Really Stupid Message

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

These reminder messages are annoying enough but to make them response required puts me over the top. I think we all realize that the OMS clerks have a job to do and are basically doing what they are told to do but they, along with the mgt team, need to realize that we are adults and, if left alone, most of us will do the job for them. The call tags are in EDD so you either have to complete them or delete them; however, there are mornings where our OMS clerk does not get the call tags in to our slots and then will message asking us to complete them. Of course you have no idea what the item is that is being returned so unless I remember the stop I simply complete the call tag and then will go back the next day when I have the tag in hand.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I have the evening OMS send it to the drivers who have not picked up the RS tags by 430pm. Seems to work, some drivers have even thanked the OMS for reminding them.

Johngil

The bottom line is, its much faster to send a global ODS message, that it is to figure out who is not doing there job, and sending individual messages. Lot's of times it's the OMS sending out these msg's, besides doing the on-road sup's job, and handling dispatch, and all customer's requests. I think it a time thing.

over9five

Staff member
The bottom line is, its much faster to send a global ODS message, that it is to figure out who is not doing there job...

I'm sure Johns right, but I think they should send the message only to those who need it.
It really is demoralizing to get this message when you are a professional and do the job right every day.

Channahon

One thought would be the drivers that are doing the job, well, that's just positive reinforcement. Over the years, I would get requests for information, that I already submitted, but some other managers may not have, so I took pride in getting the information in a timely manner.

And didn't feel annoyed, because I did my job as requested. Now, if I received numerous requests for information that I knew was received and lost, that was a different kind of response to the department requesting the information.

I don't think the management team is sending out this message to annoy drivers, unfortunately, call tags generally have the lowest % effective when measured. As noted in the posts above, customers pay for call tags, just as well as shipping packages, and expect the same service levels on their return shipmets.

It also allows for the customer to resolve a matter with the consignee in a timely manner, as a call tag is usually issued, when a customer is not satisfied with the product they received, and don't feel they should pay the cost to have the item returned.

Okay, I'm done.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I just reply to them and remind management to do what we had spoken about earlier. Don't forget to fix so and so's payroll issue, Remember to put up the bid sheets for open routes, update the day off schedule, you get the point. Everyone should reply this was, point out were they are failing in their everyday jobs as management!

I'm sure Johns right, but I think they should send the message only to those who need it.
It really is demoralizing to get this message when you are a professional and do the job right every day.
So true, so true. It's the same with PCMs, it really sucks having to listen to the same ole...do this, do that when you are doing this and that. Good grief, talk to the guy that's messing up and let me get out on the route.

sealbasher

No but it gets really irritating to get stupid messages all day long telling us how to do our job.You are in the middle of a multi piece cod delivery and you get the message,we will be reprimanding drivers that fail to take all clerical pkgs from thier car,or,when lifting a pkg,test the weight first,or,if you have a pkg for 12345 sensesworkingovertime St,with tr #
IZYYYRRR95879465767...call the center asap,or,NO driver is to work over 9.5,or, I get an oncall for 300 pkgs at a bicycle factory in my P57,I could go on hoak,maybe they should just do a mass page saying,Do everything right,we are watching you.
Really though the call tags and RS labels are all in the system,all they have to do is dispatch them as oncalls with the amendment,RS label is at the center,and include the tr# in case the cust needs them.

lol i just got a letter for that,problem was p1200 blown out,pkg was 120 lbs and buried lol lol

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just reply to them and remind management to do what we had spoken about earlier. Don't forget to fix so and so's payroll issue, Remember to put up the bid sheets for open routes, update the day off schedule, you get the point.

LOL that's a good smarta** retort...I like that in a person.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The one that gets me the most is when the OMS's start second-guessing what we tell them. I had 2 messages today about a pkg that was supposed to be on my truck (EDD, yes we went live today) and the first time I told her that I didn't have it. She sent back, it (PAS) says it's on your truck. Ya well no ****t sherlock (didn't really say that - wanted to), it's in my board too but I DON"T HAVE IT!

It wouldn't have been so bad but my clerk and I looked for 10 mins this morning before I left, trying to find it.

browniehound

There's the problem!
Read the previous posts and you can see who are management personnel.
Read their responses and it's painfully obvious the flaw in their logic and tactics.
The perception of guilt by association destroys the morale of the employees that are doing right.
Treat a person like a maroon they may just become a maroon.
Managers do your job and identify the slackers and deal with them individually. Stop taking the easy way out.
In my center the flavor of the week is send agains. Instead of doing a little investigative work and identifying the avoidable send agains, we were all required to reattempt all send agains a second time. The first night I spent and hour and ten minutes on this quest. Eliminated 4 packages in the process at a cost of about $60 in my labor alone. Probably more than the amount of money spent to ship. Brilliant!!

I consider myself an easy going driver and my opinion is that it takes a lot to get under my skin. A recent issue at UPS is doing it however. We are no longer permitted to kick-back OCA that are mistakenly sent to us. The reason is with the new ODS-e system the dispacthers now show on a report for an OCA sent to the wrong driver.

I assume this is the case because they can now see where everyone is and with basic center knowlege know who the OCA belongs to. So instead of letting THEIR error show on a report we are told to accept the OCA and then send a message to the center to let them know its a mistake. Then, in theory, they will cancel the OCA and assign it to the correct driver.

The problem I have with this procedure is I have accepted them and sent my message only to have it NOT canceled in my DIAD. Second, when I do kick it back I get the message "don't send back OCA's, accept them and send a message after".

I have an opinion that UPS holds me accountable for my mistakes. Why should I hide the mistakes of the dispatch and center team? Its the most ridiculous request I've heard so far from UPS.

My response to "don't send back OCAs" should be "send it to the right driver and nobody will:smart:". I can't understand why this is so difficult. I've covered routes that cover about 2/3 of the center. I know immediately which OCAs belong to each driver. Why can't the dispatch get it right when its THEIR job?

It not rocket science! Nine-five percent of all OCAs go to same driver every time. Try using your brain for the questionable 5 percent. I can't believe this is even discussed considering the more pressing issues facing our great company :whiteflag:.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
BH, I send ODS p/u's back if they aren't mine. So far we have not gotten this directive to message instead of refusing them. I'm afraid that if it ever comes to that I would be the one to test the waters, so to speak. I believe that I would have to let it go to a warning letter and file on it. Just to see what happens. LOL:surprised:

Brownie, BTDT...I do understand your situation. What I do here is send it back and either call or message (usually call) the OMS and tell them why I kicked it back.(so far we haven't been told not to refuse them) Sometimes I have to explain to them that the driver it should be going to may well be further away right now, but they will be across the street from the pickup in a few hours. These are things the OMS usually wouldn't know. From what I understand they are told to look at the GPS to see who is closest at the time of tansmission. I tend to think of OMSes as the step children of management and figure we have to lead them by the hand to wipe their own ....noses.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had this happen Thursday morning. The first 2 OCAs that I received were not mine and I sent them back as "Not on area" and followed that up with a message back to the center. We also have yet to be told to accept them and then ask that they be reassigned. I may have to join Dilli in testing the water if they go down that road. I should have also mentioned that I don't get along with this particular OMS clerk (Clueless Kim) and she don't care for me (imagine that?!) so we have had some memorable ODS battles.

Tiny Panda

We had a pcm the other day when the ctr manager said they would be cutting down on the amount of msgs being sent to us, yet we still still get 3 msgs at different times of the afternoon saying "are you ok"

Channahon

Brownie,

Have you talked with your center manager, as that procedure is just plain wrong. If the dispatcher is making a mistake on a premium product like OCA, the dispatcher needs to be held accountable, that is why the report is generated. I

t's not if our drivers aren't busy enough with their routes, and then have to deal with an error, that could and should have never occurred.

If you don't see any results, contact the Security hotline or call the 1-800 number, regarding this integrity issue.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I was once inspired by a message !! on a hot day ,around 95 with 100% humidity!! message to ""get it done & come in,WE GOT WATER!!!"" oh boy,did I ever step it up a notch!!!!! RIGHT!

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
remember to deliver game stop befor noon... yup that was worth 20 cents. i cant imaging how much money we was doing this

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was once inspired by a message !! on a hot day ,around 95 with 100% humidity!! message to ""get it done & come in,WE GOT WATER!!!"" oh boy,did I ever step it up a notch!!!!! RIGHT!
Cove, we have been out of water for the last 2 days. They are supposed to come every Fri but apperently missed last fri. I think the water company should show up when the drivers are standing around ready to bite their heads off.