Ready to Strike?

Thebrownblob

I respectfully disagree.

Hence the purpose of eliminating the 2/3's rule. He was bound by the IBT constitution. A no-win situation.

Unfortunately, the members showed their disdain and disinterest by not voting.
One of my former business agents was on the negotiation committee and returned for a break in negotiations and told me about the new article 22.4

As he was explaining it I asked him if he was insane thinking it would work? I have tons of respect for him but for whatever reason everyone on that committee thought it was a good idea or at the very least was manageable.

And I guess it would be the interpretation of if it was the “final offer” which I’m not sure it was, I never heard the word final offer from the company. If I remember the provision correctly if it was the “final offer” then the provision had to be implemented by the president. I guess I’m not certain because the company did put out a statement directly after saying they were ready to go back to the table. Either way I’m not debating the outcome would have been much different. There is lots of hate for Hoffa. Difficult for me to hate everything that was done while he was in office. Lots of things he could’ve done better, and the 2018 contract was a setback that we need to fix.

PT Car Washer

One of my former business agents was on the negotiation committee and returned for a break in negotiations and told me about the new article 22.4

As he was explaining it I asked him if he was insane thinking it would work? I have tons of respect for him but for whatever reason everyone on that committee thought it was a good idea or at the very least was manageable.

And I guess it would be the interpretation of if it was the “final offer” which I’m not sure it was, I never heard the word final offer from the company. If I remember the provision correctly if it was the “final offer” then the provision had to be implemented by the president. I guess I’m not certain because the company did put out a statement directly after saying they were ready to go back to the table. Either way I’m not debating the outcome would have been much different. There is lots of hate for Hoffa. Difficult for me to hate everything that was done while he was in office. Lots of things he could’ve done better, and the 2018 contract was a setback that we need to fix.
There have been setbacks for the last 40 years and I don't see next years contract to be any different.

Thebrownblob

There have been setbacks for the last 40 years and I don't see next years contract to be any different.
I agree there’s been setbacks but there have also been some good things as well. We are still the highest paid in the industry and we still have great benefits we have implemented 9.5 language that has gotten better each contract although still not perfect. We have managed to keep a pension and healthcare for our workforce. Quite a few other things as well. I suspect none of us would work here if those things had not happened.

Having said that I agree the contracts could be better and I think they will be moving forward.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I respectfully disagree.

Hence the purpose of eliminating the 2/3's rule. He was bound by the IBT constitution. A no-win situation.

Unfortunately, the members showed their disdain and disinterest by not voting.

The 2/3 or 50 % voter participation clause was applied after the voting results.

What is personal opinion on why there is so much voter apathy?...you can not put this totally on our membership who in fact rejected the last Contract.

Those apathetic voting percentages reflect the 70 % (transient) part time and 30 % full time UPS membership totals.

Thebrownblob

The 2/3 or 50 % voter participation clause was applied after the voting results.

What is personal opinion on why there is so much voter apathy?...you can not put this totally on our membership who in fact rejected the last Contract.

Those apathetic voting percentages reflect the 70 % (transient) part time and 30 % full time UPS membership totals.
I never understood voter apathy, especially when you’re voting on a contract that directly affects you for the next few years even if you don’t plan on being at UPS Long term. I’ve never missed a vote and I was not always involved as a youngster.

DELACROIX

I never understood voter apathy, especially when you’re voting on a contract that directly affects you for the next few years even if you don’t plan on being at UPS Long term. I’ve never missed a vote and I was not always involved as a youngster.

That dismissal voting percentages are mostly a result of lack of participation by our part time members. The members that consider this a career are for the most part voting and a lot of them do not research the proposals and follow the whatever the leadership says.

Thebrownblob

That dismissal voting percentages are mostly a result of lack of participation by our part time members. The members that consider this a career are for the most part voting and a lot of them do not research the proposals and follow the whatever the leadership says.
I can assure you I did not vote as a part timer thinking I was going to be here, I was in college and had planned to do other things. I did end up staying because the opportunity was presented and it was a good choice.

Thebrownblob

I swear it's like shawshank redemption in here most days.

Why is your pension bad?
"Hoffa :censored2:ed me!"

Why you working 6 day weeks?
"Hoffa :censored2:ed me!"

30 years here and I’ve never wanted for much of anything, my families health and needs have been attended to because of union contracts negotiated and enforced by the Hoffa administration. That does not give him a pass for his mistakes. I got to meet him in person at the 2016 Las Vegas convention, I was struck by the fact he seemed quite old. It’s a tough job and I think he lost any fight he had.

Trucker Clock

We don't manage the company so let the company worry about the company's problems.

The Company making money is our problem. If the Company doesn't make money, we don't have a job.

I replied to someone who wanted all of the Company's profits to go to us. No profit, no job. Period.

Our problem is how much of that profit should go to us.

DELACROIX

The Company making money is our problem. If the Company doesn't make money, we don't have a job.

I replied to someone who wanted all of the Company's profits to go to us. No profit, no job. Period.

Our problem is how much of that profit should go to us.

With Carol grossing 27,000,000 salary, perks plus stock incentives... meanwhile Sean O’Brien will clear under 300,000 a year running a 1.5 million member Collective Bargaining Unit...

Do we have an issue with that?

Damn Right...:grrr:

Trucker Clock

With Carol grossing 27,000,000 salary, perks plus stock incentives... meanwhile Sean O’Brien will clear under 300,000 a year running a 1.5 million member Collective Bargaining Unit...

Do we have an issue with that?

Yes. $27 million is ridiculous. But it is on par with other Fortune 50 Companies. It is also on par with what O'Brien makes. That's the world we live in.

Barra of GM made $20 million.
Donahoe of Nike made $32 million
Argrawal of Twitter made $30 million
Gorsky of Johnson & Johnson made $26 million
Quincey of Coca-Cola made $26 million

O'Brien makes roughly 0.0003% of the Teamsters gross revenue. Carol makes roughly 0.00027% of UPS's gross revenue. So, percentage wise of gross income, Carol actually makes less than O'Brien. I am not defending it, I am just equating the two.

Yes, the Teamsters have more members than UPS has employees, but compensation packages are not based on the number of employees, it is based on revenue. So, O'Brien is taking more money from the Teamsters, percentage wise, than Carol is taking from UPS.

And, I agree, Carol's salary slightly affects UPS's profit. But, if she were to give her entire salary to us, we would get about $60 per year per employee. So a full time employee may get a $0.03/hr raise.

Again, yes, $27 million is a ridiculous salary for one person to make. And yes, we need a raise to keep up with inflation.

DELACROIX

Yes. $27 million is ridiculous. But it is on par with other Fortune 50 Companies. It is also on par with what O'Brien makes. That's the world we live in.

Barra of GM made $20 million.
Donahoe of Nike made $32 million
Argrawal of Twitter made $30 million
Gorsky of Johnson & Johnson made $26 million
Quincey of Coca-Cola made $26 million

O'Brien makes roughly 0.0003% of the Teamsters gross revenue. Carol makes roughly 0.00027% of UPS's gross revenue. So, percentage wise of gross income, Carol actually makes less than O'Brien. I am not defending it, I am just equating the two.

Yes, the Teamsters have more members than UPS has employees, but compensation packages are not based on the number of employees, it is based on revenue. So, O'Brien is taking more money from the Teamsters, percentage wise, than Carol is taking from UPS.

And, I agree, Carol's salary slightly affects UPS's profit. But, if she were to give her entire salary to us, we would get about $60 per year per employee. So a full time employee may get a $0.03/hr raise.

Again, yes, $27 million is a ridiculous salary for one person to make. And yes, we need a raise to keep up with inflation.

...and don’t forget about our pension increases...for God’s sake we need those too....