Racism @ UPS and the Union

P700slave

Exactly how does UPS & the Union handle racism and workplace violence? We had feeder driver recently cursing racial slurs, threaten a supervisor, and threaten to kill workers at the center... yet he is back in service less than a week after the incident.There's something terribly wrong with this. Is this tolerable just because my center is in South Carolina?
Its because we have a union. We had a guy once that got caught high on weed, driving a package car, and got his job back. Thats BS.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I just started working at the hub in south carolina. I don't know how I feel about it at all. So far I have been asked "hey this might seem racist but youre not going to blow everything up are you?"[implying i look like a terrorist i guess? ] Listened to a million anti black "jokes". Have basically been told I can't get water when I need it. Was worked my first day 5 hours and almost passed out around a third of the way into it. Had a supervisor call me a pu**y. i dont know, but im getting pissed already.

I heard UPSin' in South Cackalack ain't easy.

Sent using a Potato

Overpaid Union Thug

I have noticed at our hub (Whites Creek , Tn) in Nashville that we now have a Union within our Union . We have a Black Caucus that has a very strong presence around our facility . Strange as it might seem to some , it seems as if a large portion of our black Teamster brothers participate in this new found Union . While we are seeking to strenghten our Union , Local 480 , we are put at odds with each other when having to wonder why would we need a seperate Union just for minoritys . I have personally tried to buy a T-shirt/hoodie as I thought the design was cool , but told I couldnt purchase the shirt , I was told I could purchase Teamster or Local 480 shirts at our Local Union Hall , which left me to feel as if my 20 dollar bill wasnt wanted because it was coming from a white guy . If anybody could please explain to me why we need 2 seperate unions for blacks and whites , while in the end the same business agents represent us both , do me a favor and give me and the rest of us a reason why a black caucus is needed

That explains allot actually. I fall under that local but I'm not in Whites Creek. The last union meeting I went to I ran into a guy I knew all through middle/high school (black guy) from Whites Creek and after the meeting was adjourned everyone split off into little clicks and I did notice that all of the black people seemed to have their own. I didn't think nothing of it though because that's just common. I approached that guy I know because I hadn't seem him in like a decade and it seemed like the grouped didn't want me around. I just didn't think much of it then but I have heard some other people mention what you just said. I am so sick of this double standard decisive BS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No, they are not and should not be tolerated; however, you will need to either learn to ignore such behavior or you will need to find work elsewhere.

Sent using BrownCafe App
it is not just at ups, there are idiots everywhere. Because you may be working with a few imbeciles, dont let them ruin a job, you might actually like. Because anywhere you go you will run into rude, obnoxious people. Dont let them control where you go in life. If you dont like the work, quit, it is not for everyone. but dont let other people rule your destiny. You will never control people who have no respect for others. But they do not have any control on how you act.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Someone doesn't know what "derail" means...

I bet it's the same person that gets his feelings hurt when his walkie talkie toting sup calls him a vulgar synonym for female reproductive anatomy.

If the shoe fits...

Sent using a Potato
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1397962402.920593.jpg

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It used to be that as you traveled down I-75 in the south there seemed to be a Shoney's at every other exit. Last time I went to Atlanta you couldn't find a Shoney's to save your life.