Ready to Strike?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The central states need better money management

That and more contributing participants...

Unlike the Western when most of those Freight Companies baled or went bankrupt the Central did not diversify into other industries. Also remember that all of the part timer’s under the Central were not putting in the monetary contributions unlike the Western. Considering that back in the 90’s the ratio was close to 80 % of the UPS union workforce were part time it did not help the eventual Central’s underfunding problems.

Pullman Brown

And make no mistake I don’t think we’re getting a 15% first year raise. I believe we will get decent raises perhaps a little better pension, but the bulk of the money will go to part-timers. I do believe however there will be some change in work rules that is beneficial to us. People seem to forget this company is quite successful and I’m glad they are. But the reason they’re successful has a lot to do with The union workforce. Every contract is a time to reward the employees for the previous years of the contract before.

Does that include them fixing this six day debacle?

Superteeth2478

I know what it means. I understand the repercussions. I just have a hard time believing that someone would actually do it. Then have the bawls to come hang out on a union public forum and openly admit it.
No, you clearly don't know what "walk the line" means. "Walking the line" is the opposite of "crossing the line". "Walking the line" means holding the line. So in the spirit of that...

"HOLD! GIVE THEM SPARTA, BUT TAKE FROM THEM NOTHING!"

-Abraham Lincoln, from the movie "50 Shades of Gray", 2020

Last edited:

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Last paragraph of that article is a quote from Carol Tome it says this; “Our goal with the Teamsters is win-win-win,” she told investors in July. But she added that UPS is “building contingency plans.”

Anyone have ideas on what those contingency plans are? Because she declined to comment when asked.
I think they will lean heavily on non-union acquisitions (e.g. Roadie). They will also use PVDs and management people to run things. It will be a cluster hug, but packages will get delivered and picked up. I am betting they are working hard on a marketing campaign to spin their side better than they did in 1997.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I think they will lean heavily on non-union acquisitions (e.g. Roadie). They will also use PVDs and management people to run things. It will be a cluster hug, but packages will get delivered and picked up. I am betting they are working hard on a marketing campaign to spin their side better than they did in 1997.

You are forgetting about those UPS stores and access points, the Company has been gutting the Buildings’s Customer Counters for decades who for the most part are manned by teamster members.

Saying that all this talk about the “Company Contingency Plans” is just saber rattling. We are still 10 months away from the deadline, proposals have not been made yet. If there was a decision to oust the Union it would of been done decades ago.

A lot can happen in those 10 months. The economy can tank, inflation will still be in play, the stock market can crash, even another War somewhere. All those factors including the Midterms will be in play. Right now the Union is sitting pretty and from what I been hearing O’Brien is not asking for anything outlandish.

From the Company side I do not see them pushing the deadline to 1 August, they want this one settled big time as early as possible. Look they are gutting their own by reducing what they call redundant departments and subcontracting them out to gods knows. Their stock had doubled from the outset of this pandemic, profits are up, they can put any price on their shipping currently and not be worried about losing business because the other common carriers are doing the same thing.

The Brown Shadow

Keeping UPS away from our pension benefits was also a Big Time Win...do you realize that if they would of taken control over everyone’s pension including the Western Conference. Look what they are doing to their own, they would of done the same thing to ours.

The formula proposed by he company back in “97” was 50 dollars per service year for your part time hours ..100 dollars per service year for your full time years... capped at 35 years...when you were eligible for retirement they would take all of your previous vested years monetary benefits under the Union controlled pension trusts and then make up the difference.

That is the reason for the “97 “ strike.. the Company gambled and lost, then tried to get out of creating the 22.3 positions promised claiming they lost so much volume that they couldn’t afford it.
This issue with the pensions in 97 sounds like a reason to strike. I haven't seen anything as critical with the recent sabre rattling.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Why do so many people think UPS was going to "control" the pension? Don't they control it now by way of contributions? The real deal is that the Teamsters screwed up the funds and NEEDED UPS to take care of it (paying pensions to retirees from bankrupt companies). I'm sure Big Union Man will jump in and attempt to prove me wrong. The '97 strike was for one reason- to make sure UPS would fund the failing pension funds. The story of "winning" full-time jobs was just a story to try to make UPSers feel like they got a win.

Blazian81

Interesting article. What say ye?
Massive rail strike next week could deal another blow to America's economy

Massive rail strike next week could deal another blow to America's economy. They ready too the hard working ppls are getting tired of these big companies not caring

nWo

How the DHL contract handled the cameras.

Teamsters at UPS and elsewhere will be interested to see that the TA provides strong protections against inward-facing cameras in delivery vehicles. The company may install cab cameras that are outward facing but “for the duration of the agreement any audio recording functionality and driver facing cameras (including their driver recording and monitoring functionality) will be disabled and rendered inoperable to prevent recording and monitoring of in-cab activities.”

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
I throw load straps in the garbage
47BB1F75-762F-4580-B3C2-63E62D2DD2E6.jpeg

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Relax there will be no strike. Neither side wants a strike. There will be big huff and puff on both sides. We will get $5 or so raises over the next 5 years like the last contract and we done.