Ready to Strike?

It will work about as well as it worked in 1997.
There is certainly no doubt that UPS is better positioned for these negotiations. Can PVD's do everything? No. But they certainly will have no problem moving the trailers with Coyote. I don't believe they will have as big of a struggle "if" there is a strike. I'd love to know the percentage of the membership that actually knows when the contract expires. Probably a lot of people don't even know that there is a union. Our fat ass "BA" has allowed people to work up to three years without joining. Lol.

Thebrownblob

There is certainly no doubt that UPS is better positioned for these negotiations. Can PVD's do everything? No. But they certainly will have no problem moving the trailers with Coyote. I don't believe they will have as big of a struggle "if" there is a strike. I'd love to know the percentage of the membership that actually knows when the contract expires. Probably a lot of people don't even know that there is a union. Our fat ass "BA" has allowed people to work up to three years without joining. Lol.

I think you miss calculate the labor shortage they’re paying $21 an hour with a $75 a week bonus for showing up every day where I am right now and are over 80 to 100 people short on every sort. And you think they’re going to magically have all these people ready to move these packages? That’s comical. If in fact you think they’re going to pay more it would be just as easy for them to come to the table with a good offer and Move on. No one on the negotiating side of the Teamsters is going to be asking for anything that’s out of line.

Thebrownblob

I’ve had the pleasure of helping in negotiating three contracts in my local this year, in all three of these contracts the companies came with a minimum of 15% raises and many of these people are making over $30 an hour already. One of them got voted down, not because they wanted more money money but because they wanted more time off. The companies are bending over backwards to keep their employees because they realize they’re impossible to replace right now. Somewhere you think UPS has a couple hundred thousand people ready to go?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’ve had the pleasure of helping in negotiating three contracts in my local this year, in all three of these contracts the companies came with a minimum of 15% raises and many of these people are making over $30 an hour already. One of them got voted down, not because they wanted more money money but because they wanted more time off. The companies are bending over backwards to keep their employees because they realize they’re impossible to replace right now. Somewhere you think UPS has a couple hundred thousand people ready to go?

All the doomers on here... smh.

Thebrownblob

All the doomers on here... smh.

And make no mistake I don’t think we’re getting a 15% first year raise. I believe we will get decent raises perhaps a little better pension, but the bulk of the money will go to part-timers. I do believe however there will be some change in work rules that is beneficial to us. People seem to forget this company is quite successful and I’m glad they are. But the reason they’re successful has a lot to do with The union workforce. Every contract is a time to reward the employees for the previous years of the contract before.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
all this chest beating.....funny. same thing happened in 97 but at my hub people were ready to cross the line after 2 weeks.

if corp had kept us out another week they would have won.

Managers were asking us after we came back to work how much longer they would have stayed out and like idiots most drivers were saying "not much longer" because of mortgage and toy payments and they were not prepared.

You think managers were just curious by coincidence or did that come down from the top.

DUH
Even less time now before panic sets in. New cars, phone to pay for

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There is no such thing as an automatic win, we will not get everything we want it’s called an agreement for a reason.

You mean compromise. We could get everything we want, if the company agrees. We have to have the attitude going in that we will not settle for less or we start off in a weak position.

Thebrownblob

You mean compromise. We could get everything we want, if the company agrees. We have to have the attitude going in that we will not settle for less or we start off in a weak position.
Holy hell dude

The reality is the agreement will have to be beneficial to both sides in someway. We can make improvements and get wins that are reasonable and advantageous to us.

Much like buying a car everyone has a number in their head and if neither side gets close both sides will walk.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

It is not a matter of getting everything we want..I would be happy if they would correct injustices from the past concessionary agreements.

Let’s start off with equity in wages, pensions and healthcare for all our members, none of this business about some of our members getting half or less for the same amount of service years in their pension benefits.

We all seen this fear mongering before..every contract you have doom and gloom posters show up just before a contract year seeding worst case scenarios. And all of them are not Company plants, in the past we had our share of Union ones trying to persuade the rank and file to ratify another concessionary contract.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The reality is the agreement will have to be beneficial to both sides in someway. We can make improvements and get wins that are reasonable and advantageous to us.

Much like buying a car everyone has a number in their head and if neither side gets close both sides will walk.

It's fine to understand that the final deal will end up somewhere in the middle. But if you aren't playing to get as close to what you want as possible, you're leaving what you could have had in the pocket of the other guy. The car deal isn't that apt a comparison, because if you walk away from that, no one is really hurt. Walking away from labor negotiations because the company isn't willing to give up a little more profit will end up costing them a lot of profit, particularly in the short term, when we go on strike.