Ready to Strike?

Thebrownblob

It wouldn’t matter what FT Teamsters thought if Part -timers could organize their voting power, in solidarity, for positive change. Part-timers could improve the future for FT Teamster jobs.

My experience has been that a majority of FT UPS Teamsters are looking out only for themselves.

Part-Time Power!
Ultimately it’s sad that a Teamsters such as yourself who has been employed multiple decades practices the policies of division.

It’s already us against them and now you want to put us against each other.

If anything ignoring one segment of the membership hurts the whole body. No pre-loaders means drivers work longer hours. No part-timers in the building means packages don’t get moved on time. It’s a vicious cycle.

So instead of saying “full-time power” or “ Parttime power“

How about we just say “Teamster Power! “You know be a Union. When one part of the body hurts we all do.

Thankfully attitudes like yours are leaving with retirement.

Cowboy Mac

After reading the article on CNN , you may be right. The company speaks about a contingency plan if you go on strike. That sounds like chest beating BS. How are they going to replace 350,000 workers deliver 21,000,000 packages a day?

But what is worrisome is that UPS handles about 6% of the nations business , The president could order a NO STRIKE as a matter of national security as Reagan did with the air traffic controller strike.

The union called Reagan's bluff and lost. Those controllers were fired and replaced.

Something to think about.
If Joe Biden breaks our strike, the democrats are done for in 2024. He couldn’t have made it into office without the loyalty of the unions, despite Biden’s anti-worker covid policies.

Thebrownblob

If Joe Biden breaks our strike, the democrats are done for in 2024. He couldn’t have made it into office without the loyalty of the unions, despite Biden’s anti-worker covid policies.
Very doubtful Joe Biden will intervene in our strike, at least not for several weeks, even then I’m doubtful. He would however put pressure on both sides and have an arbitrator get involved.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ultimately it’s sad that a Teamsters such as yourself who has been employed multiple decades practices the policies of division.

It’s already us against them and now you want to put us against each other.

If anything ignoring one segment of the membership hurts the whole body. No pre-loaders means drivers work longer hours. No part-timers in the building means packages don’t get moved on time. It’s a vicious cycle.

So instead of saying “full-time power” or “ Parttime power“

How about we just say “Teamster Power! “You know be a Union. When one part of the body hurts we all do.

Thankfully attitudes like yours are leaving with retirement.
IMO If Part-time UPS Teamsters organize in solidarity and step up and recognize their collective bargaining power within the UPS Teamsters then I truly believe it would actually create solidarity between Part-time UPS Teamsters and Full-time UPS Teamsters and I also believe that it would start to actually counteract the marginalization of the part-time workforce within the UPS Teamsters and the division that currently exists between Part-timers and Full-timers at UPS.

Thebrownblob

IMO If Part-time UPS Teamsters organize in solidarity and step up and recognize their collective bargaining power within the UPS Teamsters then I truly believe it would actually create solidarity between Part-time UPS Teamsters and Full-time UPS Teamsters and I also believe that it would start to actually counteract the marginalization of the part-time workforce within the UPS Teamsters and the division that currently exists between Part-timers and Full-timers at UPS.
That’s not how it works at all, most part-timers are not there for a long-term career. They are here while they go to school, perhaps to supplement income, or insurance, or an even larger segment are looking at UPS for a career full-time. The vast majority of full-time employees come from the part-time ranks. In the last contract with minimal effort and minimal participation they won the fight for $15 an hour. about a four dollar an hour wage increase from the previous contract. Which was a huge item 2016 to 2019. Economics kicked in and now $15 an hour is not going to cut it. They will receive another hefty raise.

That’s not how it works at all, most part-timers are not there for a long-term career. They are here while they go to school, perhaps to supplement income, or insurance, or an even larger segment are looking at UPS for a career full-time. The vast majority of full-time employees come from the part-time ranks. In the last contract with minimal effort and minimal participation they won the fight for $15 an hour. about a four dollar an hour wage increase from the previous contract. Which was a huge item 2016 to 2019. Economics kicked in and now $15 an hour is not going to cut it. They will receive another hefty raise.
Well hopefully they don't make the same mistake they did with this contract.
When a new employee is making the same amount to somebody that's been here for a couple of years, that's not right

Integrity

Binge Poster
If they organize their collective bargaining power they could and should get paid much better even if they only give UPS a few years of their lives.

Part-timers should be getting a much larger share of the money UPS pays to employees than they currently are.

Let’s face it, current full-timers would never want part-timers to be able to harness the overwhelming bargaining power they would possess if they organize in solidarity for positive change.

If they organize their collective bargaining power they could and should get paid much better even if they only give UPS a few years of their lives.

Part-timers should be getting a much larger share of the money UPS pays to employees than they currently are.

Let’s face it, current full-timers would never want part-timers to be able to harness the overwhelming bargaining power they would possess if they organize in solidarity for positive change.
That will never happen

Thebrownblob

And let’s face it you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

Thebrownblob

That will never happen
The reason it won’t happen is because what part timers are there for, and what they want are way too varied. Almost impossible to pin down other than money. Full-time employees on the other hand are much easier and have a common goal…… ultimately retirement from the company. And all the stuff in between is very similar for most of us

The reason it won’t happen is because what part timers are there for and what they want are way too varied. Almost impossible to pin down other than money. Full-time employees on the other hand are much easier and have a common goal…… ultimately retirement from the company. And all the stuff in between is very similar for most of us
A majority of the part-timers do not have the same goals that we did when we started this job

Many are just passing through

Thebrownblob

A majority of the part-timers do not have the same goals that we did when we started this job

Many are just passing through
Precisely, there isn’t anything necessarily wrong with that, but it really makes it difficult for unity when everyone is going a different direction possibly as soon as six months or a year after a contract. They deserve a raise they are an essential part of the puzzle. But expecting them to ever vote in large quantities is pie in the sky. Having said that we have a very strong part-time contingent at my local although most of them who are involved plan on going full-time one way or another as soon as possible.

Johney

After reading the article on CNN , you may be right. The company speaks about a contingency plan if you go on strike. That sounds like chest beating BS. How are they going to replace 350,000 workers deliver 21,000,000 packages a day?

But what is worrisome is that UPS handles about 6% of the nations business , The president could order a NO STRIKE as a matter of national security as Reagan did with the air traffic controller strike.

The union called Reagan's bluff and lost. Those controllers were fired and replaced.

Something to think about.
If you think all 350,000 workers will strike you're a bigger fool than you portray here and if it goes any longer than two weeks even more will cross. Here in 97 as the days passed more and more people crossed.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I haven’t seen anything from the previous contracts that make it look like there won’t be a strike. No 2/3 rule. Plus the fact that you won’t get anything unless you strike.
As delivery and Class A drivers, we got industry leading wages and benefits. Don’t be so naïve.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The pressure on him may be too great.
Can you imagine the stock market decline?

It's just something that could happen.
Not impossible. we have to think of all possible scenarios.

Even though retired I still do care about the Teamsters and their future.

I mean, I’ll take it. My point was that we make some good cash without going on strike. Too many people take it too lightly.
I was just joking with you but on a serious note.

Besides our early conversation are benefit packages pretty damn good

Maybe everyone's pension isn't the same but unlike management at least they're still going to be paying into our pension