Rate increases vs raises

It will be fine

Managers discretion allows for favouritism. All employees should be treated the same, especially when it comes to discipline. I have seen people fired for things that other people get a slap on the wrist for.
Not all employees perform or behave the same, why should they be treated the same? If one person is awful and consistently does a bad job why shouldn't they suffer more punishment than a good employee? If you're not good at your job you lose the benefit of the doubt.

dezguy

Not all employees perform or behave the same, why should they be treated the same? If one person is awful and consistently does a bad job why shouldn't they suffer more punishment than a good employee? If you're not good at your job you lose the benefit of the doubt.
That is what progressive discipline is for. If you're a :censored2: up and continue to :censored2: up, you're going to feel the consequences where as, if you :censored2: up once, you're corrected and sent on your merry way.

As I said, I have seen too many instances of people being fired for something another courier got a "don't do that again". Pretty strange coincidence that the people who get a warning are all the managers "work through break and take out 20 over the stop count" people.

It will be fine

That is what progressive discipline is for. If you're a :censored2: up and continue to :censored2: up, you're going to feel the consequences where as, if you :censored2: up once, you're corrected and sent on your merry way.

As I said, I have seen too many instances of people being fired for something another courier got a "don't do that again". Pretty strange coincidence that the people who get a warning are all the managers "work through break and take out 20 over the stop count" people.
So good productive employees get treated better than the ones that only do the bare minimum, that's shocking.

dezguy

So good productive employees get treated better than the ones that only do the bare minimum, that's shocking.
... Or, employees who allow themselves to be taken advantage of are treated better than the ones who know the people manual and don't allow themselves to be taken advantage of...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Managers discretion allows for favouritism. All employees should be treated the same, especially when it comes to discipline.

That means that an employee who exceeds his 14 hour DOT limit because he runs an extended route and his truck breaks down would get the same warning letter that would be given to a guy who had the same violation due to poor performance.

dezguy

That means that an employee who exceeds his 14 hour DOT limit because he runs an extended route and his truck breaks down would get the same warning letter that would be given to a guy who had the same violation due to poor performance.
How about one employee being fired for using a gas points card where another is told not to do it again?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

And how much sense does it make to give a warning letter to someone who went over hours because of something out of his control?

dezguy

None, but he doesn't want managers having any discretion. In that case, a violation is a violation.
And in the current FedEx, one employee could be given a warning letter while another can be asked to explain what happened and let go without anything for the same infraction. Or as I stated above and have seen happen; One employee being fired while the other is given a slap on the wrist.

As I said earlier in this thread; Manager discretion allows for favourtism.

It will be fine

And in the current FedEx, one employee could be given a warning letter while another can be asked to explain what happened and let go without anything for the same infraction. Or as I stated above and have seen happen; One employee being fired while the other is given a slap on the wrist.

It's called Life, you'll get treated better if people like you, it's not hard to understand.

dezguy

It's called Life, you'll get treated better if people like you, it's not hard to understand.
FedEx likes to promote itself as some last bastion of a people company. Seems to me, if they they want people to think they're a people company, all employees should be treated equally. Otherwise, just call yourself what you really are; Just like McDonalds.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about one employee being fired for using a gas points card where another is told not to do it again?

When I got my Plenti card I specifically asked my center manager if I could use this while refueling my pkg car. He had no problem with it and I haven't heard a word about it.

dezguy

When I got my Plenti card I specifically asked my center manager if I could use this while refueling my pkg car. He had no problem with it and I haven't heard a word about it.
Not only are we specifically told we are not to use a points card when filling FedEx vehicles, our gas card have NO POINTS printed right on them.

dezguy

Do the receipts indicate whether a points card was used?
Yes but there is a work around you can use to get the points after the fact.

The person who got caught and had nothing happen to them wasn't smart enough to use this work around but then again, neither was management because they were doing this for months before it was pointed out to them.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

And as I've seen it happen, the "same infraction" often carries with it different circumstances from the other occurrence of the "same infraction."

If you think you want no discretion, you're a fool.