Rear view monitor picture quality

rod

Retired 22 years

They didn't even have those cameras when you were driving. They are useful but not required.[/QUOTE]
And yet I still made it to being a Circle of Honor member.

rod

Retired 22 years
View attachment 223852 If you have one of the new package cars with a color rear view monitor, you have probably noticed the weird picture quality at night, with red ghost images in the corners of the screen.
This is caused by a design flaw.
Above the door of the new cars is a brush that is supposed to keep out the dust.
It is attached to the car with a bright, unpainted aluminum strip that is directly below the camera lens.
This strip reflects any available light, including the red top marker lights, back up into the camera lens which causes the ghost images.
I fixed this problem by putting black electrical tape over the strip. It made a huge improvement in the picture quality.
After peak is over I will ask the mechanic to paint it flat black or brown, but in the meanwhile the tape works just as well.

UPS has discovered a tape that will stick to dirt? There is probably more money in that than delivering packages

oldngray

nowhere special
They didn't even have those cameras when you were driving. They are useful but not required.
And yet I still made it to being a Circle of Honor member.[/QUOTE]
You drove like a race car driver. What's behind you isn't important.

Those who started driving after they started using those cameras tend to rely on them too much like its a regular rear view mirror.

rod

Retired 22 years
And yet I still made it to being a Circle of Honor member.
You drove like a race car driver. What's behind you isn't important.

Those who started driving after they started using those cameras tend to rely on them too much like its a regular rear view mirror.[/QUOTE]

We backed by mirrors but mostly by sound and touch

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The new cars have a rear overhead light that you can turn on. Very handy if you are hooking up a pup trailer in the dark.

As an additional feature
This light can be used for added visibility at night as it only activates when the truck is shut off.

542thruNthru

They didn't even have those cameras when you were driving. They are useful but not required.

I had this discussion with my center manager. I told him the rules of backing say "use your back up camera as a 3rd mirror" mirrors are required so I can't drive this package car with out it's 3rd mirror. So I took it to the shop. :)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I had this discussion with my center manager. I told him the rules of backing say "use your back up camera as a 3rd mirror" mirrors are required so I can't drive this package car with out it's 3rd mirror. So I took it to the shop. :)
Interesting because (I believe) in certain states, if a truck has a backing camera, it must be functional otherwise it will not pass inspection.

542thruNthru

Not in my center it wasn’t. We have so many trees in MN that branches causing a broken mirror wasn’t considered an accident.

We have so many cars in CA that hitting one isn't considered a accident.

giphy-21.gif

sikidiki

The new cars have a rear overhead light that you can turn on. Very handy if you are hooking up a pup trailer in the dark.
If you have the spotlight switch on in your truck then your truck has to be off for the spotlight to turn on. It will help with visibility of your truck at night to other drivers coming behind you in addition to your hazards and other lights, it can also help light your path in rural areas when you have to go the back of your truck to cross the road at night.