Re-bidding Routes Annually (delivery)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't ever see them getting rid of the biannual bidding process; however, if they are indeed moving 50% or more of your work to another run you do have the right to follow that work.

Trip has told us that his center does not bid any routes and that all drivers, regardless of seniority, are unassigned. That would suck.

Some centers have bid cycles as short as one year and others bid for life. To me, one year is way too short-----you just learn the area and may end up having to learn a new----while staying on the same route for 20-30 (or more) years would be really boring.

Our previous center manager felt if OK to move drivers around as needed.
We bid for life but you don't have to stay on it forever. Can always bid a better route.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We bid for life but you don't have to stay on it forever. Can always bid a better route.
I don't think it's "bad" but I would prefer bi-annual bids.

Out of curiosity, how does your local/supplement handle 22.3 bids? Are any new or existing jobs open for FT and PT to bid? Or PT can only bid new jobs?

Gimme Danger

New England has bids every 2 years on all full time jobs. We used to bid annually, the company would take forever to move people they didn't like, sometimes not at all.
Now if the biennial bid isn't completed by June 15 then it reverts to an annual bid in that Local until the contract ends.
It seems to work fine for us.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Out of curiosity, how does your local/supplement handle 22.3 bids? Are any new or existing jobs open for FT and PT to bid? Or PT can only bid new jobs?

I believe only PT can bid.

The way it should work is;

Part-timers can bid on new 22.3 jobs.

After that, existing 22.3 jobs would be bid in the classification first.

If not filled.... then they would be open to all full-timers in other classifications.

-Bug-

tourists24

We bid our routes here once a year. I like it. Bid by seniority. If you have high seniority you can always stay on your route or bid to a new one. Some of our guys like the change of scenery if they get bored with a route.

Dhydratd

Not too long ago, residential routes were the way to go. Only the senior guys got them. Now, the residential routes get :censored2:ed because of the SPC metric. Resi gets jacked to compensate for commercial routes that need to get pickup volume back for processing. I like being able to bid annually. I may, in fact, bid back to a commercial route next January so I can clock out before 9pm.

542thruNthru

Not too long ago, residential routes were the way to go. Only the senior guys got them. Now, the residential routes get :censored2:ed because of the SPC metric. Resi gets jacked to compensate for commercial routes that need to get pickup volume back for processing. I like being able to bid annually. I may, in fact, bid back to a commercial route next January so I can clock out before 9pm.

Why not just get on 9.5?

Dr.Brownz

Those guys should have enough seniority to keep their route. This would mainly effect the younger seniority drivers.

Only the number one guy is guaranteed his route again. #2 could take #3's route just to be a wankker and start all kinds of drama. Lifetime bids lead to old man routes being created which benefit the next driver (if they are smart)

Rack em

Made the Podium
They don't honor 9.5 here. They'd rather pay the grievance than put another truck on the road.
Article 37, Section 1, Subsection c.

"If a driver is paid a penalty under this subsection more than three (3) times in a single five (5) month opt-in period, then the District labor Manager and Business Agent will meet with the Center Manager, the steward and the driver to ensure future compliance under this subsection. If any other further penalty is paid on this employee during the five (5) month period, a meeting shall be scheduled with the above parties and the Co-Chairs of the applicable Supplemental panel to determine what actions are necessary to ensure compliance."

35years

Gravy route
Only the number one guy is guaranteed his route again. #2 could take #3's route just to be a wankker and start all kinds of drama. Lifetime bids lead to old man routes being created which benefit the next driver (if they are smart)
Yep.
I am an old man with a gravy route, we bid lifetime unless bumped because of re-looping.

They "gave" the route to a less senior runner gunner for a few years by a little trick they use. When I bumped him off it, I had to gradually get the stop counts down using many 9.5 grievances.

Now the utility drivers fight over who covers my route when I am off.
When I finally give up my route a seasoned driver will get it who will keep the stop count down like I do.