Rear-Ended

MassWineGuy

I’m curious if our telematics would confirm that you used your signal? I think they do record speed, GPS, seatbelt usage (in those vans with seatbelt sensors), etc.

I had a dude back into me at his house once. I was parked across the street and he just smashed into my truck. Ruled as a non-preventable thankfully so I didn’t have to fight it.

Was this in a company vehicle?

Falcon, at 250 feet going my speed, the signal would have been on for seven seconds. Not overly long imho.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Where in the DOK are we responsible for the actions of motorists behind us when traveling forward? This is a topic I brought up with a manager once and was told it is a grey area. He basically said that yes in a perfect world, motorists would all maintain 4-6/6-8 following distance but this is not a perfect world.

falcon back

Falcon, at 250 feet going my speed, the signal would have been on for seven seconds. Not overly long imho.
Smith System and most driving instructors say 100 ft before the turn unless that distance puts you near a driveway or side street. In those instances, you signal after the the last drive or side road. If you drive with your signal on for extended periods, other drivers tend to do crazy things.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was driving along in my Express van the other day and needed to make a left turn into a shopping plaza. The road had one lane in each direction and was a no passing zone. Not a highway, average speed was 30 mph or less.

I signaled left about 250 feet before the turn, slowed and began turning. As I did I felt a slight jolt, then in my left side mirror saw a car moving across the back of the van diagonally front to back along the passenger side. We pulled over.

The driver was upset but not nasty. He said I didn’t signal and that I cut him off. The passenger door to his Lexus was pretty well scratched and dented.

First, he hit me from behind. If I cut him off he had to have been trying to pass me in a no passing zone. Also, his registration expired two months ago.

I sure hope this event is considered unavoidable.
Your signal WAS on. Driver behind you was 100 percent at fault, signal or no signal.

MassWineGuy

Ok Falcon. I see the point. Next time I’ll bring out my tape measure. Btw. In Indiana and some other states the law is to activate the signal 200 feet prior to turning.

I was trained by a Smith System person and I liked it a lot. Learned many skills.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Smith System and most driving instructors say 100 ft before the turn unless that distance puts you near a driveway or side street. In those instances, you signal after the the last drive or side road. If you drive with your signal on for extended periods, other drivers tend to do crazy things.

@MassWineGuy just for your own benefit, I don't think you had your turn signal on for an "extended" amount of time. And, to correct you, if you were going 30mph, for 250' you would have only had your signal activated for about 5.7 seconds. It takes the average person .75 to 1.25 seconds to react once they see an action requiring input of steering or braking. Thanks for being a good motorist!

@falcon back see above...

Most of the motoring public that are, dare I say, "decent" drivers signal way before 100'. At 30 mph, you are traveling at 1.47 feet per second that gives the person behind you about 2.3 seconds to react and add input. 250' isn't bad at all.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
It doesn't matter. There was no police report. In Fedex land The truth is whatever the other guy says happened. Sorry.

!Retired!

The policy used to be if there were no injuries, no manager is needed. Just exchange information. I has an incident almost 2 years ago, no injuries, no other vehicle involved, my manager came out. She said the policy changed and now they have to go out to every incident, except if the person is accepting blame. There's a form in the packet that they sign to absolve FedEx from any fault.

As soon as the other person started placing the blame on you, I would have called the police to make a report.

MassWineGuy

The policy used to be if there were no injuries, no manager is needed. Just exchange information. I has an incident almost 2 years ago, no injuries, no other vehicle involved, my manager came out. She said the policy changed and now they have to go out to every incident, except if the person is accepting blame. There's a form in the packet that they sign to absolve FedEx from any fault.

As soon as the other person started placing the blame on you, I would have called the police to make a report.

Yes, you’re right. I just don’t have much experience dealing with this stuff. I do think that the state accident report to the local police will catch their interest.

11.19igrad

Don't know about Massachusetts but in Texas if there is no injury involved, you exchange insurance information and you can go about your way.

Also, in my experience, FedEx ALWAYS sends a manager to the scene to insure that all protocols are followed, and then rides with the courier to determine that they are able to complete the route without further incident.
same with ups and that first law
If that’s my only hope, I’m out of luck. Stores don’t usually share their video.

What are some reasons that this could be called avoidable?

— Should have used the eyes in the back of your head.

— Shouldn’t have cut him off, even if you didn’t.

— Should have employed your spidey sense and felt the presence of the other driver.
yep welcome to ups

McFeely

Huge Member
Wouldn't matter either way in this case. There's no defense to rear ending someone.

In FedEx though, things can still be ruled “preventable” even if the other driver was legally at fault.

If you don’t check to make sure an intersection is clear as a light turns green and you get t-boned by someone running a red light, the other driver is in the wrong legally but it can be deemed preventable by FX. But not all FX management is out to get drivers, so hopefully MWG is in the clear.

MassWineGuy

I can see being blamed for an intersection crash. But not when the car behind you is out of mirror range and is obviously following too closely. I can't think of any way that I could have prevented this. I look forward to hearing the crazy reasons how I should have.