Rear view monitor too bright?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My P-700 has one of the older CRT rear view monitors with a knob that can dim the screen down to almost nothing for night driving. Yesterday my car was pulled for maintainence, and its replacement had one of the newer flat-screen LCD monitors. The problem I ran into once it got dark was that, even when I dimmed it down to its lowest setting, it was so bright that it completely obscured my night vision and made it impossible for me to see what was in my rear-view mirrors. The monitor itself was functionally useless due to the rain and fog buildup on the camera, and to make matters worse the car was a 20 yr old International with dim backup lights and no marker lights on the side. It was like trying to drive in the dark while someone shined a flashlight right in my face. With no way to dim it any further or shut it off, I finally resorted to taping a piece of cardboard over it so that I could at least see. I did this job for 14 years without a backup monitor so it was no great loss, but it seems like a huge design flaw and I am told that the CRT monitors will all eventually be replaced with the LCD flat screens. Am I the only one who is having a problem with them being too damn bright?

Buck Fifty

Maybe some window tint. Hell , the glare from the street,house, and head lights are bad enough. I'm able to dim mine enough though.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Have you reported this to your safety committee?

No, they would probably just give me an Eight Point Night Vision Commentary to recite, along with a bag of carrots for extra vitamin A. This is an equipment issue, and the SafetyCommittee doesnt concern itself with unsafe equipment.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I thought I was the only one...I push mine as high to the ceiking as I can, cuts down on the glare. Hard to move, but I moved it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How about the dash boards on the newer trucks? The are angled so the dash lights reflect against the windshield! So stupid! All it needed is to be more parallel with a lip on the top to block the light.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
It is true that the CRT monitors are being phased out. New ones are not available any more. If there wasn't so much concern about the little urchins hanging on the rear, they could easily be wired to only come on in reverse in a matter of minutes.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
My P-700 has one of the older CRT rear view monitors with a knob that can dim the screen down to almost nothing for night driving. Yesterday my car was pulled for maintainence, and its replacement had one of the newer flat-screen LCD monitors. The problem I ran into once it got dark was that, even when I dimmed it down to its lowest setting, it was so bright that it completely obscured my night vision and made it impossible for me to see what was in my rear-view mirrors. The monitor itself was functionally useless due to the rain and fog buildup on the camera, and to make matters worse the car was a 20 yr old International with dim backup lights and no marker lights on the side. It was like trying to drive in the dark while someone shined a flashlight right in my face. With no way to dim it any further or shut it off, I finally resorted to taping a piece of cardboard over it so that I could at least see. I did this job for 14 years without a backup monitor so it was no great loss, but it seems like a huge design flaw and I am told that the CRT monitors will all eventually be replaced with the LCD flat screens. Am I the only one who is having a problem with them being too damn bright?

I turn mine around facing away from me at night. I have the same problem

over9five

Staff member
What would you say to your center manager/on car if you are involved in a hit from behind or a backing accident and your monitor is covered by your hat?
So Upstate, what would be your solution?
​You can't see your mirrors because the monitor is too bright, but you would like to have use of the monitor.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It is true that the CRT monitors are being phased out. New ones are not available any more. If there wasn't so much concern about the little urchins hanging on the rear, they could easily be wired to only come on in reverse in a matter of minutes.

There is a power button on them. Why doesn't it work?

What would you say to your center manager/on car if you are involved in a hit from behind

"the guy that hit me wasn't using his space and vis"

or a backing accident

"I swept my back area before backing therefore I didn't have a backng accident"

and your monitor is covered by your hat?