in this thread are claiming. I just think they are useless.

They don’t overload the routes because they feel the drivers will work harder to get done. They overload the routes because they aren’t allowed to hire enough drivers and don’t have enough pkg cars to handle the volume. They can claim that everything left the building on the conference call, and if it doesn’t get delivered it is all the driver’s fault.

Couple that with the fact that most of the management at UPS anymore have never really delivered a route ..and you get the current situation.
No, they ARE that devious. Routes are overloaded while they stay sending drivers home. Bonus is their goal. Not enough PC? There are empties in the yard daily. If volume is still great, rentals are a thing. This company knows exactly what it's doing. Bad news for them, so do I. Game on fellows, it's your dime!

Walked into the center in the morning with 240 stops on my rural route. There will obviously be missed after 12 hours of delivering along with everyone else in the center. Problem started when we were all told that nothing could be left in the center. Every package including those that won't be delivered need to go with us on the truck. I will skip the rest here, but there was a lot of yelling going back and forth between drivers, supervisors and the center manager. Eventually they settled with fitting as many packages as possible and they will come around and make sure there's no room to fit in more.

So how bad was it? I pulled my first 10 stops out and left the center with them in the cab because I couldn't walk into the back. I brought 2 air containers with me to hold small packages in the cab. I continued like that for 38 stops. In that time I couldn't open the sliding door 4 times due to boxes piling up against it. I had to go to the back, pull boxes onto the road and then climb on my stomach to clear boxes from the sliding door several times. I finally had enough when I twisted my ankle trying to get over a box.

This company sets you up to fail. They'd rather have numbers that show everyone left the center early and that they kept the center clean of packages... even though it will lower everyone's stops per hour to the ground from not being able to grab and sort the back of the truck.

After 47 stops I decided I had enough. Called in a vehicle breakdown to waste time and got towed back an hour later. Center manager says they got a van ready for me to deliver in, so start moving the packages from the truck, which the mechanic will look at later. Told him I'm taking a lunch break right then, he goes ballistic. I sit there and eat while he yells threats. Of course I don't care because I'm already quitting. I punch out after my lunch break, walk by his office and tell him all the packages are loaded and ready for him to deliver. Then I walked out.

Another package runner bites the dust for UPS, hope whoever gets my route can handle the stops per hour. I expect a lot of call ins or maybe even more people quitting on monday, because whatever happened with me happened to everyone else as well.

Before anyone asks, I have another job lined up that I'm exciting about even though it pays less. Wish you guys success with this job.
This happens a lot more than you realize

Seymour Packages

I always remind myself.

I get paid the same if I deliver 5 packages in 12 hours or 150.

Set me up to fail and I'm going to make sure I do in spectacular fashion.
Yes! If they want to play games and overdispatch me, I will make sure I burn it to the ground. There is nothing better than seeing the ORS' face when I return to the building at 22:48, punch out at 22:58, and smile and go home. It has only happened to me a few times, but it is great when it does. I get time and a half, he doesn't. We can do this all night, every night until each of you clowns get the message.

Re-Raise

No, they ARE that devious. Routes are overloaded while they stay sending drivers home. Bonus is their goal. Not enough PC? There are empties in the yard daily. If volume is still great, rentals are a thing. This company knows exactly what it's doing. Bad news for them, so do I. Game on fellows, it's your dime!
I still think you are giving them too much credit thinking they have some master plan. In my 35 yrs at UPS, I had probably 15 different Center Managers and about 20 driver sups. Most were like deer in headlights when things got crazy.

The day I retired, my Center Manager had to take my route out because no one on vacation would come in to run it. He picked up my helper, and asked him how to get to the first town I delivered to. They were out until 11pm, even with four other drivers being sent to help them.

On a side note, apparently we have a handful of drivers coming up to our center from another center because we have so many drivers out on comp and recent retirements. One of thoss guys took his DIAD and left in the wrong pkg car...they couldn’t get him to answer any messages, but they followed him on the computer as he went to houses in the DIAD. At each stop he couldn’t find the pkgs, of course, so he followed mapnav to the next stop, where of course he also couldn’t find the pkgs!

He did this for two hours before they got ahold of him to come back to the center!

quad decade guy

They win....you lose.

I have had days like that. At a time when there wasn't cell phones to take pictures which could have been construed as stealing time....btw.

On days like this (yes, I had many), one pkg, one stop at a time. This during a time that was paper records and having no real idea what was on the truck. 300 stops on an old P600.....Christmas and went back to the same add. 2-3 times....back then you had to drive to beg a phone(I wasn't going to pay for it) and listen while they ripped you for only having a fraction of stops off by noon...delivered till 22:00 AND BROUGHT BACK MANY...

I've been here 40 years....it's always worked out. And you would be if you weren't such a hot head. Yep.

We are all human beings. The mgt. team is fighting a battle on two fronts. This in no way condones what is going on. IN NO WAY. It is shameful.

Now, even the most obtuse realize this is not tenable. It will pass and level out. It has to.

Now, there is no counting how they would smear and try to blame you. Try. Say, did everyone else quit?

When I tell folks how long I've been here...they are (usually) impressed....because they've mostly quit all their life.

While I'm mostly sympathetic....and understand.....your situation......

Good riddance.

quad decade guy

What is the point of completely bricking out the cars the way they do? Turn 5 seconds to get a package into 5 minutes. I couldn't walk through the back until 3pm the other day.
Desperation.

And so. One stop, one pkg at a time. If they send you out this way.......point it out with a steward and go to work. It will eventually smooth out.....it has to.

Remember, they couldn't do it any better......this will eventually win out.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Why leave with a bricked out car? Leave some sht out of the truck that’s too large and a later delivery and have them bring it to you.
I do it everyday.
They hate me for it and I can move around in my truck.
Big W for the driver

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In that time I couldn't open the sliding door 4 times due to boxes piling up against it. I had to go to the back, pull boxes onto the road and then climb on my stomach to clear boxes from the sliding door several times. I finally had enough when I twisted my ankle trying to get over a box.

Rookie mistake.

You should have started delivering out of the back of the truck, until you had a clear walk path through the truck.

Then.... file a grievance for safety and follow up with a complaint to OSHA.

But, you quit and threw in the towel. Don't expect everyone else to follow suit.

How long were you driver ?

quad decade guy

Why leave with a bricked out car? Leave some sht out of the truck that’s too large and a later delivery and have them bring it to you.
I do it everyday.
They hate me for it and I can move around in my truck.
Big W for the driver
Well, this could surely get you fired quickly/eventually. You don't get to just do what you want. A quick verbal instruction to don't do this ^ and that starts the disciplinary process. The smartest thing to do is just leave with the truck as loaded.......it'll get fixed.

quad decade guy

Rookie mistake.

You should have started delivering out of the back of the truck, until you had a clear walk path through the truck.

Then.... file a grievance for safety and follow up with a complaint to OSHA.

But, you quit and threw in the towel. Don't expect everyone else to follow suit.

How long were you driver ?
I agree.

My money is on not very long(being a driver). I would add to take pictures....but only bring them out as they try to fire you.....