Ready to Strike?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
After reading the article on CNN , you may be right. The company speaks about a contingency plan if you go on strike. That sounds like chest beating BS. How are they going to replace 350,000 workers deliver 21,000,000 packages a day?

But what is worrisome is that UPS handles about 6% of the nations business , The president could order a NO STRIKE as a matter of national security as Reagan did with the air traffic controller strike.

The union called Reagan's bluff and lost. Those controllers were fired and replaced.

Something to think about.

You realize air traffic controller’s are government employees

Ups workers are not

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
While I walked the line in 97.....I did not vote for it.....as I will not vote to strike this time.
How can you make this statement before seeing what is being offered and what is being taken away
Nothing but a sheep
We have a name for folks like you out here
Chicken :censored2:s

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh look, a retiree telling us what work conditions we should be ok with.

That's easy. Just reiterate that we had a brother die under the working conditions, and show the video of the guy who got woozy and collapsed in front of the ring camera. Then bring up all the other safety issues we deal with and the number of injuries and how many people end up on disability.
That is not why I posted that. I was just showing everyone the negative press that has already started. You better get used to it because J.Q. Public won't understand why you are striking with headlines like this. I'm looking forward to visiting the strike line with a case of beer.

That is not why I posted that. I was just showing everyone the negative press that has already started. You better get used to it because J.Q. Public won't understand why you are striking with headlines like this. I'm looking forward to visiting the strike line with a case of beer.
Screenshot_20220906-103512-433.png

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Just gotta remember the wise words of Ricky Nelson. You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.

We'll have supporters, and we'll have haters. It's a story as old as time.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
all this chest beating.....funny. same thing happened in 97 but at my hub people were ready to cross the line after 2 weeks.

if corp had kept us out another week they would have won.

Managers were asking us after we came back to work how much longer they would have stayed out and like idiots most drivers were saying "not much longer" because of mortgage and toy payments and they were not prepared.

You think managers were just curious by coincidence or did that come down from the top.

DUH

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Scabbing is highly looked down upon in the aviation community so I would be shocked if the pilots did not honor your strike. I am a IAM member and Most if not all IAM mechanics will honor it. Already has been discussed in my shop and our union will tell us not to cross.

We had a couple of guys beating the "the drivers would not honor our strike" drum and I told them while that may be true, you dont want to be the guy everyone will always remember as crossing the line. They will never forget it.

When I put it that way the two guys that were talking about scabbing got it, nobody with any brains wants to be shunned for decades, and probably run under the bus daily.
Our pilots are stand up guys.
Some were on our picket line in the 97 strike from the Reno airport.

reginald95

Not voting to strike. UPS has allowed me to own my own home and support my family all without a lick of higher education. Everyone at some point had to work insane amount of overtime and deal with the elements. Once you put in the years, you will see how this just is a cakewalk.

You think this :censored2: is tough? Look at people digging ditches, doing landscaping day in day out. Work safe, drink lots of water, use the methods and take extra cooling breaks during the hot summers. Stop playing into the games of management if they tell try to reprimand you for looking out for your own safety.

As for the part-timers, I do think their wages need to be looked at. Most jobs flipping burgers pay 15 bucks an hour starting in a lot of areas and some even pay more.

nWo

Everyone voted for Sean like he was the second coming. Now nobody has any faith in him to negotiate a contract without striking.

TopsyKrets

$41.51
Let's say a 3 week no paycheck scenario.....or benefits....

What's in that new contract to make up the lost wages and benefits to strike start? How long would it take to get there?

The 97 strike set my region back years. Personally, taking 5 years to gain feeder seniority. Things like that.

And of course helping Fed-Ex to establish ground......and losing volume we have not regained to this day.

And Central States PF still went to UPS.....(in effect)....a good thing.

While I walked the line in 97.....I did not vote for it.....as I will not vote to strike this time. There must be a better way and there is from both sides. Having hot-headed(and ignorant) fools on both sides....often leads to disaster.....no matter the subject.

Having experienced 97......I don't think we can be replaced instantly. Feeder contractors can easily replace that section. It could be ugly initially but doable eventually. It's happening now. It would take months or years to replace the pkg drivers.....with all that volume piling up. This was realized in 97. Considering it takes about 30 days to train each driver to UPS's productivity rate.But at Amazon level.....quite doable.
Load/unload? Any physically able person can do this......visualizing temps by the hundreds....Preload/pkg cars? Well, we all know it's been lowered about as far as possible.
For those holding your breath for A/C.....cameras......PVD's....22.4's all things already here and up and running......going away?

Now, there are several scenario's........UPS closes the doors and re-emerges in some way......with or without the Union...

It all get's settled beforehand and we go on.

Personally my vacation will start Aug 1 and my papers(retirement) are for Nov. 1. Hopefully this pays me for a strike and I will retire with more money per month. I'd rather spread my vacation around a little more...missing August would be a treat though...
I’m sorry but I had trouble reading everything you said after “while I walked the line in 97”.

Are you saying that you crossed a picket line?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Ready? Me? No. My coworkers? Most want to out of spite, and at the very beginning I was too, but after reading up on people’s accounts who were there in 97, the way the economy is going, and talking with the BA I developed a more rational and diplomatic point of view. I would want to take part in one for historical reasons, but I’m up for diplomacy. Will we get it? Not sure. Anything and everything is up in the air. It’s a new union president with on the other side a new CEO. I feel many part timers including me would be the following sans the firing: