Them rear view camera feeds are recorded, in case you didn't know it.

quad decade guy

Your not kidding. I posted to this to try to be helpful and explain how the telematics works and how it can not be used to transmit video data and he decides to be not only insulting and condescending but ignorant as well

Lol, I still can't get over the absurdity of his post.. yeah, we are going to call the engineer in Atlanta on how to fix stuff at 3 am.. Are we going to call our sup that is neither an engineer or a mechanic? Yeah, no * I don't know the source code for the programming in the unit and no I don't sit in high level meetings and those people don't even know I exist. but I don't need to know the geotab source code to read the specs on it and see what its wired to and what data those other devices put out. After that it's just common sense.
Yeah...no kidding.

I can't get over the absurdity of your self importance. LOL.

I've been around a long time. True.

Right you aren't going to call anyone. Just push the unit off to the fence for 3 weeks until someone decides to swap parts. Not always that way but I have been the victim of UPS "automotive". Assigned vehicles just disappearing with all your stuff in it forever. "Uh yeah....we sent that tractor to so and so...." "They have it now..."

"Hey man, the check engine light comes on every night and I have to stop and reset it....every night". Mechanic:" Yeah they do that..."
Result? Ok for service unable to duplicate...
9 times out of 10, YOU will send it off to Mack, Freightliner whoever. Fact.

So, is that why we have so many contractors doing "automotive stuff"? Because you eggheads are tracing software code all night?

To be fair, we have some great mechanics....helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and effective. And you are told what to do.

Now, knowing for a long time how UPS spends $100 to save a dime, and how more than anything- how the fear of someone losing their job(mgt and hourly) can determine how and what gets fixed....Take all electric vehicles for example. CNG. OMG. Here, along my corridor, there are only 2 chances to get CNG fuel. If one is inop and you don't have the range....you are getting a $1000 tow. Stuff like that.

We(drivers) are like the military as was so famously said: "We go into battle with what we have not what we want to have".

Last example: Me: " My coolant level alarm goes off all the time, yet it shows within level range...." Mechanic: "Just over fill it they do that..." Me: " But it just overflows..." Mechanic: "shrug". This goes on and on.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Yeah...no kidding.

Right you aren't going to call anyone. Just push the unit off to the fence for 3 weeks until someone decides to swap parts. Not always that way but I have been the victim of UPS "automotive". Assigned vehicles just disappearing with all your stuff in it forever. "Uh yeah....we sent that tractor to so and so...." "They have it now..."

"Hey man, the check engine light comes on every night and I have to stop and reset it....every night". Mechanic:" Yeah they do that..."

So, is that why we have so many contractors doing "automotive stuff"? Because you eggheads are tracing software code all night?

To be fair, we have some great mechanics....helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and effective. And you are told what to do.

Now, knowing for a long time how UPS spends $100 to save a dime, and how more than anything- how the fear of someone losing their job(mgt and hourly) can determine how and what gets fixed....Take all electric vehicles for example. CNG. OMG. Here, along my corridor, there are only 2 chances to get CNG fuel. If one is inop and you don't have the range....you are getting a $1000 tow. Stuff like that.

We(drivers) are like the military as was so famously said: "We go into battle with what we have not what we want to have".

Last example: Me: " My coolant level alarm goes off all the time, yet it shows within level range...." Mechanic: "Just over fill it they do that..." Me: " But it just overflows..." Mechanic: "shrug". This goes on and on.
Lol, my self importance... Really. You have some stupid misinformed opinion based on some butthurt about mechanics. If your in person persona is anything like your online persona they probably don't like you much

I think your just trolling me now. Nobody could work here for 40 years and be that ill informed.

I have never done this before but you are going on ignore

Last edited:

Redtag

The guys a idiot. The funny thing is... Remember he was FT at 19 in automotive... Yet doesn't seem to understand.

Yeah he is, I am not sure why I was arguing with him, maybe my post about knowing quite a bit about telematics was taken the wrong way.

Anyway, he never worked in automotive, I am certain of that. He lacks a basic understanding of how the automotive dept. Is structured. I was not around 40 years ago but I worked with old timers when I first was hired that were around back then, UPS used the fleet system back then as well and expected independence from us.

Even in shops where the work is dispatched through a central dispatch system the technicians are expected to be able to identify and fix problems independently so I doubt he has ever been any sort of mechanic here or anywhere else.

quad decade guy

I am not self important. It is literally my job to fix these things. So yeah I am likely to know more than the drivers about the system. Is it that hard to believe the company gives us tools to fix the trucks including the electronics in it? Seriously, you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I have a package car fleet, They need the package cars every night in the line. We can't push them off to the fence of 3 weeks and wait for these magical people to tell us how to fix it. We diag and fix the stuff that night

I don't know what goes on in your district. Up here we fix everything in house unless we don't have the tools yet. Then we get those tools so it doesn't happen again.If a tractor or package car goes out it get grieved.

We
don't care if a mechanic is out either. Get it covered or tow the truck to another UPS shop in the district.

The tractor is not yours by the way, it belongs to UPS if we need it to what the company that owns it wants us to do to it then we take it. If your that concerned about your personal belongings take them with you.
Wow. So, you are mgt.? If not...well you sound EXACTLY like ours. Not a care in the world for the driver. You are making my argument exactly. BTW, that's not YOUR fleet. It's UPS's. This is making more sense now. And no, nothing you say resembles anything we experience around here. Laughable. If not incredible. Bizarre. Any hint of a complicated problem here....towed off to a dealer.

Your comment about personal belongings is breathtaking. You sound EXACTLY like the snot nosed ORS's that have NEVER driven anything before being promoted(generally based on race/gender). WOW. And you sound just like Automotive Sup's/Mgr.s/District Automotive Mgr.s....the same exact script and hostility.

BTW, imagine taking your toolbox home every night. Or "Where's my toolbox?" "We sent it across town...too bad....take it home every night if you don't like it.....this isn't your tractor.....matter of fact: you are just a contractor and don't actually work at UPS....you are contract to contract.....". Ever heard any of that? I have. And that's EXACTLY what you have said. EXACTLY.

We?

Units being contracted out is completely normal here. Normal.

Thanks. This last round has been illuminating. I was in Automotive for 9 years. Watched the campaign items through the years and truly wasteful and inane things and attitudes that went on. And the people who made those decisions. Your Godlike self reverence and super team self projected image is simply unrecognizable here. Or Operations.

Package Stick

"Send it."
Live feeds of anything are becoming cheap, however, this is UPS we're talking about.

The center manager got the driver to admit, it was not a video who "got" them (more to the story).

As compression algos, and data storage become cheaper, any company storing video feed for longer than a month will become widespread.

It would be more efficient to flag drivers who the company is concerned about, and save that footage to look over with a data set (AI) trained for "abnormal backing" (getting out of the vehicle within 1min of backing, in then out of the vehicle, could be anything, etc).

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Yeah...no kidding.

Quad - “blah blah blah blah blah “
Mechanic- “shrugs “ lol 😂

Redtag

Live feeds of anything are becoming cheap, however, this is UPS we're talking about.

The center manager got the driver to admit, it was not a video who "got" them (more to the story).

As compression algos, and data storage become cheaper, any company storing video feed for longer than a month will become widespread.

It would be more efficient to flag drivers who the company is concerned about, and save that footage to look over with a data set (AI) trained for "abnormal backing" (getting out of the vehicle within 1min of backing, in then out of the vehicle, could be anything, etc).

Some other companies have setups that do just that. They have preset events that trigger a recording and that video is uploaded. UPS currently does not have anything like that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This was the last I remember hearing anything about it.

ups_installing_cameras_inside_package_cars

That's where I got the info. Then our BA came to our center with a letter from the Teamsters about the issue. Is the claim that UPS is testing them out fake news? I believe the letter said it was going on somewhere in Texas.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That's where I got the info. Then our BA came to our center with a letter from the Teamsters about the issue. Is the claim that UPS is testing them out fake news? I believe the letter said it was going on somewhere in Texas.

Memo

To: UPS Local Unions
From: Denis J. Taylor, IBT Package Division Director Date: September 2, 2020
Re: Telematics

UPS is testing an enhancement of the Telematics system in four centers in Texas and Oklahoma. The Package Division is in the process of investigating the enhancements in the context of Articles 6 and 37.

We have been assured by UPS that there is no driver facing video or audio capability; there is a sensor that sounds an alert when sensing a distracted driver.

If any Local Union Officer or Business Agent has verified information to the contrary of this, please contact the Package Division.
DJT:kbl

Last I heard anything about it.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Memo

To: UPS Local Unions
From: Denis J. Taylor, IBT Package Division Director Date: September 2, 2020
Re: Telematics

UPS is testing an enhancement of the Telematics system in four centers in Texas and Oklahoma. The Package Division is in the process of investigating the enhancements in the context of Articles 6 and 37.

We have been assured by UPS that there is no driver facing video or audio capability; there is a sensor that sounds an alert when sensing a distracted driver.

If any Local Union Officer or Business Agent has verified information to the contrary of this, please contact the Package Division.
DJT:kbl

Last I heard anything about it.
Well it's good to know that Denis is on it. Lol.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Well it's good to know that Denis is on it. Lol.

He didn't succumb to TDU like O'Brien and Zucker-face.

I have never met Sean, but he is held (locally) in high regard. He was miffed at being removed as Pkg director.

Zucker-face is a self-serving politician. He rode around Las Vegas on his Harley with his license plate TDU-SUX.

1608214640420.png

Now, he wants their votes and is going to change things.

He's been in office for over 18 yrs.

* He looks like he eats at the buffet *

:biggrin:

What'dyabringmetoday???

He didn't succumb to TDU like O'Brien and Zucker-face.

I have never met Sean, but he is held (locally) in high regard. He was miffed at being removed as Pkg director.

Zucker-face is a self-serving politician. He rode around Las Vegas on his Harley with his license plate TDU-SUX.

View attachment 321569

Now, he wants their votes and is going to change things.

He's been in office for over 18 yrs.

* He looks like he eats at the buffet *

:biggrin:
Most of them do look that way. Rough life for sure. But again- thanks Denis. Amazing things have happened.