Ready to Strike?

Thebrownblob

It's fine to understand that the final deal will end up somewhere in the middle. But if you aren't playing to get as close to what you want as possible, you're leaving what you could have had in the pocket of the other guy. The car deal isn't that apt a comparison, because if you walk away from that, no one is really hurt. Walking away from labor negotiations because the company isn't willing to give up a little more profit will end up costing them a lot of profit, particularly in the short term, when we go on strike.
I understand what you meant and I was only talking to people here we have to go in strong for sure. Which I believe they are doing.

The crazy part is the rhetoric has only begun and we already have people saying we can’t win it’s over lol.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It is not a matter of getting everything we want..I would be happy if they would correct injustices from the past concessionary agreements.

Let’s start off with equity in wages, pensions and healthcare for all our members, none of this business about some of our members getting half or less for the same amount of service years in their pension benefits.

We all seen this fear mongering before..every contract you have doom and gloom posters show up just before a contract year seeding worst case scenarios. And all of them are not Company plants, in the past we had our share of Union ones trying to persuade the rank and file to ratify another concessionary contract.

We need to push for everything we want and be willing to strike over it until we get something we can accept. Going in knowing we will give up stuff puts the negotiators in a mentally weak position.

Thebrownblob

We need to push for everything we want and be willing to strike over it until we get something we can accept. Going in knowing we will give up stuff puts the negotiators in a mentally weak position.

Well I wish every member had that resolve. Many on here are acting like we make just enough money let’s not upset the apple cart lol. Does UPS not profit billions every year and raise their rates every year? should we not also enjoy that as well including some better work rules?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Well I wish every member had that resolve. Many on here are acting like we make just enough money let’s not upset the apple cart lol. Does UPS not profit billions every year and raise their rates every year? should we not also enjoy that as well including some better work rules?

It's the people who tell me we've always worked peak hours year round and that we should be ok with it that I don't get. I've been here a while. The number of hours they expect us to work outside of peak have gone up. Peak season has officially stretched from 1 to 3 months.

Thebrownblob

It's the people who tell me we've always worked peak hours year round and that we should be ok with it that I don't get. I've been here a while. The number of hours they expect us to work outside of peak have gone up. Peak season has officially stretched from 1 to 3 months.
Also curiously many of the same people who complain about the cameras, the hours, PVDs, safety , The company doing whatever they want, the union doing nothing are the same one suggesting it’s not worth fighting?

mikejonesjr

I have a general question. I’m about 10 years part time and decided I wanna drive. There are no 22.4 bids up but there is a seasonal driver bid up for peak. Does doing the seasonal driving help my chances when the 22.4 bid goes up? I don’t really wanna just drive seasonal and get screwed over in a uhaul just to have to come back in the building in January and wait for a regular driver bid regardless. I’m pretty sure I can make the same money if not more working in the building during peak since their only paying seasonal guys $21 an hour. Am I better off just waiting for a regular driver bid next year thanks

Thebrownblob

I have a general question. I’m about 10 years part time and decided I wanna drive. There are no 22.4 bids up but there is a seasonal driver bid up for peak. Does doing the seasonal driving help my chances when the 22.4 bid goes up? I don’t really wanna just drive seasonal and get screwed over in a uhaul just to have to come back in the building in January and wait for a regular driver bid regardless. I’m pretty sure I can make the same money if not more working in the building during peak since their only paying seasonal guys $21 an hour. Am I better off just waiting for a regular driver bid next year thanks

Going seasonal does not help you, should strictly be seniority. Now having said that it might help you get used to the job but that’s up to you.

Driving Seasonal could give you some valuable experience for when you do try and qualify.

The Brown Shadow

Not voting to strike. UPS has allowed me to own my own home and support my family all without a lick of higher education. Everyone at some point had to work insane amount of overtime and deal with the elements. Once you put in the years, you will see how this just is a cakewalk.

You think this :censored2: is tough? Look at people digging ditches, doing landscaping day in day out. Work safe, drink lots of water, use the methods and take extra cooling breaks during the hot summers. Stop playing into the games of management if they tell try to reprimand you for looking out for your own safety.

As for the part-timers, I do think their wages need to be looked at. Most jobs flipping burgers pay 15 bucks an hour starting in a lot of areas and some even pay more.
Exactly this.

Right now my hub is in desperate need of pt timers. The trailers I bring in usually get unloaded on twi, but are being rolled over until next day sort.
UPS needs to up starting pay, but if they upped it then the teamsters will want more on top of that so I think UPS is trying to keep its powder dry and in doing so is hurting their own operation.
-UPS abused 22.4 so should lose it, could have been a great idea if implemented it properly.
-A/C? Counter productive to pkgs. I did 24 years in pkgs in a fairly hot place. I want to know diet of the guy who killed over or ones who keep getting exhaustion.

The Brown Shadow

Landscapers make twice what we make where I live. WTH are you talking about? Thanks for pointing out starting wages flipping burgers is higher than UPS, while also stating with your first sentence that you don’t give af about part timers. Answer this, why take the companies side out the gate, but then mention your concerned about PTs? Those 2 don’t go together.
How I delete this accidental post?

Last edited:

The Brown Shadow

It will work about as well as it worked in 1997.
I was hired as a driver 4 mos. before 97 strike. It was bad for the company, took about 6 years to regain market share. When UPS took that hit we had very few new pkg drivers hired over the next 5 years in my area. Bad for UPS is bad for Teamsters.

Thebrownblob

I was hired as a driver 4 mos. before 97 strike. It was bad for the company, took about 6 years to regain market share. When UPS took that hit we had very few new pkg drivers in my hired over the next 5 years in my area. Bad for UPS is bad for Teamsters.
It’s always an unfortunate thing but it wasn’t wasn’t bad for all the full-time jobs we won, because of the strike of 97 I was offered a 22.3 job and package car say very same day three years later those inside jobs would’ve never happened without it. We have close to 200 here

The Brown Shadow

It’s always an unfortunate thing but it wasn’t wasn’t bad for all the full-time jobs we won, because of the strike of 97 I was offered a 22.3 job and package car say very same day three years later those inside jobs would’ve never happened without it. We have close to 200 here
UPS would be smart to make more 22.3s imo. Can eliminate some need for PT positions if you make more FT ones.
Was that the "dividing line" in 97? So stupid (on UPS's part) if it was.

Thebrownblob

UPS would be smart to make more 22.3s imo. Can eliminate some need for PT positions if you make more FT ones.
Was that the "dividing line" in 97? So stupid (on UPS's part) if it was.
Realistically in 97 it had a lot to do with The pension. That was the Union‘s biggest Folly. The full-time jobs was a win so it’s a 50-50

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Realistically in 97 it had a lot to do with The pension. That was the Union‘s biggest Folly. The full-time jobs was a win so it’s a 50-50

Keeping UPS away from our pension benefits was also a Big Time Win...do you realize that if they would of taken control over everyone’s pension including the Western Conference. Look what they are doing to their own, they would of done the same thing to ours.

The formula proposed by he company back in “97” was 50 dollars per service year for your part time hours ..100 dollars per service year for your full time years... capped at 35 years...when you were eligible for retirement they would take all of your previous vested years monetary benefits under the Union controlled pension trusts and then make up the difference.

That is the reason for the “97 “ strike.. the Company gambled and lost, then tried to get out of creating the 22.3 positions promised claiming they lost so much volume that they couldn’t afford it.

Thebrownblob

Keeping UPS away from our pension benefits was also a Big Time Win...do you realize that if they would of taken control over everyone’s pension including the Western Conference. Look what they are doing to their own, they would of done the same thing to ours.

The formula proposed by he company back in “97” was 50 dollars per service year for your part time hours ..100 dollars per service year for your full time years... capped at 35 years...when you were eligible for retirement they would take all of your previous vested years monetary benefits under the Union controlled pension trusts and then make up the difference.

That is the reason for the “97 “ strike.. the Company gambled and lost, then tried to get out of creating the 22.3 positions promised claiming they lost so much volume that they couldn’t afford it.

I didn’t say their offer was appropriate at the time, but clearly central states was not going to be able to hold it self up without UPS help. There’s really no sugarcoating that.

And yes they gambled and lost after they agreed to the 22.3 positions they got their ass kicked in arbitration. The strike of 97 was an important milestone if for nothing else then to show we could unify.