Rear-Ended

falcon back

@MassWineGuy just for your own benefit, I don't think you had your turn signal on for an "extended" amount of time. And, to correct you, if you were going 30mph, for 250' you would have only had your signal activated for about 5.7 seconds. It takes the average person .75 to 1.25 seconds to react once they see an action requiring input of steering or braking. Thanks for being a good motorist!

@falcon back see above...

Most of the motoring public that are, dare I say, "decent" drivers signal way before 100'. At 30 mph, you are traveling at 1.47 feet per second that gives the person behind you about 2.3 seconds to react and add input. 250' isn't bad at all.
Your speed calculator is spot on but I guess you never attended Defensive Driiving by a Smith System trained instructor. #Smithsystem

MassWineGuy

One hundred feet seems a tad short to me, but I’ll try using that measurement. The Smith System is excellent. Must be why UPS uses so much of it without giving them credit.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Even better. He was a cop who investigated accidents.

You're giving away all my secrets. Now someone might actually think I'm supposed to know what I am talking about.

Apparently his training contradicts what Smith System teaches. When FDX investigates an accident, whose numbers are they gonna use for their findings?

So, just curious, what numbers are we talking about. Speed? Following to closely? Braking efficiency? What does the Smith System have to do with the scenario the OP posted about. If the OP had rear-ended another vehicle, I would agree that he failed to use the Smith System but since he was the one struck, it does not apply.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You're giving away all my secrets. Now someone might actually think I'm supposed to know what I am talking about.

So, just curious, what numbers are we talking about. Speed? Following to closely? Braking efficiency? What does the Smith System have to do with the scenario the OP posted about. If the OP had rear-ended another vehicle, I would agree that he failed to use the Smith System but since he was the one struck, it does not apply.
I know you know what you’re talking about or you wouldn’t say it.

Star B

White Lightening
In short: They might be able to tell turn signal usage.
Long: I haven't looked far enough into the caltrans units to see if they do canbus snooping. even if they do, it is still dependant on the vehicle its hooked up to broadcast it over the canbus to be read.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
In FedEx though, things can still be ruled “preventable” even if the other driver was legally at fault.

If you don’t check to make sure an intersection is clear as a light turns green and you get t-boned by someone running a red light, the other driver is in the wrong legally but it can be deemed preventable by FX. But not all FX management is out to get drivers, so hopefully MWG is in the clear.

How do you prevent being rear-ended when you're still moving?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What was the topic?

The topic is "Can we take something so simple and overthink it to the point of absurdity?"

I think maybe we should call in multiple forensic scientists and automotive engineers, along with an accident reconstructionist, to see who is at fault in a routine rear-end collision.

MassWineGuy

I’m with you on this one, Dano. If they tell me I could have avoided this I’ll seriously consider talking to a lawyer.

So far, as I see it, the other driver faces a citation for driving unregistered, probably losing his insurance and getting some points on his record. And maybe losing his car lease when Toyota learns what happened. (Now just how would they find that out???)

dmac1

No damage to your rear bumper and his driver door damaged??? Did he rear end you with his door? I can see how if he swerved, he could get the door damage from the right corner of your bumper, but if you have no damage on your vehicle to show where your vehicle contacted his, he could claim your right front contacted his door. Your report filed later means almost nothing except that you had time to think about your answers. If he rear ended you, commonly his bumper would be damaged, not his door. I think you should check the bumper to see if one end of the bumper is even a half inch closer to the body- which would indicate contact, hopefully on the right rear of your truck.

fdxsux

What’s all the fuss about? Worried you won’t get that pair of binoculars for your safe driving award? As long as you don’t get in 2 more accidents this year you’re good.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
No damage to your rear bumper and his driver door damaged??? Did he rear end you with his door? I can see how if he swerved, he could get the door damage from the right corner of your bumper, but if you have no damage on your vehicle to show where your vehicle contacted his, he could claim your right front contacted his door. Your report filed later means almost nothing except that you had time to think about your answers. If he rear ended you, commonly his bumper would be damaged, not his door. I think you should check the bumper to see if one end of the bumper is even a half inch closer to the body- which would indicate contact, hopefully on the right rear of your truck.
I signaled left about 250 feet before the turn, slowed and began turning. As I did I felt a slight jolt, then in my left side mirror saw a car moving across the back of the van diagonally front to back along the passenger side. We pulled over.
Comprehension grade: friend